Gift basket suggestions

socks

A friend is undergoing radiation therapy, and I want to send her a care package. Below is a list of what I'm thinking of. I'd appreciate any feedback over my choices or additional suggestions. I know most of this she does not need, but I do want to make a gesture.

Pretty mug, tea

Burts Bees cuticle cream

Burts Bees lip balm

Emery boards

Book (small, cutsey)

100-pc. jigsaw puzzle...easy

Lavender drawer sachets (too smelly?)

Mints?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lindsey_CA

I know that lavender is a very popular scent for relaxation, etc., but I am one person who absolutely does not like the smell of lavender. So, I would make sure she likes it before sending any.

As for suggestions of what do add... what about a lap blanket that she can use for comfort when she's undergoing the radiation, or afterwards?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
Fun2BHere

Nothing with scent. Hard candy rather than mints if she is experiencing dry mouth. Is she still working? Actual time for each radiation appointment is short, but sometimes there's waiting before the appointment, so how about a selection of magazines for her to take with her...one at a time...to pass the time? I assume they will give her a prescription for Radiaplex creme to use on her skin, but if not, perhaps some pure aloe gel.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I googled the topic and a breast cancer survivor suggested a good moisturizer since "your skin gets extremely dry from chemotherapy".

You wondered about mints. Her suggestion was ginger candy, since ginger helps with nausea.

Also mentioned were fuzzy socks for comfort.

Here's the site: https://www.self.com/gallery/gifts-for-someone-going-through-chemotherapy

Another site suggested an adult coloring book and supplies.

You may want to search for "gifts for radiation patients" or similar. Some sites are only trying to sell their products but there are other more thoughtful sites too.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Chemotherapy is very different from radiation therapy and each will produce different side effects, although some can overlap. Fatigue and dry skin are most common with radiation but hair loss is also a possibility. Depending on where the radiation is directed, nausea is not often an issue but lack of appetite can be and radiation patients are encouraged to eat small high calorie, high protein meals.

Save     Thanked by socks
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Hair turban, lap blankets, soft mittens and socks. I have a friend going through both and those are things she likes. Her hands and feet are cold often.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by socks
patriciae_gw

I like the idea of skin care products. All those drying waiting rooms and stress can crisp you. Lip balm is a great idea and hand creams and such. Food items can be dicey depending on the person and even someone you know can have changes in taste even from radiation. Skin care is so comforting and relaxing. Toss in a book of easy Sudoku or other pencil puzzles that you can pic up and put down.

nicole___

My 1st thought was a hair turban or cute hat. An eyebrow pencil w/sharpener.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

How about a gift card for a massage? A reflexology foot or hand massage can be very soothing if you don't think she would like a full body massage.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ginger candies, excellent for nausea.

Kathsgrdn

I wouldn't do the lavender either. Unless you know she likes it. A book would be good if you know it's the type she likes.

1 Like Save     Thanked by socks
socks

She likes lavender, but maybe it won't appeal to her in this time of life. I'll skip that.

As for the book, it will just be some kind of fluff thing, jokes or some such. But I do like the Sudoku idea.

Thank you everyone. You've given me some great ideas.

Save    
cynic

I kind of like the word find books, not a lot of concentration involved - primarily distraction if you're nervous. I'd put in a hand sanitizer too. When you're in public, touching anything and then trying to eat something is a gross thought. Maybe a few bottles of a favorite drink or even small bottles of water. A little softside cooler with reusable ice packs to keep them cool while traveling. NO SCENTED THINGS! MD Anderson was very specific with that point with my aunt. Maintaining nutrition is important. Some Quest Bars/cookies will give needed protein and some nutrition. A little notepad and a pen for taking notes could be handy.

joann_fl

here are some ideas gifts

bleusblue2

I say a small odd sized pillow that she might put in the small of her back or use to prop up an arm, use it on her lap. I gave one to a friend who was very happy with it. I like them myself.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by socks

Related Stories

The Polite House The Polite House: What’s an Appropriate Gift to Welcome a New Neighbor?
Etiquette expert Lizzie Post suggests the right time and best presents to introduce a new neighbor to your area
Full Story
Holidays 12 Potted Plants That Make Long-Lasting Holiday Gifts
A miniature conifer, blooming amaryllis or desktop succulent could be the perfect gift for someone on your list
Full Story
Accessories 41 Great Gifts for Home Decor
Houzz Gift Guide 2010: Color, Fun and Style for the Rooms We Use Most
Full Story
Most Popular Gift Giving the Simple-ish Way
If buying holiday gifts drives you to the spiked holiday punch, try these easier but still rewarding traditions
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: Do I Have to Display Decor Given to Me as a Gift?
Etiquette columnist Lizzie Post tackles the challenge of accepting and displaying home decor gifts from frequent visitors
Full Story
Crafts Holiday DIY: 25 Ideas for Make-Your-Own Decor and Gifts
We show you how to create cute and clever Christmas and Hanukkah gifts, ornaments, wreaths and more
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Treasuring the Gift of Grandparents
You can enrich your family life by bringing generations together for shared meals, quilting projects, storytelling
Full Story
Home Offices 40 Stylish Gifts for the Home Office
Houzz Gift Guide 2010: Gifts That Keep a Workspace Fun, Organized and Looking Good
Full Story