Jim 1 and other cruisers

eld6161

A trip to Greece has been derailed until next June. I am now rethinking my original plan and thinking about a cruise.

What are the best cruise lines for this type of trip?

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satine_gw

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Holland America is a little more formal ie afternoon teas etc. People tend to dress more formally and the passengers seem to be older. Celebrity is probably my favorite with Royal Caribbean next. Carnival is not the party ship (in my experience) that people make it out to be but it was my least favorite. I think the food and serve on Celebrity tend to be above average. Disney is one I have not been on but my daughter and her family really liked it. She said there are plenty of adult only areas and venues and she would consider going with out children.

Save     Thanked by eld6161
janey_alabama

I do not cruise but my friend does and she loves Royal Caribbean.

eld6161

I think I do want a more upscale option. We did a Norwegian Breakaway cruise to the Bahamas last fall.

I did not care for it. Too crowded, very loud by the pool. And, because it was "free style", the majority did not dress up. DH is not one for dressing up, but would certainly wear a pair of khaki's and a nice shirt.

I would also like to get info from someone who has used a cruise for Greece.

Save    
maddielee

Check Viking. Small, well appointed ships.

Elmer J Fudd

You'll have the best experience and luxury in an upscale sense on a smaller ship. Certainly nothing over 750 passengers and as you go down, the smaller, the better. We've had upscale experiences with Seabourn, Silversea, and Azamara.

A few years ago, against our better judgement, we went on a trip some friends had scoped out and invited us to come along. It was on one of the older (but modern) and now not so big ships of a large line with (I think) about 1800 passengers. It was a simply awful experience.

A good comparison is if you've ever flown one of the no frills, low cost airlines in Europe where nothing is included and EVERYTHING is an extra charge (like Ryan Air) versus flying business or first class on an established airline where everything is pretty darn good, comfortable, and service is attentive. A large cruise ship experience is like flying on Ryan Air - bare bones service (and mediocre food and drink) in every respect. .

whatsayyou18

We've cruised with small and larger ships and had excellent experiences with both. Just returned from Europe which included a cruise with Celebrity's newest, The Edge; absolutely no complaints.

chisue

Big ships and short (2 -3 nights) cruises would not be our cup of tea.

I have not heard a lot of positives about ships that just cruise between the Greek islands, but my impression is years out of date.

TripAdvisor has a cruise forum.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I have always dreamt of chartering a boat to cruise the Greek islands. Trip Advisor has info on that too.

jim_1 (Zone 9A)

Itinerary is the thing. If it doesn't go when and where you want to, then it won't be a good experience.

We were in Greece this past autumn on Pacific Princess, a ship that is listed as carrying fewer than 750 passengers. However, we have seen more and more solo travelers, so our total was about 690. Our trip began in Venice, went to Croatia, Montenegro, 4 ports in Greece and then moved back to Italy. We stayed on the ship until it arrived in Ft. Lauderdale and then drove home (a total of 29 days). We had to fly one way, very nice. I believe that Princess does a similar itinerary every autumn. It is less crowded; however the weather is cooler. Pacific Princess is the ship that they use for their world cruise. Very nice.

chessey35

We recently returned from a cruise on Viking from Venice to Athens. The ship was lovely and very low-key. The stops were excellent and we had a great trip and spent 4 days in Athens afterwards with tours etc. The only stop that wasn't as pleasant as it could have been was Santorini where the crowds were overwhelming. The problem was that there were 6-7 cruise ships in port that day and most of the people were in Fira which is the main town.. Our friends took a tour away from the middle of town and had a good time, so it was simply a matter of where you were.

Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

A follow up...think about when you want to go (or have to go). The weather in much of Greece is Hot during this time of year. Look online and see for yourself. If you are forced into going there June through September, be aware that lots of other people travel then and the crowds can be horrible. I live in Florida, it doesn't make sense to leave the heat here to go to the heat there and then put up with all kinds of rude people who pose as tourists.

If you really want to do a Med cruise, please (I beg of you), consult with a travel professional. We have a great relationship with a woman who used to live in our town in Illinois. She moved and we moved, yet we still have her as a cruise consultant. She doesn't cruise the way we do, so she has a different view of what is important when on a cruise ship. Many big box "wholesale" stores have travel people affiliated with them; if you elect to go with one of those, ask when the last time was that they did a cruise to the Med. That could be telling.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

Eld, was going to drop you a line, but see you don't have Messaging activated here.

eld6161

Catticus, I thought I did. let me go check.

Save    
eld6161

Looks like everything is in place. Not sure why I can't get your message.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

Your message option is still not activated. This is how your profile page would look if it were.

Could you try messaging me?

Save    
arcy_gw

Just got back from Alaskan cruise, with Holland America. It was our first but I spoke to a lot of people and they all said they prefer Holland. It is not a 'party' boat for sure. There were many families and yes older people. Afternoon tea was there was it was not formal or stuffy. The dress up "gala' nights were not over the top. Some women wore long dresses others pants. One cruiser said no other line had real flowers and there were service people helping with drinks etc. on the Lido deck. I guess that is not common. We did not choose a cruise for the boat experience. We wanted the comfort of one hotel room that went with us to our destinations. We had a totally positive experience and from what I have heard about other cruises we chose the perfect one for us. Laid back, subdued but very pampered was our experience!!

Save    

Related Stories

Fun Houzz Don’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
Life Household Habits and Customs to Borrow From Other Countries
Discover why salt may be the perfect house-warming gift, how to clean rugs in snow and why you should invest in a pair of ‘toilet slippers’
Full Story
Bathroom Workbook Convert Your Tub Space to a Shower — the Planning Phase
By JW
Step 1 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Get all the remodel details down on paper
Full Story
Salvage Houzz Call: What Have You Salvaged for Home Use?
If your floors, furniture, exterior materials or other home elements have a past life, we'd like to hear the story
Full Story
Data Watch Houzz Pets Survey: Who Rules the House — Dogs or Cats?
New data shows that pets make people happy, and pet owners love spending big to return the favor
Full Story
Inside Houzz The Top 10 Home Tours on Houzz
See the most popular homes from the 1,000 profiled on Houzz, from an edgy garage to a sparkling Southern belle
Full Story
Most Popular How to Replace or Revamp Your Garage Doors
Boost curb appeal and maybe even security with new garage doors. Find out cost ranges and other important details here
Full Story
Exteriors 8 Amazing Home Exterior Transformations
Witness the facelifts, paint jobs and other changes that turned these homes from drab to fab
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: 2 Designers Live and Work in This Atlanta Apartment
One loves clean lines; the other goes for an organic look. But the roommates find chic common ground (and great deals)
Full Story