SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Oval-leafed milkweed -- I think they're a goner. Help please.

mxk3 z5b_MI
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I hope not, but I won't be surprised if they don't re-appear next year. I planted them from seed, they were doing fine when I first planted them out, but they slowly disappeared -- the leaves and stems went downhill and then poof they were gone. I have no clue why -- the other stuff planted there is all doing well (trillium, bloodroot, hosta, chelone), so I don't think it's a case of too-dry soil. I'd be surprised if the soil is too moist, either, even though we've had a lot of rain, because this area is under the canopy of a large tree. Maybe when the source says day they mean dry as in dry-dry, and not just not too moist? I'm really stumped. These are native to my state, so shouldn't be rocket science. Well, hopefully they have the will to live and will sprout from the roots. We'll see.

I did have the foresight to sow only half the seeds. The other half have been in the fridge stratifying, will pull them out this week. Obviously I'll plant them somewhere else (maybe even do a split for extra insurance). Does anyone know optimum growing conditions or have any insight on these?

Asclepias ovalifolia

Comments (11)