SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

What is/was/will be your 50s inspiration?

Feathers11
4 years ago

I recently turned 50. I know, I know... age is just a number. I believe that wholeheartedly, too. I'm healthier now than I have been in a long time. I wouldn't trade what I know today for my youth. I'm grateful that our culture is (slowly) starting to recognize and value women more no matter their ages.

But something feels... off. I'm not sure. The majority of my friends turned 50 this year (college and high school friends, as well as local friends), or are soon to be. We all seem to be looking around us asking, "OK, so what does being 50 really mean?"

What did your 50s mean to you? Or what does it mean to you now? And if you haven't turned 50, what do you anticipate?

Comments (48)

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I’m 74 and 50 seems so young to me. It’s nothing more than a number. It’s the same life you had when you were 49. Enjoy every minute of it.

Feathers11 thanked Bunny
  • User
    4 years ago

I had more of a "what does it mean?" crisis in my very early 40s, although sometimes when I hear myself telling someone I'm soon turning 57 I can't quite believe my own ears. My friend says that aging feels just like the way toilet paper starts spinning quickly, dropping the last bit of product onto the floor as it reaches the end of the roll. Yep. I do try not to think about the numbers or spend too much brainpower trying to figure out "the meaning" behind it all, as I really think it just is what it is, and we all simply get up each morning and do the best we can to treat others and ourselves with love and dignity, and let the "meaning" of it all be that as it may. (If that makes any sense.)

That said, I also think that aging gives you a clearer focus on the things that TRULY matter, and it has a way of making you bold and self-assured. I would not trade these things for one single, solitary moment of having a 20-year old body again. No way. :-)

Feathers11 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

What garden/gardener inspires your design in your garden?

Q

Comments (16)
    So many interesting websites, to get inspired by, these days. I loved the Oudolf site as well. I wish I had room to put in a truly huge mass planting, and still be the plant collector I find myself to be. Maybe some day I`ll be able to do that. In the meantime, it is wonderful to live vicariously through others and their gardens. I agree, Gottagarden`s gardens are inspiring. The red garden she posted in 06 has always been a favourite of mine. I wish I had the space. Hmmm, I say that a lot. :) I just bought hot Papaya Echinacea and love it. I`m sure she`d approve. :) Gottagarden`s picasa site Yeona Here is a link that might be useful: Gottagarden`s red garden
    ...See More

What is your garden inspiration?

Q

Comments (23)
    Another Secret Garden reader here. It was my all-time favorite children's book, and I read many. I am living my mother's dream. She grew up in the country, but moved to NYC when she got married. She missed gardening, and would take me on walks to find wild flowers under train trestles and other spots here and there. When I was a child, "a house in the country" was the ideal. My parents planned to move back to what was then rural New Jersey, but my mom died (from cleaning a rug) before that could happen. She had just turned 38. So I was raised in the city, but for the past 35 years have lived in an old farmhouse on 31 acres. My mom probably would have designed better gardens than I, but I enjoy doing what I do for both of us.
    ...See More

Lows in the 50s again! What to do about these...

Q

Comments (1)
    No way! A minimum low of 54 F. poses no problem for your plants.
    ...See More

Forecast 40 F tonight, 50's rest of week, what to protect?

Q

Comments (5)
    Purple, thanks, I could use the luck. :-) I may have taken on more than I can handle this year. Growing crazy amounts of out-of-zone plants. And I live in a small apartment. The jasmine I have is "Fiona Sunrise," aka "Frojas," which is J. officinale. Fiona's sturdier than she looks. This is one of the few container plants I have which I know can handle chilly temps. It's hardy to zone 7 or 8, depending on the source. I started with a sprig in a 2" pot last summer. The wee thing spent winter in my unheated attached garage which got down to the mid-30s. (That's where my dormant plants sleep.) Now I have her in a 10" pot with small bamboo canes. I'm still not clear on whether I should let it get hit by frost as a container plant. Some sources say to protect it because the roots don't have much soil to insulate them in a pot. Some say to let it get frosts until the leaves drop. Last year I brought it in before frost and the leaves dropped on their own in midwinter. Delrey, I must have misunderstood. I thought you were saying you left the canna outdoors, in a container, all year long, and it was fine. Hence the envy.
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

Oh, I also was just thinking yesterday about how getting older has caused me to be completely comfortable with the fact that I like what I like and dislike what I dislike - without feeling as though I owe anyone an explanation for my preferences. There's something so liberating about not feeling you're obligated to want the same things, go to the same places, have the same hobbies, enjoy the same entertainment, or laugh/cry at the same things as others.

