The genealogists among us will appreciate this. :-)

Alisande

SaveComment10Like12
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janey_alabama

That is funny!

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

Just hope it's all correct!! LOL

2 Likes Save    
roxanna7

I love it! Sent this to my elder son, who has been continuing the family history, carrying on from what my grandfather had done before he died in 1955. Fun project (and it keeps said son off the streets and out of trouble, lol).

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

gotta be expensive to have that done.

1 Like Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Maybe they decided to re-purpose the kitchen island top.

2 Likes Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I saw this on Facebook. It would be interesting to see it in person. I agree that that had to be expensive to have that done. Maybe there is an engraver in the family? :)

Save    
DawnInCal

That will will sure make life easier for future genealogy researchers!

2 Likes Save    
caflowerluver

Reminds me of this.

2 Likes Save    
Alisande

LOL, Caflowerluver!

Save    
maifleur01

Since one of the things I studied was lithography, the art of engraving or etching. This was probably made by that method. Back when I took classes depending on if you were etching into a surface or removing the surface to leave a raised area you put what was called a resist that prevented the acid or basic solution used from eating into the areas that you did not want touched. I believe now you can have large sheets made with any computer generated and cutouts. You apply the resist pressing firmly so that none of the etching material leaks where you do not want it. When I did it the etching material was a thick gel so it would not run but the texture could be changed. Not likely that anyone would want to but a print could probably be made from the top unless there was an added filler in the design.

The process is probably expensive but not as expensive as when you actually carved the letters and other things into a slab.

Edited to add the other most common method is to use, for an easy to understand description. what looks like a router that can cut stone. Not all stones can be used as some crack and chip easier than others.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Central Plains Gardening 10 Essential Wildflowers for the U.S. Central Plains
Focusing on prairie wildflowers supports the most wildlife in a low-maintenance Plains landscape
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: Show Us Your Mom’s Influence on Your Home
Maybe it’s a great chess set or a style philosophy. With Mother’s Day nearing, where do you see your mom in your space?
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 9 Ways to Appreciate Your House Just as It Is
Look on the bright side — or that soothingly dark corner — to feel genuine gratitude for all the comforts of your home
Full Story
Architecture Houzz Call: Show Us the House You Grew Up In
Share a photo and story about your childhood home. Does it influence your design tastes today?
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Stunning Curved Architecture Rises Among the Trees
You can see the love of nature and organic shapes at first glance. Look more closely at this Wisconsin home and you’ll also see amazing flow
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Curve Appeal Among the Trees
A fan-shaped midcentury home in Pittsburgh is so admired, it’s now a home-tour stop
Full Story
Life Tell Us: Do You Know How to Live With Your Parents?
If you've tried multigenerational living under one roof, we'd love to hear the details
Full Story
Data Watch What Really Makes Us Happy at Home? Find Out From a New Houzz Survey
Great design has a powerful impact on our happiness in our homes. So do good cooking smells, family conversations and, yes, big-screen TVs
Full Story
Most Popular Guessing Game: What Might Our Living Rooms Say About Us?
Take a shot on your own or go straight to just-for-fun speculations about whose homes these could be
Full Story