SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

What kind of mirror would you put above this console table?

Bonus question: what kind of stool would you buy?

In terms of the mirror I need help finding a size, shape and style.

For reference the table is 30 inches wide.

I love this one from some Nordic design store I found online (photo below), but it’s only about 38cm (roughly 14-15 inches) wide.

Also, as much as I love round mirrors, I fear they are the least practical shape for a “last look” console mirror.

I eventually plan on leaning a small oil painting on that console table as well. * Some advice on a good size for that would be helpful as well.

Comments (44)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

More of the same, inlay, and, yes, to round.

Corinne Masterson thanked JudyG Designs
  • My House
    4 years ago

MIRROR- Big simple shape rectangular floor mirror-. More viewing space to see yourself & it serves as background to your table

-https://www.pinterest.com/pin/202028733257483443/

-https://www.pinterest.com/pin/542191242610226400/

STOOL- simple rectangular shape that supports the table as the star of the show, not steal the spotlight. Maybe a small light colored upholstered bench stool, or one with storage?

https://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=97763

• Related Discussions

What kind of lamp would you suggest for this table?

Q

Comments (15)
    hmmmm, in that case gillylilly I would go with a substantial base and color that is much like the pottery style jug you have on the table already. I'd find one that has the three way bulb so that it can be multi purpose and tall enough to hover over the couch so the light is over any reading material. I would also consider moving the globe in the window onto the table. And I would put the basket of balls on the shelf beneath the table. So, table top would be globe, pottery jug, lamp. I wonder if you would consider a floor lamp that can go in the corner and arc over the couch corner, though.
    ...See More

What mirror to put above my console table?

Q

Comments (1)
    Your picture didn's show up.
    ...See More

What kind of artwork should I put above my dressers.

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks Patricia. I was considering that possibility as well. Each dresser measures 32" wide. The ceilings are vaulted. What size do you think would work? Maybe 24 wide by 36 tall? I will definitely be posting more pics for advice. I'm in the middle of disassembling my bed to put my new one in and I have curtains coming today that I need to hang. I'll be looking for advice on the whole space to help finish it up. They may not look it, but they're a bit too tall for night tables. I have a pair of Tommy Bahama nightstands that my husband bought and is really attached to, so I need to keep those anyway. I do plan on refinishing those as well as adding new hardware.
    ...See More

What mirrors would you put over console?

Q

Comments (3)
    Here are some pics before before I hit furniture. So it’s the back flat wall for console. The side wall with kitchen opening I’m doing a gallery grid wall 16x20 frames with black and white family pics. And thinking white sheer linen panels nothing crazy.
    ...See More
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What size would you do?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Post a photo from further back of the whole wall. How tall is the table? What height are your ceilings? 15" is way too small.

Corinne Masterson thanked calidesign
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They are 8 foot ceilings. Table is 29 inches high. Ahh I’m not sure if I have a further back photo besides this one below. It’s a small little nook like 32-33 inches. 30 inch table.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cali I need you!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You can use a round mirror if the diameter is around 22-26" wide. It would need to be higher above the table with taller items on it to connect the table to the mirror since your table is fairly low.

To the Last Detail: Luxurious Apartment · More Info

Or you could use a rectangular mirror around 24-28" wide and taller so that it fills more of the space. I would look for a simple frame since your table is fairly delicate. This example shows the right proportions of the table and ceiling to the mirror.

Atlanta residence · More Info

Or look for a rectangular mirror with a shaped top, or other shaped mirror that echoes the geometric patterns in your table.

Ladue Home · More Info

I would not use a stool there. Your table is not very deep, and a stool may look bulky and would likely not be used. If you're planning to put a small painting on the table (8x11 or so), a simple rectangular mirror would be best. I would look for a small horizontal painting to place on the right side with a small tray or bowl on the other side. If the painting is larger, you might be better off with the round mirror mounted higher, or put the art on the wall to the right of the table.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the type of instruction I need in my life lol. Thank you <3

I need the stool to be a catch-all for crap that will otherwise end up on the floor : /

Logistically the rectangular mirror makes more sense since I would use it to make sure I don’t look like a hot mess before stepping out of my house.

Stylistically the round shape is nicer (I personally think), except I am of the belief that if something looks inconvenient, it doesn’t good. For a round mirror to function well I’d probably really need a larger space (and mirror).