Feathers11 thanked User
  • daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Turning 50 was big for me. Much more than just a number. Being in my 50s has meant moving into a new status in society and life. In hindsight, for 20 years I felt that I belonged to a certain group in society. In my 50s, I feel like I’ve shifted into another group. It’s not a negative thing but I did feel like it was big shift and I felt better after I recognized it, made peace with it and sort of said good bye to that phase in my life. I’m now thrilled with where I am, but it did take awhile to get here. I threw myself a 50-ish bday party when I turned 52. I wasn’t ready to celebrate 50 until then :-)

Feathers11 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • msmeow
    4 years ago

I'll be 58 in August, and like IdaClaire says, it seems surreal to say it! LOL I have found now that I'm looking at retirement as a "soon thing" rather than a "someday thing" that I want to do all I can to be healthy as long as possible. I started the Noom program nine weeks ago. I've lost 10 pounds and changed my diet and mindset quite a bit. I've gotten into the habit of working out five days a week (says the former lazy lima been couch potato) and I really look forward to it and enjoy it. I feel stronger and more energized.

Donna

Feathers11 thanked msmeow
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

I am trying to live life like I did when I was 20/30, focused on the moment, no thought to the sand in the hour glass. And most important, I am seeking out new experiences like I did back then. Learning new things, trying new stuff, meeting new people, even moving house often, is a big part of the excitement of being younger. The family raising years put a stop to that in some ways and I find it helpful to consciously seek novelty and growth.

Feathers11 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • eld6161
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My twin sister and I just had a conversation "now that we are 65." That is how she is going to start each sentence when deciding if she wants to do something.

Do I really want to go to that gathering? Do I really want to invite so and so over? You get the idea. She no longer wants to feel obligated.

But...getting back to your question of what does 50 mean. For me it was a cruise with my sister and our DH's, and several dinner celebrations. I was raising my DD's, working part time, volunteering etc. Overall in a place that was fine for me.

Feathers11 thanked eld6161
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

I liked to say I was half a century, which seems more impressive.

That was almost a decade ago now, so IMO you're just a whippersnapper!

Feathers11 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

Turning 40 was a big deal for me because I dedicated my 30's to moving up in my career and told myself that when I was 40 I could play again. I did.

Turning 50 wasn't a big deal, but I did give myself (and DH) the gift of spending it in the Cook Islands - so who wouldn't want to turn 50?!? I'll be 54 this year. Except for my extra fat, it's no big deal.

Feathers11 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • patl8
    4 years ago

My 50s were a blur as my husband became ill and for six of those years that was my focus. After he passed I was still in my own odd world. Then I lost both parents 2018. All of a sudden I was facing 60 and hardly recognized the passing of the last ten years. I would say enjoy it every day as new physical challenges come with age, despite the timing of such being different for everyone. I am happy again at 61 and mainly try to enjoy each day. Some days I do better than others but I am generally living more in the moment and appreciating my blessings.

Feathers11 thanked patl8
  • hhireno
    4 years ago

I remember my MIL saying the only age that bothered her was turning 60. As I approach that age, I think I understand what she meant. It’s shocking that I can be that age since I don’t feel any different, I’m still the same me, but I’ve been here 60 years?! No matter what my health is now, I am definitely on the back end of my life. No one gets out alive.

Oh well. I’m going to keep on keeping on and hope for the best.

I disagree with the expression about an unexamined life is not worth living. That was made up by a therapist to strum up business. I’m busy living life, I don’t have the time or interest to sit around examining it.

Feathers11 thanked hhireno
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

More recovery from Spin class, but, hey, at least I'm at Spin class! Just sent a happy 56th to a HS classmate.

Although I am still working full time, I am more conscious of what really matters in life, and although I stress about work, I stress less and have a better perspective. Thinking about financial health as I plan for eventual retirement. I have meaningful leadership roles in my professional organizations.

