I would buy this house if I was handy with buidling things

Kathsgrdn

Amazon selling tiny homes! But an acre lot, put this house on it. I could be debt free a lot sooner than with my current home. Wish they had pictures of the inside in this article. I didn't try and find it on Amazon's site yet. https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/amazon-customers-can-buy-a-tiny-home-for-less-than-20000-along-with-free-shipping

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

But there is the price of the lot, site prep, permits, plumbing, heating and electrical....... etc.

2 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Everything old is new again. Back in the day Sears Roebuck sold houses in its catalogs.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

Ever watch one of those tiny house segments? Some of the ones shown often cost much more than what purchasing a trailer already finished would be. While this one sits on the ground as Elizabeth pointed out you need all of those things plus insulation as the description states the walls are less than two inch thick.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

I wonder if our very own master home restoration artist Nicole could be hired to travel to fix up a small house?

2 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I too am amazed at how much the finished Tiny Houses are on Tiny House Nation. Sometimes like $60,000. Granted, that's less than a $100 - 200,000 home but still.

I'm always on the look out for old out buildings or sheds that people want to get rid of, thinking they could be re-purposed into charming cottages. ha But as someone else mentioned, there are "extras". And I don't know about a composting toilet, a septic system or a connection to an existing septic system would be great.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

The hardware lumber stores sold them twenty years ago or so. I considered buying a house in a kit, but didn't. I was too young for that kind of commitment.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

I read a little article on this the other day, Most of them had no provision for bathrooms, or kitchens nor insulation. This one has to have a foundation obviously. All things to consider but going small is not a bad idea. Most houses are large because the cost of the site is the same regardless as are the electrical and plumbing hookups. But why pay to heat, cool and maintain something you don't need?

Save    
threejs
  • If you open the link, it shows the interior. I would think the two twin beds in the loft up a ladder is a big turn off if you are getting older. Pretty hard on the knees. Imagine waking in the night to go, and wacking your head on the ceiling (then seeing stars as you back down a ladder) The plans show it is only 55 inches at center peak. That means you would have to be four and a half feet tall. There are many tiny houses though that can be built to your exact specifications and as stated why pay upkeep for a huge home if you are single or empty nesters. If you live a quiet lifestyle and keeping up with Jones’ isn’t a priority the small houses are a perfect solution.
Save    
nicole___

Lucille....lol The thing is......If I own the house I can take out my own building permits...and...I'm not insured to work on another persons property. I only offer to do a job "free", for a friend....occasionally.

I like seeing tiny houses...or any building project...but owning one doesn't interest me.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Menard's sell house kits -- full sized, not "tiny" houses.

Save    
nicole___

OK....this is a tiny house that I REALLY DO LIKE! It has an enclosure for the cats!

Great little design!

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

I loved the packaging design of that little house. Its fine for only 2 people, no guests or children. The arrival of the first child would force that couple to move out or expand the house. They're very handy. I think they would expand.

On another note, one can not be a 'pack rat' and live in that small space, There is no storage room for extra interest materials or a hobby. If you were doing genealogy, you'd need a space to spread out your many files and a place to store those.

If one was very handy, and if one did not have to meet codes that required licensed professionals, I think there is a way to build your own small house. Think garages. You could contract to have built a large garage at much lower cost and then do the interior yourself. The advantage of purchasing an existing outer structure is that the strength calculations or practices are already built in for you. The structure has been designed to withstand snow and wind loads. Before the house could be used, sewer, water, electricity, phone and internet connections must be addressed. I see costs piling on. This is not easy.

Save    
sprtphntc7a

i have watched many episode of Tiny House Nation and while it seems like a great idea - downsize, spend less to live etc...sounds great at the time but the reality seems to be unrealistic.

i think these are great if: you live alone or an older couple (no kids) live in a single climate -preferably warm-less bulky clothes, have little to no indoor hobbies, don't decorate for any holiday, keep no memorabilia/keepsakes, have no collections, do not "entertain" or only in nice weather where everyone can be outside, are ok with confined spaces -especially sleeping in a loft with low ceilings...etc.....

there was an episode where a family of 4 (parents, 1 boy 1 girl) moved into a 'tiny house'. oh c'mon that's insane. where is the privacy they need and crave?? where is the quiet space?? i would be nuts after the 2 weeks!!! where are u keeping food for 4??? let alone your cookware... OMG its like camping 24/7!! where are u storing clothes for 4 people??? questions are endless!!

maybe a great idea for a get-away home, for a long weekend, that could be fun but for everyday living????? um, no !

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I like to see tiny houses...those on the shows have so many clever innovations that I find fascinating. But realistically, I could never live in one...not unless I had a storage trailer about twice that size for all my "stuff".

On this one, I too noticed the edge of the beam right over the middle of the mattresses. Great if you have trouble sleeping...just sit up fast, and you'll knock yourself out, literally!

Save    
bob_cville

We have a large property and saw a Tiny House that was being sold and thought about buying it and AirBnB-ing it. It was pretty cool, and completely self-contained, with solar power, a rain catchment and gray water filtering system and a composting toilet. But after looking at it, it really seemed it would be way too much work for us, and would likely entail a 45 minute briefing for any guests. We decided to pass, but then the person who did buy it contacted us because the location she was going to place it changed their minds so she was asking where we were going to place it if we had we bought it.

We worked out a deal and It is now on a remote part of our property, with beautiful mountain views. The owner is a retired traveling nurse who is about 4' 10" tall with a tiny little yorkie, and although she has lived a bunch of different places over the years including a sailboat, she has had trouble adjusting to living there. The solar power system doesn't produce enough even on the sunniest days, the water system takes constant care to avoid it becoming fouled (and foul smelling) and in the winter the lines froze and cracked the pump, and shortly after moving in she tumbled down the too-steep stairs, and broke her wrist.

She now has a generator to supplement her solar panels, and has found the right soap products to avoid messing up the water system, and has an outdoor living room space with an outdoor carpet and some lawn chairs and a fire ring and seems to be finally getting the hang of it, but more than a few times she has seemed ready to just set it on fire and walk away.

1 Like Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I love hearing about tiny houses and I like the idea, but I know I wouldn't do well with one. And Bob, hearing about your real life experience with one pretty much clinches it for me. There is just something so attractive about the idea, but the reality gets in the way.

Nicole, the video was so interesting and what a beautiful place it turned out to be. Since they've only been in it for 4 months, it would be interesting to check back in to see how things are going. It certainly helps to have building experience and knowing how to maintain everything. I loved the cat enclosure too. That is a great idea!!

Save    
maifleur01

In this area there are a couple of small shed builders which make some nice buildings that with insulation and thinking about your actual needs could easily be turned into a tiny or not so tiny house. Many of what you saw on tv are basically house trailers and only useful if where you want to place them is allowed legally. Several of the box hardware stores also sell sheds that could be converted.

That picture of the house in the OP is a good example of how not to site one of the houses unless all utilities are ran through the top. Tearing up the floor to reach a leaking pipe is not good planning. With composting toilet at least you would not have to tear up those pipes.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Tell a Construction Crew to Pipe Down?
If workers around your home are doing things that bother you, there’s a diplomatic way to approach them
Full Story
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Life 8 Things to Learn From Open Houses (Whether or Not You’re Buying)
You can gather ideas, get a handle on the market, find an agent and more
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More
Based in Northern VA, we specialize in interior decoration. Our designs bridge the gap between inherent... Read More