SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meenagan

Washer & Dryer on Pedestal/Shelf

meenagan
4 years ago

Hello,

We just bought our first home. We are building a new laundry room as part of our new addition to our home.

The laundry room will be roughly ~50 sq. ft. We will be getting the typical front-loading 30" depth washer & dryer.

Because my husband is tall, I've been toying with the idea of having the appliances sit on a shelf (see attached Houzz photo) so that he doesn't have to bend too much and aggravate his back.

How easy/challenging is this to build? Would you recommend that we purchase something like ready-made storage-bench for the W&D to sit on?

Laundry Room · More Info

Should I be giving the specs of this shelf before they start building in case there are venting/plumbing considerations?

I would love to hear from any of you that have this, the pros and cons are for this and how you went about it!

Much thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Just buy top loaders. I find my front loading washing machine vibrates and moves, and I can see it falling off that built in shelf. They are on store bought bases btw.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

I think you’d be better off buying the pedestals that come from the manufacturer. Angel makes a good point. My washer spins at 1600 rpm. You want a very stable base to keep the machines in good shape (and in one place!)

congrats on the house!

• Laura Hill
    4 years ago

Hi, if you look at the questions attached to the Houzz inspiration photo you attached there is a description of how the W/D base was made. One poster also commented that the base should be attached to the floor (probably a good idea!). The ready-made storage bench you linked to your original post does not look sturdy enough, nor large enough, to accommodate a W/D.

• Gina Gilgo
    4 years ago

I had platforms for my washer & dryer built into 2 new homes. Both attached to and covered with the same tile as the floors. In my current house I just have the units that were made to go with my washer/dryer. I can’t say one system is better than the other.

• User
    4 years ago

NO NO NO. My washer and dryer are sitting on pedestals made by a carpenter because our counter and plumbing weren’t installed at the right height (It’s a long sad story). I would NEVER recommend using anything but the manufacturer made pedestals. The machines move around when they are running and they won’t work well on anything but the manufacturer base (although it sounds like one poster had a carpenter who was able to figure it out, but I wouldn’t count on that when it‘s so easy to use the manufacturer base).

Yes, you need to engage your builder now to ensure the plumbing and anything else is installed at the right height for what are planning. And then check their work and make sure they do it. Don’t be me.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Amen. I think the factory bases not only work better but look better.

• meenagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to check my question and the link and chiming in! It's really helpful...I guess all that we see on Pinterest/Houzz may not always be practical for our day-today lives! :)

@angel18432 @ @scottiemom: that's a really good point, to take the speed of the machines into consideration

@laurahill-- oo I think I missed the discussion attached to the Houzz photo, will check it out!

@lnone: Oh! so even custom-made solutions can go awry! You're right, even though we hire trusty-worthy contractors, it's important that we're there to do a sanity check as well...

Thanks everyone! I was on the fence about this whole W/D on a shelf idea, and I'm partial to front-loading machines. So I think my best bet would be to get manufacturer's pedestals if I do end up going that route.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Good advice above. I have no experience with platforms, but lots of experience with front-loading machines that walk across the floor. Even after multiple sessions with a long level to make sure the machine is level in every direction, and even though I'm really careful about not overloading or mixing of heavy/not heavy items, my front-loading machines have all really surprised me with how far they'll travel until they manage to re-balance a load that gets out of whack.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

The pedestal base on the bottom of my washing machine is filled with empty jugs

of water to keep in weighted down and it still moves.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

I have no experience with pedestals, but I've "over" the front-loaders. I love the fast-spinning washer that practically dries things before they hit the dryer ... but they're space hogs. Now that I'm only doing wash for two, I don't do nearly as much as I used to ... and I'm going back to a smaller top-loader.

• zmith
    4 years ago

The high-speed spin of front load machines exerts alot of force on the machine feet. If it's not level and anchored down, the machines will walk all over the place resulting in premature wear. Does no one read the manufacturer's installation instructions? For pedestal installations, the installation guide for my Miele front load washer included provisions for anchoring the washer to a platform: A) the platform MUST be anchored to the structure and B) the washer feet MUST be anchored to the platform.

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

I guess we don't read the instructions zmith, so we should be anchoring the washer into the floor? Might tear the floor out.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

Our Miele washer and dryer are anchored to each other at the base of the pedestals. The washer is next to an outside wall. Between those two, it does not move. And there are times when it would like to!

A friend who has a laundry room in the middle of the house struggles with her front load washer moving around. I call it the trampoline effect of the floor joists, etc.

• erinsean
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I guess I will chime in here. We have front loader machines and they sit and are bolted to pedestals purchased to fit the machines. I have all sitting on a rubber mat. That said, the installers were very particular in leveling the machines and they do not move at all. Even with big loads (mine is high capacity) or small loads...no walking at all. Yes, the washer vibrates a little, but doesn't move and is not noisy at all. The laundry room is in a room off our kitchen and there is basement under the laundry room. The pedestals are handy for putting cleaning cloths in one and the other for laundry/cleaning products.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

Our builder recommended against anything other the manufacturer's pedestals for the reasons others have echoed.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Do NOT put washer and dryer on a built pedestal! You can't pull them out to clean the dryer vent or to fix them. They'll fall off the pedestal. It will take two big people to do any work on them (in a small space).

You need the pedestals that are made by the manufacturer; they become part of the machine and move/slide as a unit.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

What tatts said. Ours has had to be pulled out by repair man a couple of times. There are cabinets above ours, so reaching over to connect hoses & plugs gets tricky.

The OEM pedestals are all I will ever use. I cannot go without them due to a long list of orthopedic issues

• lisachew5
    2 years ago

Gilgo, since I already had our builder build a pedestal for our washer and dryer, can you tell me if your washer and dryer were attached to the pedestal or to the wall? Only seeking helpful advice, not criticism from others. Thank you!

• Gina Gilgo
    2 years ago

Mine just sat on top of the platform.

• lisachew5
    2 years ago

Thank you