Taking care of your health becomes more important, especially if you are postmenopausal. So, eating right, exercise, medical checkups and screenings. I went for my age 50 screening colonoscopy when a very large precancerous polyp was found and removed, and I had no symptoms at all.

Feathers11 thanked gsciencechick
  • neetsiepie
    4 years ago

I created a scrap book to celebrate turning 50 and I remember I wrote how that was when I finally gave myself permission to live for me and not my kids, husband, friends, job, etc. To accept I was free to say yes or no to whatever I felt like. I guess, in a way, turning 50 to me meant I could now be considered an adult. That's a weird way to say it, but in my 40's I was still raising kids and had to be 'responsible'. I'll be 58 next week and as I look closer to 60 I am actually starting to htink about mortality-my Dad died when he was 61, so that's something that sticks with me.

Enjoy this birthday. It's something special I think.

Feathers11 thanked neetsiepie
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I'm currently 62. When I look back on my 50s I feel like it was the prime time of my life. I was in the peak years of a career I loved and DH and I traveled for work and pleasure and did lots of fun and adventurous things, in part because we could finally afford to. Now I'm one month into retirement phase of life which is probably how I'll view my 60s, assuming I live to be 70. This is a fun time so far with the wonderful luxury of time to do whatever I want - something I haven't had in about 40 years.

Feathers11 thanked 3katz4me
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

What it means is that before you know it, 16 years will pass and suddenly you're 66. If you want to do something do it now.

Feathers11 thanked blfenton
  • jmck_nc
    4 years ago

I have mixed feelings about this decade. I think if I had fewer obligations to others I might enjoy it more. I am thinking more about my own mortality (not to mention my husband, who is in the next decade). The beginning of my 50's were great...but I just turned 58 and have more issues with my body not allowing me to do what I want to do. Which is frustrating because in the moment I can do anything...but later I pay. In general I don't feel any different so I'm surprised to see the physical evidence of my age beginning to show. I try not to look too closely!

Feathers11 thanked jmck_nc
  • daki
    4 years ago

When I turned 50, I tried to think of it as my 10th 5th birthday.

I recently turned 53. For the past 4 years or so, my birthday made me anxious and depressed. I usually ended up crying a bit. I think part of it is that our society focuses so much on birthdays being a "big deal". I end up a little disappointed. I've tried to reset my outlook this year and not think so much about numbers and the shortening of years. I did a lot better this year. I originally planned to bake my own birthday cake to take to work (channeling my inner Pippi Longstocking), but didn't quite get around to it.

Both DH and I are at the point where we will probably end up retiring early next year, and I think that will help me feel less like I'm wasting my life away sitting in a cubicle :)

Feathers11 thanked daki
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

My friend and I had a conversation along these lines. We figured in your 20's you are trying to figure out who you are. 30's and 40's are family and work years. By your 50's, you just don't care anymore. :) Time to just do what you want to do and not worry about what other people think. We're both in our 50's right now.

Feathers11 thanked cooper8828
  • Allison0704
    4 years ago

I will be 59yo next month. When I say that, I think "how is that possible?!" So far, the decade of my 50s has included a lot of ups and downs. I have had surgeries twice, both for cancer, and been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren. I watched my mother decline for 10yrs, and lost her six weeks after my father died by suicide. This was immediately followed by my sister deciding she wanted a divorce, as we were remodeling her home. Luckily, they lived in his house, so that transition was easy. Then DH and I took on a large remodeling project in our current home, and in the next 90 days will be completely retired after being self employed for decades. Our third grandchild is due in December, and I look forward to more rocking, kissing and cuddling. Nothing beats that new baby smell! (And I'm not talking about the diapers!) My 50s has me reflecting on my life, what has been and what will be. I've been able to travel more. Connect with old friends. Enjoy new friends. Experience our children as adults and parents. And take nothing for granted.

Feathers11 thanked Allison0704
  • satine_gw
    4 years ago

I became a widow at the age of 54 with an 11 year old to raise. My fifties and into my sixties meant being a single parent and trying to grieve for my husband. Im now 73 and even though the end of life might be around the corner (or not) I am enjoying life with lots of friends and activities. It is not like you can do a thing to stop the aging process so don't wast precious time wishing for something you can't have.

