Blueberry pancakes.....or so I thought

eld6161

DH and I went to a diner for breakfast. Not a usual haunt but a place on our way home from a doctor's appointment.

Maybe I live under a rock, but I didn't read the menu like it was a legal document. I decided on pancakes and above the pancake choices read: strawberry, blueberry and chocolate chips. Then the pancakes: griddle, whole wheat and silver dollars. The waitress asked if I wanted compote or fresh when I said I wanted blueberry pancakes.

DH order corned beef hash, eggs and toast.

Raise your hand if you expected the blueberries to actually be cooked within the pancakes? I received 3 large pancakes and a small plate of blueberries.

Again, maybe it's me, but I have never seen blueberry pancakes served this way.

DH was upset with his order. The hash was extremely dry and the egg which could have been the saving grace if they were runny like usual in this type of scenario, were almost hard boiled.

We explained our disappointment to the waitress. She explained that the pancakes were served this way due to allergies? Okaaaay????? Next (she obviously spoke to the manager) the manager came over to us and he said if the pancakes are cooked with in the batter, it ruins the griddle! He did not have an explanation for how dry the corned beef and eyes were. He tols us he would remove the corned beef, which we did not want him to do. We said we were more than glad to pay for it all, this was not our intention. We gave the waitress a huge tip. We appreciated the kindness, but we won't be back.

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gwagain

Never heard of blueberries on the side.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
amylou321

That's weird for sure. I always expect whatever flavor the pancake is to be cooked in the batter as well. The only exception I remember is when i was very small and I ordered cherry pancakes at some place on vacation and was presented with a huge plate of plain pancakes smothered in cherry pie filling and whipped cream. I did not have any problem with that. :)

It was.....SO GOOD.

blfenton

If the menu says blueberry pancakes I would expect the blueberries to be cooked inside the pancakes. If it says pancakes served with blueberry compote then I would expect the compote to be served on top of the pancake with whipping cream, of course.

Your experience seems odd to me.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
Lars

I agree: don't go back there.

The blueberries should be frozen when they are added to the pancake batter, and then there will be no issue with damaging the griddle.

eld6161

Even funnier. If I had chosen the chocolate chip I would have received a side of chocolate chips.

6 Likes Save    
cooper8828

I remember DH ordering banana nut pancakes once. They were plain pancakes with sliced bananas and shopped nuts on top. The look of disbelief on his face was priceless. When something completely stuns us, since then, we call it the "banana pancake face."

5 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
bpath Oh Sophie

DH learned, I can’t remember where, to pour the batter onto the griddle THEN put the blueberries on top While it cooks. Ensures even number of blueberries in each pancake.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by eld6161
jemdandy

I've never heard of blueberries pancakes ruining a griddle, but I do know something that does - chocolate chips! I was on a Boy Scout weekend camping trip and we were supposed to have blueberry pancakes the next morning. The Scout who was should have packed the blueberries forgot to do so. Blueberry morning arrived and at that moment, he remembered, so did he talk to his leaders - No! In Boy Scout fashion, he improvised. He tossed a box of chocolate chips into the batter. The pancakes were edible, but the griddle, wow. It had dark spots on it that would not wash off.

1 Like Save     Thanked by eld6161
marilyn_c

That is how I make blueberry pancakes, oh Sophie. Pour the batter, then add the blueberries. I sure wouldn't expect them served on the side. If it was the compote, yes, but not regular blueberry pancakes.

OutsidePlaying

Yep, should have had blueberries in the batter. I have never had just the berries in the side like that.

And yes, I too put the blueberries into the batter after pouring it on the griddle.

sprtphntc7a

i would have been so disappointed with blueberries on the side, changes the taste and texture of the pancakes!! let alone they are not even warm.... ugh!

i add both ways, to the batter and on top when cooking, fine either way for me:)

nicole___

That doesn't sound good. Our problem with eating out around here...if it's any good..it's so packed it takes an hour to be served. We have friends that want to go-out-to-eat....I told them they should pick the restaurant. I usually dislike the service or the food.

pudgeder

Raising my hand!!

Andie

How bizarre.

joann_fl

ha ha ha they should be inside

Martha Scott

Yeah, would you have received a side of chocolate chips if you had ordered that kind? And chocolate chips would mess up the grill far more than blueberries if anything in pancakes "messes up" the grill!

blfenton

I incorrectly anticipated what you were going to say. I thought you were going to say would you have received a side of chocolate chips if you ordered a chocolate chip cookie.

chisue

Truly strange! Yes, I wondered about the 'chips on the side' possibility. I don't think I've ever known anyone who was allergic to *blueberries*.. I think the manager was being 'creative'.

lisa_fla

My Sister (Renee-FL) ordered a meal with spinach on the side. Her plate was brought to her with the spinach raw next to the meat! Sounds like maybe they didn't want to admit an error? It would be tempting to go back and order the chocolate chip ones. Check Yelp reviews and see if anyone wrote about the pancakes!

Kathsgrdn

It ruins the griddle? Really? They need to ask Ihop and a million other restaurants where they buy their griddles, because something's not right...

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That seems odd to me, too. When I do make pancakes, I always add blueberries or c. chips or peanut butter or chopped apple, and have never had a problem with the griddle.

Related Stories

DIY Projects Maker Faire: Pancake Printers, an Electric Giraffe and So Much More
Passionate makers bring their latest wares to an annual festival where creativity meets tech
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Life 12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
Shrubs Summer Crop: How to Grow Blueberries
Plant blueberries in spring or fall for garden beauty through three seasons — and a sweet superfood in summer
Full Story
Southeast Native Plants Great Design Plant: Grow Blueberries for Their Fruit and More
Eastern gardeners should consider growing blueberry plants for their delicious fruits, bee-friendly spring blooms and brilliant fall foliage
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Patio-Perfect Berry Bushes Like You’ve Never Seen
Small enough for pots but offering abundant fruit, these remarkable bred berries are a boon for gardeners short on space
Full Story
Most Popular Design an Easy-Clean Kitchen
By Pangaea
"You cook and I'll clean" might no longer be a fair trade with these ideas for low-maintenance kitchen countertops, cabinets and floors
Full Story
Guest Picks: Summer Cottage Breakfast Table
Wake up to a thoughtfully set table for a simple morning meal by the lake
Full Story