Bee sting yesterday

susanwv

Wasp sting me on the fat part of my hand by the thumb. It’s itching like crazy today, have put different stuff on it, but it’s driving me nuts, just want to DIG it. Any ideas what to do?

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janey_alabama

Ouch!! Those things can really hurt. Have you taken a Benadryl? A paste of baking soda and water might help.

Save    
Michael

When outdoors I carry Pure Haven Boo Boo stick. It provides instant relief (for me).

Aquafor may relieve the itch.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

For bee stings we always use black salve...actually called ichthammol ointment...it takes the sting out of the sting right away. Available OTC at a pharmacy.

Save    
georgysmom2

If it continues to itch and the area gets red, get it checked out tomorrow. If it's cellulitis, you will want it treated ASAP. Meanwhile, you might try meat tenderizer.

1 Like Save    
wantoretire_did

I swear by Lanacane for any itch. It’s almost instant relief.

Save    
susanwv

Thanks for all the tips !!! It’s itching less now, still a bit swollen.

Save    
morz8

Susan, when I was stung by a bald faced hornet a few years ago and had swelling, pain, redness, called my friend who is our health dept RN and she said advil, benadryl, ice. 'All at once and do it right now'. It doesn't sound like you have the pain but the advil would help with the swelling. It's a little bit late for the 'right now' ;0)

Save    
mdln

diphenhydramine/Benadryl

Save    
aok27502

Wet a washcloth in the hottest tap water you can stand and hold it on for a few seconds. Will stop the itch for a couple of hours.

1 Like Save    
Andie

I second Georgysmom2's warning. That happened to me. Overnight my hand swelled, becoming red and hot. Went to the doc and got a cortisone shot.

Save     Thanked by susanwv
DawnInCal

OTC cortisone cream such as Cortizone 10.

Save    
joann_fl

I've heard Chickweed salve works on stings, bits & itching. I just bought some but have not tried it since I haven't gotten stung or bit yet

Save     Thanked by susanwv
maifleur01

One or more of the Lanacane's are Hydrocortizone. Same as Cortizone 10.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

https://www.theseniorlist.com/medication/anticholinergic-drugs/

“If
you or someone you love is 60+ years and takes over-the-counter allergy, mood,
or sleep aid medications, consult your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
There’s a good chance the drug is an anticholinergic. These drugs are linked to
dementia.

The American Geriatrics Society strongly recommends avoiding
over-the-counter antihistamines and other anticholinergic medications.”

Please check out this list of drugs that hugely contribute to dementia. They include many over the counter drugs--everything with "PM" in it as well as Benedryl. And of course, many prescription drugs as well. The more you take, the greater your danger is of developing dementia. And if you're under 60, and you're taking these drugs, you increase your danger of developing dementia later.

Save    
morz8

Lacy, good point but those studies address people engaging in long term use. Three years or so would be a concern. A day, or week to relieve certain temporary symptoms is not thought to be a dementia risk.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Beneficial Insects 12 Entertaining ‘Bee-haviors’ of Native Bees
The parade of pollinator antics is another reason to create a garden that nurtures native bees
Full Story
Most Popular Invite Mining Bees to Your Garden by Planting Their Favorite Plants
Look for mining bees (Andrena) pollinating woodland wildflowers in U.S. gardens this spring
Full Story
Beneficial Insects This Tiny, Gentle Bee Keeps Busy
Look closely for small sweat bees visiting your flowers throughout the growing season
Full Story
We are the premier manufacturer of stairs & rails in Northern Virginia & the DC Metro. Since 1976 Century Stair... Read More
We are a company that cares about our clients and the craftsmanship of the work we provide. Honesty, hard work,... Read More