Feathers11 thanked satine_gw
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

((((Satine)))) but I like your sentiment.

Feathers11 thanked blfenton
  • Lars
    4 years ago

Here's a photo of me at 52

in my back yard in Venice, CA.

Here's a Halloween costume I wore when I was 50:

When I was 52, I got laid off from work (temporarily) due to the recession, and so I had a few years (about 3 or 4) to go back to freelance work, which was less profitable but still kept me busy enough and gave me more freedom - thus I could dye my hair any color.

I very much enjoyed my 50s, and I got along very well with my neighbors in Venice who were less than half my age. Venice is full of young people, and the guys next door were Loyola Marymount students and would invite me to their parties - maybe because I would bring them food. While I was doing freelance work, I spent a lot of time developing new recipes and ended up with more food than my brother and I could eat. So I offered the leftovers to the neighbors, and they would eat anything, it seemed. I was not like that when I was in college, however.

Turning 60 was more difficult, and by then I started thinking about wanting to retire and what I would do with my leisure time. I also became somewhat less motivated by then, and that is something that I should have nipped in the bud. We moved from Venice to Westchester when I was 59, and Westchester is full of much older people - many of whom have lived here since it was developed 1947-1953. I lived next to bike trails in Venice, but now I no longer ride my bike every day and have had to switch to an elliptical machine to get my exercise.

My one advice is never stop exercising - never allow yourself to become sedentary.

Feathers11 thanked Lars
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

My 50’s and even turning 60 didn’t bother me at all. In fact I felt like, career and family-wise, it was a great time in my life. I loved my job and was doing really well there, our kids were getting married and having kids, we were healthy (still are) and we were doing very well in general.

Turning 70 didn’t really bother me, but my mother died of cancer at 69 so that weighed heavily on my mind as I approached 69. I think I was truly thankful to turn 70. Logically, I am much more healthy than my mother ever was since I exercise and keep tabs on my health. She hated going to the doctor and I firmly believe she ignored her symptoms until too late.

We volunteer a lot and enjoy travel. DH has been sidelined a bit due to arthritis pain and has had 2 joint replacements in the past 8 months, but is now ready to go. So we back to traveling and planning more in the future.

Feathers11 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

My fifties have been a time of transition; I got remarried, moved from a small town in upstate NY to a Philadelphia suburb and found the most fulfilling job imaginable. Great advice from Lars about avoiding being sedentary. I am active, but am finding I "break easily." Not literal bones, but things just seem to hurt and then heal more often than ever before. That being said, I can't remember the last time I was sick, so I am grateful for that.

I think your 50's can be a very freeing time as it is when (in my cased,) my kids were just beginning to fly the nest and establish themselves away from home. Although I would have loved to still take care of them on a daily basis, I couldn't. Bittersweet. My son is still in college though, so I still have big chunks of mama time.

Feathers11 thanked jojoco
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

Gscience, I cannot believe you are 56, at least I think that’s what you said. I had you pegged for 40 at the most after our NYC get together. Keep on doing whatever you’ve been doing !

I remember when my boss and I turned 50 at the same time. We both felt that we could now give ourselves permission to do more. All those things that you’re going to do some day can now begin. Don’t save the good sheets for “later”. Put them on the bed and enjoy! I found fifty and beyond to be very freeing, as if life shifted into an easier gear.

My 20 s, 30 s and 40s revolved around raising kids, making a home, and recreating myself after a divorce ( good move!). By my 50s I could be more focused on myself. So enjoy!

Feathers11 thanked dedtired
  • Feathers11
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Such great words of wisdom here! I've read every one and will do so many more times, I'm sure. I don't have time to respond but wanted to thank all of you, as well as anyone else who chimes in.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Thanks, dedtired! Yep, just had my birthday on June 3. Of course, I generally avoid the sun except for driving the convertible. I don't use any special products other than Oil of Olay, I've had no cosmetic procedures, and can't remember the last time I had a pro facial. I am fortunate I come from a family that has great skin from both my parents' sides of the family. That really is #1.

Feathers11 thanked gsciencechick
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

Lars - you sound like the most interesting person! In going through my sewing supplies yesterday - I have a bunch of vintage patterns - one for a 1950/60's skating costume. Your picture reminded me of it for some reason.