I think I’ll compromise by finding a rounded rectangular mirror. I’m very thankful for your middle picture because I would have otherwise picked an incorrect height mirror.

Although I do have a stupid doorbell box about 51 inches above my table so that’s an annoying limitation I noticed earlier today..

• calidesign
    4 years ago

A stool doesn't make a good catch-all for stuff. What items are you thinking of? You can use a tray on the table for items like keys, sunglasses, gloves, etc. Maybe a different type of configuration makes more sense for function. Can you post of photo of the whole entryway from different angles? There may be a better way to make this function for you.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suzy a basket is a good compromise!

I’m looking on Facebook market for some mirrors now : ). My budget is small since I blew most of it on Etsy paintings for my dining room lol

Cali hold on I look for better photo:

Here is the entry pre-console. It’s small. The house is small. It’s a cape from like 1940.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What about this guy? He’s 24 inches

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think a 24" square will have to be too high above the table to work, but you can put some tape or paper on the wall and then stand back to see what you think. If you're looking at Pottery Barn for about the same price these options might work. Avery bamboo or Eleanor large rectangle (bottom one in picture.)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Or here are a few on Houzz

Beaumont Lane Silver Arch Mirror · More Info

Malina Wall Mirror Bronze Metal, Iron · More Info

Minuette Decorative Rectangle Wall Mirror, Gold 24x36 · More Info

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Here's another one.

Folk Modern · More Info

Corinne Masterson thanked suzyq53
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m torn between the frameless beveled ones and a bronze frame now

• salonva
    4 years ago

I really like that Malina one. (Thinking about this now for my powder room with a 31 inch vanity). I also really liked the original round one you posted, Corinne, but I guess it was too big? I didn't see dimensions.

Nice and simple lines

Corinne Masterson thanked salonva
  • salonva
    4 years ago

ooh now I saw the dimensions---- and just started browsing other sites. How about this one? very similar to your original but I think better dimensions?Joss and Main Kinley accent mirror

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I saw this one! I actually Like it very much but I read this article by Emily Henderson that picks on “faux distressEd” pieces and I was nervous that this fell into that category : (

what do you think?

currently torn between this and the malina mirror

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Or this one from Lulu & Georgia. I like their aesthetic.

I like this size and shape but I’m not quite sure what a “rubberized” frame will look like. It seems to look good here though

Edit: damn the photo won’t upload

https://www.luluandgeorgia.com/holden-oval-mirror

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ I just purchased this mirror- the free returns caught my attention. I will let you know how it works out!

You still think 12x8 is the only reasonable leaning artwork size ?

• salonva
    4 years ago

wait- which mirror did you purchase? (they are all really nice!).

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This guy:

https://www.luluandgeorgia.com/holden-oval-mirror

I am a brand team’s dream. this mirror came up as an Instagram ad and I went ahead and bought it lol. I have no idea what a “rubberized” frame will be like but I’m hoping maybe it will be add a nice and unusual texture to my mix.

Or it may just look ugly.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Did I show the rest of my living room for context?

Sorry for the darkness and Xmas decor. It seems I need to take better photos of my place.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

***** HEY also one more question since I have this post already:

What size lamp should I be shooting for, if I wanted to place something on my entry table.

I figured I’d do a lamp, a key tray, and a small leaning painting.

Is the height of the lamps in the adjacent living room important?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Wait to get the mirror installed before you decide on the rest. Your table looks too shallow for a lamp, and you don't have an outlet there anyway. You can use a key tray and the oil painting on the table. You can decide on the painting size after you have the mirror hung.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I really love your comment-------I am a brand team’s dream. this mirror came up as an Instagram ad and I went ahead and bought it lol. I have no idea what a “rubberized” frame will be like but I’m hoping maybe it will be add a nice and unusual texture to my mix.

don't you love these suggestions? Effortless! and I think you don't need to worry about the height of the lamps in the other room. Really curious to see how the mirror looks with the console. I definitely like the round!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

Corinne Masterson thanked katinparadise
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Salvona- I really do love the suggestions. Honestly I think they’re totally worth the unsettling awareness that I’m essentially being internet stalked by major corporations lol. I would literally let the owners of Wayfair film my life like The Truman Show if it meant they could cut down on my decision making anxiety even a little bit.

