SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944186815

DD has a squatter living in his house, and he's selling the house

AJCN
4 years ago

I appreciate all the helpful advice on my other thread regarding the prepping of my Dad's house for sale.

Here's a weird thing that has happened over the last several months. He sort of acquired a squatter. What happened is, when my Mom got sick and they both got a lot older, he needed some help, in addition to all the hospice care people who would come. For a few years it was a wonderful woman who would come over for about 5 hours a day to cook, clean and be there if my Dad needed to go to an appointment, etc. Recently he decided a live-in person would be helpful, and our pastor suggested that this woman move in with them. She was having a hard time and needed a place to live, but she did have a nursing background and seemed nice. So she moved in and would clean, make meals, do laundry, etc. She was not paid, but she also did not pay rent. It seemed to be working out fine, but she wasn't immensly helpful.

Now Mom has moved into a full-time skilled nursing place nearby, so my Dad doesn't need this woman to help him anymore. He is very self-sufficient even though he's older and doesn't need a live-in helper at this time. Back in March he decided to buy a small place, and so he talked to the woman to let her know he would be selling his house. They verbally agreed she would move out May 1st, 2019. May 1st came and went and she did not move out.

Now it's June 21, and we are about to do this huge purge-clean-sell thing. All of the furniture in the rooms she is using are getting purged next Saturday. She is not showing any signs of packing up or planning to move.

We are in Texas. I just read the parts of the Texas Property Code that relate to landlords and tenants, and even though she was not paying rent I think she qualifies as a tenant, and any eviction procedure needs to follow the normal eviction rules as it would for a paying tenant.

At first I assumed any "notice" would have to give a 30 day deadline because the law reads like that, but Chapter 8, Section 91.001 (e) (1) says that no particular number of days is necessary if "landlord and tenant agree in an instrument signed by both parties on a different period of notice to terminate the tenancy, or that no notice is required."

So, my plan for tomorrow is that I am going over there, and I will explain the purge-clean-sell plan that is starting next Saturday, and nicely ask her if she can move out by next Friday afternoon, June 28th.
If she says yes, I am going to give her an agreement to sign with a deadline of next Friday. If she says no, then we have to do a formal "notice of eviction" with a 30-day deadline. This is the best I have been able to read and understand the law in our state.

I think this is a reasonable appropach. I want to protect my Dad, so I'm trying to read and understand the law and not do anything that could have him be in the wrong. If she doesn't move about by next Friday (if she signs the agreement), or if she doesn't move out in 30-days (if she doesn't sign and we do the formal "notice"), then we will follow the rules under the civil procedures and file a suit in the local justice court. The clerk of courts pointed me to that info online today and told me which forms to file. If/after the judge orders the eviction, and she still doesn't go, then we are allowed to pay for and have the sheriff come remove her.

I'm no lawyer and I don't want to hire one unless things start looking bad or contentious. Does it seem like we're doing things right so far?

Comments (31)