Makes me think we should have a West Coast get-together. I'm in North OC and have extra time on my hands right now. Anyone interested???

• Lars
    4 years ago

I would love to meet people in person. I'm just north of LAX, and so North OC is not all that far away, especially if you are near the beach.

BTW, I wore that outfit to a party at Shane Black's house in the Hancock Park district of L.A. He lives in a gated community, and we had to take a shuttle bus from a parking lot to get to his house. The party lasted almost until dawn, and I don't think the neighbors were happy about it.

Feathers11 thanked Lars
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Hey I have that same vintage Simplicity pattern!

(and a lot more as well - I'm a sewing pattern hoarder)

Feathers11 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

I loved my 50s. Loved teaching, loved traveling, loved being more accepting of myself. We had parties with neighbor's often. At 67 now, I am retired. I walk the 80 pound pup 3 miles, although I have been lazy now that the heat has arrived. I have the time to work in the garden. I have an 11-month old granddaughter who is an utter joy. Parties have dwindled. I have more little aches and pains in my knees and hands, so that is no fun.

Mostly, I just enjoy whatever the day brings and always have been, except on the rare truly awful days which we all have from time to time. Lars, from your photos, I would guess you would be great fun to have as a neighbor. However, I doubt you would trade CA for VA. Still, we would love to have you here!

Feathers11 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Sara
    4 years ago

This thread is just what I needed. I’m turning 50 in January-age has never bothered me but this birthday is throwing me for a bit of a loop. The suggestions and attitude from all of you are wonderful! I still am working-but hopefully will retire at 54-and two of my kids are still at home (one is only 9:/) so I definitely feel like I’m in a weird place in my life-half still parenting young kids, half nearing the end of my career).

Feathers11 thanked Sara
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I want to meet Lars and the other west coasters. I had such a great time meeting the easterners in Maine. Can we do it in the winter? (I'm in MN).

Feathers11 thanked 3katz4me
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

I am now 62. 50 was an actual blur of work and regaining health I had lost 35 years previously. 50 didn't seem like any kind of a milestone as far as age is concerned for me. It was a milestone as far as my abilities are concerned.

60 seemed more important to me as I am finally settled in to being a working person for virtually the first time in my life.

Having so to speak proven myself to myself I could finally relax enough to celebrate anything.

Feathers11 thanked yeonassky
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

I’ll start a new thread...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Oh, to be 50 again...

You're always as young as you're ever gonna be again.

Feathers11 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Sandplum1
    4 years ago

I'll be 59 later this year and must admit that turning 60 is sneaking up on me in kind of a scary way. (I suspect having my only child at 40 may have had something to do with it!) I'm apprehensive about becoming an empty nester this fall and moving into my 60s the following year. Honestly, turning 30 has been the hardest of my birthdays.

Feathers11 thanked Sandplum1
  • Sara
    4 years ago

On the bright side, I’m planning lots of fun stuff to celebrate turning 50. I’ll be spending the day itself at Disneyland-my favorite place in the world-have five nights booked in a 2 bedroom at the Grand Californian so I can bring whole family. Then hope to head to Europe for two or three weeks in the summer. Want to rent a big vacation home in Spain and then another week ? And have folks who want to come along join us. We will see if we can afford this after our remodel.

Feathers11 thanked Sara
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

My cousin sent me this. I was touched by the simplicity, beauty and wisdom of it. I hope you enjoy it, as well.

Feathers11 thanked LynnNM
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

My 50's were tough and sped by. I'm 59 now. I got married for the first time at 58, something I never thought would ever happen so you definitely don't have to worry that you'll get stuck in a rut in your 50's. They tend to be times of dramatic change.

I hate that my life has become a blur. 50's means there's no time to waste though. I don't find it relaxing.

50's was my decade of death and loss, but I expected that. Doesn't make it any easier.

I'm getting fat and I can't seem to change that, I just feel too stressed to exercise willpower in every area of my life. Just trying to get financial and work and family covered, eating and exercise just doesn't make the time cut. I never had a weight problem before my 50's and it was due to having more willpower then. 50's was sandwich stress time for me.

But turning 50 inspired me to try online dating one last time, (the "no time to waste" theme) and unexpectedly I met the love of my life. I really only wanted someone to hang out and do social things with . . . but I'm not complaining.

50's was menopause time so I think I have changed the most in this decade as any other in my life. I never experienced "post menopausal zest." Quite the opposite. My husband and I both experienced a lessening of our enjoyment of life in our 50's We do fun things, that's not the issue, but we enjoy them less, we have become a tad jaded. Not totally, but the decades have taken their toll on our youthful enthusiasm. I can still muster it, but it is because I remember it and can mimic it, not because I really feel it.

I think professionally I am at peak competence and performance level, I think I have gotten better at my work, but I resent devoting most of my time to it now more than ever. I know what I like and want due to experience, so get frustrated when it is still so hard to get there some times. I try not to let it get to me.

The thing I most hate is this aching sense of nostalgia. Now that I'm 59 and living in my old home town, I'm really missing the days when it had a more vibrant cultural, economic and social scene. The present seems so stark and sparse compared to my memories of growing up in the lush 60's and early 70's. I seem to be forever seeking something in this decade that eludes me . . .other than finally finding love. So mark one big one up for that!

Feathers11 thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    4 years ago

I started really enjoying each decade after I turned 45. My son was hatched, grown, educated and flown. I had a great career with lots of company paid travel and was able to increase contributions to savings. Now if someone asks, “Want to go to or do xyz?” my answer is likely YES! I do regret never having done bungee jumping.

ETA: Is it inappropriate to say “Huzza huzza“, Lars?

Feathers11 thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

Well...I'll be totally honest. It completely sucks to get older. Sorry but it does. There is absolutely nothing good about it for me.

Feathers11 thanked User
  • runninginplace
    4 years ago

This question is timely for me since as of Friday I'm now officially retired at 61 YO. So I've been doing a LOT of processing and thinking about time, career etc!

My 50s were tumultuous and intense. Transitions of leadership at work meant huge adaptations needed to deal with different managers. My kids went from HS through college and started their adult/professional lives, my MIL's health and independence declined precipitously, my stepmother died leaving my father bereft, menopause happened causing not only physical changes but the need to recalibrate my intimate relationship with my spouse (as did becoming empty nesters), a close friend died and I was primary caretaker for him followed by managing his estate which he left to us, and toward the end of my 50s more whiplash: another leadership transition left me marginalized and very depressed about the career that had always been my joy. Then too after 60, the struggle at work is real; I could feel that gentle but inexorable sense of becoming one of the oldsters as more colleagues left and younger people came in. Not that everything was bleak. My husband and I suddenly and unexpectedly bought a vacation/retirement house that was more than a dream come true. We realized that we were extremely fortunate that we had enough resources financially that we could begin planning for life without paychecks.

On the whole I loved my 50s--for most of that decade I still felt on top of my game both at home and at the office. However the big transition came as I approached that 60th birthday. As others have noted, what started as a small voice became a shout, telling me that this chapter was ending and something new was coming. That's exciting and I'm eager to explore it but at the same time there is an undeniable sense that it's no longer the summer of my life, and that I don't have unlimited time left. It was hard too realizing that the comfortable structure of my life, my days, my social interactions, my entire financial and professional support at work was going to be over soon. Work had been such a deeply passionate part of my identity. But as life does, it was teaching me important lessons. Being sidelined and ignored after all the years of hard work and dedication brought home the truth about a job: it's not your partner, it's not your family, it's not your friend. I don't regret my years at work but I do know very clearly now that a job is a job, not a life.

So it all brought me here, sitting on day 2 of my new life stage. And all those changes have taught me it's important to treasure what is here and now. Be happy that I wake up healthy and get up easily and plan a day without physical limitations. Be grateful when my kids connect with me and appreciative of the time they give me from their busy lives. Be patient with the elderly people I love who are often so challenging to care for and help. Be loving with my husband who has been my rock and partner for so many years. Be AWAKE to the beauty of every day, every conversation, every experience and be ready to explore new experiences.

I'd say the 50s for a woman is the time to look backward and forward and be mindful that where you've been is the diving board for leaping off into what you will be.

Feathers11 thanked runninginplace
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

Well said.

Feathers11 thanked eld6161
  • Feathers11
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Still reading and mulling over all of the inspiration in this thread. Even yours, Pennydesign, because it does suck at times! Thank you for all of the experiences shared.

Lars, if I may add to what others have said--your photos are inspirational not just because of the physical shape you're in, but because you were doing something you enjoy.

Physically, I feel the same and I've developed good health habits that work in my favor as I age. Mentally, though... there's a shift going on. It's represented in many of the experiences shared above, but something I can't quite describe yet. Perhaps 10 years from now if someone asks me about my 50s, I'll be better able to define what I'm feeling now.

• jill302
    4 years ago

My 50’s are winding down, in a few months I turn 60. This decade has involved a lot of change. Not much what I expected, really hit home that no matter how much I plan I have very little control. My take away at this point is to enjoy your family and friends to the fullest, savor the good times and the small things that bring you joy. Take care of yourself emotionally and physically, you want to be prepared for whatever opportunities or obstacles come your way. If you have the opportunity to do something meaningful, frivolous or not, take the time and do it.

The changes during my 50’s have been good and bad. Unfortunately the negative experiences have out weighed the positive recently. The first few years my kids were finishing up high school, and they have have moved on to be basically self sufficient, a great joy. I started a new job at 52, which I have enjoyed. Although we were still dealing with the aftermath of the economy falling apart, income down 40%, so money was of concern it was a good time for us. Before too long we were back on an even keel financially and we decided to move locally, and what seemed like it was going to be a fun new journey (too much HGTV) turned into a stressful 2 year process. A story in itself. Soon after our move my best friend passed away from aggressive brain cancer, she was diagnosed the same week we made an offer on our new home and 3 months later she gone. Just prior to our move another super close friend joined a new church and basically cut all of her close friends out of her life. Then a couple years later a very close friend moved out of the area. These were close friend’s that I had daily contact with for years, and this change has probably the most difficult part of my 50’s.

My Dad’s health became much worse a few months after our move. He was in and out of hospitals and SNF’s, he died about 14 months after we moved into our new home. January this year my mom went from being fully independent to not able to live alone. Thankfully we were able to get her moved her into Assisted Living fairly quickly. Now I am dealing with the her house, finances, medical issues and so on. In April my FIL had a significant stroke, the stroke is on top of progressing dementia. We are trying to help my MIL figure out all her options, this will most likely be financially devastating for my MIL. My husband is the only local child so he had primary responsibility for his parents. While I know everyone grows old, my grandparents were all graced with good health and independent living until less than a month before they died. Each well into their 80’s, so I may have had unreasonable expectations.

Do not want to sound too depressing, my 50’s have not been as much of the “me/we time” we were looking forward to but we catch moments of that here and there, we have snuck in some great trips, and try to live in the moment, recognizing the power of all the small joys of life.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

I get it Jill, that's what I meant when I said, "My 50's were a time of loss." The only advice I can give someone heading into their 50's is to echo some of what has been said here, don't waste your time sweating the small stuff and treasure whatever joys you can find. Learn to notice and appreciate them. But also, don't stick your head in the sand, plan and prepare for the losses. Not saying that life won't throw you a curve, but having a plan B and C helps you stay flexible, because life can be unpredictable in your 50's. Can be good or bad or neutral, but it isn't a dull decade! I think it is all the losses I suffered in my life that at this point have made me feel somewhat detached. But detachment is not necessarily a bad thing either. The right kind of detachment is an art well cultivated in one's 50's, IMHO. My 50's overall have been an experience-rich decade. I hate to admit, but it sometimes feel exhausting. Good health habits are important also to cultivate, along with the detachment. Ironically, I haven't followed my own advice. After eating healthy for decades, my diet has fallen apart. I haven't given up the struggle, but I have gained 20 lbs. during this decade.

Edited to add that one of the reasons you need to cultivate detachment in your 50's is that age will inevitably take it's toll on your physical, mental and emotional strength. It doesn't mean that you won't have ANY, it just means that there will be some slight declines, so that is why it is important to reserve the fantastic skill set that you have developed over your life, for the really important things. I think that during my 50's my patience for other people's circuses and other people's monkeys dried up. To have a happy and successful 5th decade you need to focus as much as you can on what is important to you and don't get caught up in other people's drama.