SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rafugate1

Anyone overwintering tropicals have trouble w/ mold in your house?

Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've overwintered tropicals for several years in a rarely used living room w/ French doors that shut it off from rest of house, if need be. This room has LOTS of windows, almost like a greenhouse. Never had any mold issues in there. When I took plants all outside this year for spring/summer/fall, found mold growing on wall & around all window casings. The wood around outside of front door, which is flanked by sidelights & two floor to ceiling windows, is rotting away & crumbling. 2 regular windows do not open/ close right w/out using a special trick to get them to latch & 1 reg. window's weather strip is falling down inside the glass panels (windows are currently being repaired). Room is not very old, (newer addition) but previous homeowner likely used cheaper materials and/or labor. I have about 20 smaller pots & 10 larger pots. I keep temp around 65-70F & no humidifier, only pebble trays, if that helps. There is also a bathroom w/ a shower inside this living room & about once a month I'll turn shower on & run it on hot 5 mins or so, to also increase humidity in room. I was told my plants are the cause of mold; I'd say the faulty windows are the culprit. Can anyone confirm which may be the cause of the mold or let me know if you've ever had mold issues where you overwinter your plants? TIA!

Comments (5)