Cali- I’ve been telling that to myself all day. I have never regretted taking my time to purchase furniture but I always regret jumping the gun. Easier said than done though! Maybe in the meantime I can focus on finding that painting..

• salonva
    4 years ago

Actually to be total honest, I was wondering if it would be too cramped to have a lamp and a tray and a painting on the console. I was thinking it was too much, but when no one else questioned it I thought I was not seeing it properly. Again, it might all work fine. I know in my entryway, I have a cabinet with an oval mirror. On the cabinet, I have a vase with flowers and bowl for stuff. The bowl is not too deep - more like a tray but is pretty wide, so maybe the size of mine was coloring my opinion.

I didn't realize you don't have an outlet there either.

In any case, YES see how the mirror and console table fair on the wall and then go from there.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was going to get a battery operated lamp which I only found out was a thing after googling “battery operated lamp” lol.

I do agree that it might look very crowded. And honestly, I’d prefer the useless painting over the lamp with a legitimate function lol.

I’d like a very shallow bowl that is basically a tray too. Gives you the best of both worlds imo. Still works but isn‘t as visually obstructive.

• salonva
    4 years ago

Well live and learn. Battery operated lamp.

Bless you and google!!!!

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Honestly Google has opened up a world of options to me that I never thought possible. If you can dream it, somebody probably invented it.

• My House
    4 years ago

Thank you for posting pics of the living room. The image is a bit dark. Could you post another during the daylight hours? What have you planned for wall art above the couch?

re: Rubberized Frame.... When I googled the term, many plastic framed glasses and safety goggles popped up as results. So, I think it is a plastic molded frame.

You might enjoy looking at these model homes to get an idea for your home- staging and accessories. Notice the use of plants in every home. They add color to the palette, which highlights the furnishings by adding texture & contrast. http://tours.stevenjamescollins.com

Corinne Masterson thanked My House
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK- Last year one of our cats ate my entire ASPCA approved pet-friendly palm plant. He ate little bits at a time so as to not raise suspicion.

When all was said and done, we had spent $5,000 in surgery & vet fees to have the contents of my plant removed from Hobbes’ lower intestines.

I love love love the look of real plants in any interior space. If I could, I’d fill up my entire house. Unfortunately I can’t risk endangering my babies again.

I don’t know what’s wrong with them lol. The other day my husband dragged a leaf in on the back of his work boots. It took less than 4 minutes for me to find Hobbes huddled in the corner having a little snack.

Hold on I’ll take a photo of my living room for ya

• My House
    4 years ago

I'm glad your fur baby survived. Its likely your kitty is bored during the day -. A cat will eat anything out of sheer boredom.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the best I got for now. The husband playing video games is a permanent fixture.

Please ignore the cat toys strewn all over the floor. No amount of lecturing seems to motivate our little freeloaders to pick up after themselves.

Eventually I’ll be hanging these paintings above our couch. I paid about thirty million dollars to have them reframed so they won’t be ready until probably the end of the summer.

• My House
    4 years ago

Of this were my space, I'd rearrange things....mount the Tv (or bigger) to the big wall and get a larger console to anchor it.; bring the couch opposite it, chair in the opposite corner. Bookcase- move to pther wall. You love the paintings, So, hang them around the tv, as seen here: https://www.younghouselove.com/tv-gallery-wall/

(I suppose long canvas drapes are out of the question, owing to the furry babies)

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I actually do have linen drapes in my office that have managed to hold on so far. I’m having trouble visualizing the arrangement you mentioned. Maybe I have to draw it out? Do you think it’d afford more space?

• My House
    4 years ago

At the moment, all attention (furniture direction) is focused to a small corner. If you broaden the perspective- a wider focus wall-, the room will feel bigger

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you need light for function by the entry table, get a better fixture for your ceiling. The issue with putting a lamp on that table isn't just the outlet, it is the depth of the table you have there.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DK that makes a lot of sense.

Alrhough I’m not as crazy about a gallery wall around my tv. I feel like that would sort of showcase the tv. Kind of like adding giant arrows pointing towards it, no?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think you currently have the best arrangement for the room. I would just move the floor lamp on the left away from the sofa and closer to the tall bookcase and chair. The wall will look great with your new paintings.

• My House
    4 years ago

Have you seen framed TVs? It can be a DIY project if you're so inclined.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner