Sandals? Looking for comfy somewhat stylin' -

salonva

That is my quest. I am now good on the comfy walking shoes that are closed, but I really would like to get a pair or two of sandals that are good for walking and don't look like orthopedic training shoes.

I would prefer with an ankle strap as well (and velcro would be loved for ease of putting on).

A wedge is ok, but I am really looking to be comfortable walking.

Anxiously awaiting suggestions.

SaveComment38Like
Comments (38)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I just posted this on the Skechers thread. I got these Skechers Reggae zig zwag sandals and I have really enjoyed them this summer.

Save     Thanked by salonva
nicole___

I just purchased Keen sandals...just shopping for materials I can walk 10K steps! Click on the word Keen...to view. Anything between my toes is a big ouch...can't wear just any sandals and be comfortable.

1 Like Save     Thanked by salonva
Janie

I only wear SAS sandals nowadays. Comfortable isn't even close enough to describe them! I've had lousy feet all my life and have never been comfortable on long walk and I can walk and walk and walk in SAS shoes. https://www.sasshoes.com/womens-shoes/  

This is my favorite for outdoors and indoors I wear the slide.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by salonva
OutsidePlaying

Is your foot narrow or wide? Mine tend to be a bit narrow. I love these from Bernie Mev and always get asked about them. I’ve had these for 3 years in a different color pattern and they are still comfy. They come in several solids too. The sole is thick and supportive.

Eileen Fisher makes these so they are pricey. I have 2 pair in different colors and can dress up or down. The leather is very soft.

I also love Chacos. Lots of different styles. I prefer the ones that don’t wrap the big toe.

Olychick

I love, love, love every pair of Teva's I have. So comfy. great arch support

3 Likes Save     Thanked by salonva
tackykat

I second the recommendation for Teva sandals! Well worth the price.

salonva

Thanks for the suggestions; quite an assortment. My feet USED to be narrow and now are regular on the wide side.

ooh those teva look like what I think I want (although truth be told I might prefer a tad dressier look)--looks promising. I will also look at Keen.

1 Like Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I have a pair of Tevas - I like them but they are not nearly as good for walking long distances or for standing as are my 2 pairs of ECCO sandals. Various styles but most have ankle straps and many have velco closures as well. By no means inexpensive, but they are currently on sale and IMO, well worth the investment.

eld6161

I also have Ecco. I have the Yucatan. I call them my ugly walking sandal. I have a wide foot. I will also look into the other suggestions but......I have tried Keen and they are too tight. Maybe other new styles? I have Teva flip flops, so maybe the sandal could work?

I also have SAS but I have the Sorrento, so not as orthopedic looking.

I also have Easy Spirit Heartwell. Also a bit orthopedic but it comes in such a variety of colors.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I had a pair of keen I loved! They were the unisex and they were wider than the women's. I can't wear their women's either. I also had a pair of Skechers that were the multi color woven elastic like those Bernie Mev ones. They were comfortable too.

maifleur01

I have been looking for sandals as my old pair of Crocs sandals have now worn through the coating on the bottom and stick when surfaces are wet. Because of the shape of my foot my little toes will stick out of the ones that do not have solid band of material to contain my little toes. Most of the above along with nothing between the toes finding sandals has been especially hard. I am wanting a dressy pair with no heel for those few times in the summer where I dress up. But because I also want to visit parts of Europe they need to be sturdy enough for a lot of walking. I do not want to pack multiple pairs of shoes next year. When I was in Hawaii I looked at the various Crocs stores and did not find any sandals that had a wide strap to contain my little toes.

Olychick

Take a look at other Teva styles. Some are more dressy. I think the newer styles are much more supportive than some of the older styles I have (better contoured and padded soles). I order from Zappos to try things on...hassle free shopping, fast delivery and easy returns.these both come in black, as well:

Raye Smith

Propét is a good brand for a more utilitarian look.

Italian Shoemaker brand makes many of my summer favorites.

desertsteph

Alegria - I bought 2 pr 2 yrs ago and love them. not something I've ever worn before. bright color and very comfortable! I've gotten numerous compliments on them. I didn't see them this year on Amazon. QVC has a lot of different styles and colors of them too. I don't like straps higher up on my foot or around the ankle so that limits me on styles I can wear. I love these shoes. They're red/fuchsia with some purple in them.

Alegria Camille Flora Fiesta

eld6161

Oly, I like the second one!

Yayagal

I wear Mephisto shoes and sandals due to nasty back pain, they work for me.

DawnInCal

I bought a pair of these Clarks last summer and absolutely love them. I've put many miles on them as I walk pretty much everywhere. They've taken me uphill, downhill and on the flats with ease. While they don't have an ankle strap, I've never had an issue with walking out of them, probably because of the three adjustable velcro straps that go across the top of the foot. I'm seriously considering buying another pair to put away until the ones I'm wearing wear out.

Like Nicole, I don't like anything between my toes which made these sandals all the more appealing to me. They are casual enough to wear with shorts, but dressy enough to wear with slacks or a dress.

Clarks Sandals @ Amazon

annztoo

This brand is pricey but if you have foot problems you’ll fall in love with them. I can’t find the model I have but it’s velcro adjustable and is comfortable if you have a bunion. I’ll post the model once I find it.

https://www.abeofootwear.com/womens

aok27502

I haven't tried them, but my massage therapist swears by Vionic shoes. She wears them all day. They have some stylish sandals.

sheilajoyce_gw

Check out Merrill shoes too.

OutsidePlaying

Check Aetrex also. My DD who has a wide foot and a high instep like me bought a pair recently for a trip to Europe. She loves them. I checked online and several of theirs have Velcro across the toe and ankle strap for adjusting during the day. I love that feature. She bought hers at a Walking company store near us.

drewsmaga

I ditto the Tevas. Since I've discovered then it's the only sandal brand I'll buy. They have MANY styles. And I can usually find great styles on sale.

desertsteph

I noticed that QVC is having the Alegria sandals on tonight at 11 pm AZ time. if it's past that time where you live, the video clip should still be available online. they started out making shoes for those who are on their feet for hours at a time, like those who work in labs, doctors/surgeons, nurses, teachers etc. They got a lot of requests for shoes to wear outside of work and/ or better looking than the plain black work shoe.

watchmelol

Tevas for me too.

salonva

As always, these forums are ever so helpful and full of so much great information.

I will be looking into many of the ones mentioned. I would prefer to try on in the real world brick and mortar but I find that is less and less realistic. At least if I can find the brand to see how it runs. I know Zappos is great with returns if it doesn't fit but I would love to try some on to narrow down.

I remember trying Born and although they are great and loved by many, they were not comfy for me. Those Allegria ones are adorable and so reasonable- but don't have an ankle strap and look for fashiony. ( When we travel it's often got lots of irregular ground- cobblestones, gravel, hills, and I really don't want to have to step gingerly).

Will be on the look out for Tevas (anyone know where they are sold to try on for size?)

Oh yes Easy Spirit I have had and they are comfy.

All great suggestions on here and I so appreciate the sharing.

Save    
eld6161

Salon, yes in a perfect world we could go into a Zappos warehouse and try on everything and anything!

Last year, I was looking for shoes to match a dress for a wedding. Bug box3es came every day1 . DH asked what was going on! I did find a pair and I also tried to find a basic black pump while I was in shoe mode. I kept a Walking Cradle, but it turned out to not be a winner :( . I wore them, and don't even remember what site I bought them from.

I am still on a quest for a comfy pump, but it is not crucial. I have flats as a good stand in.

Raye Smith

If you are looking for shoes to walk on cobblestones I've worn Propét in Europe and couldn't feel the unevenness at all. These are similar to what I wore. They are ugly but comfortable.

daisychain01

kork-ease is another brand that people often recommend when looking for fashion and comfort.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I just saw some cute tevas at Academy sports on the sandals and flip flops aisle. Some on sale. I have had tevas but not my favorites they didn't match my feet well. I know lots of people who love them though.

Save    
chessey35

Raven, I'm on my 3-4th pair of those sandals. They are very comfortable and have great arch support. They obviously are not dressy but for everyday, they're great.

Save    
Olychick

As far as ordering from Zappos...I recently tried to find decent athletic shoes for my grandson. He has a narrow foot and needs something with support and a lace that can actually be tightened. Nike's seem to fit his foot the best, but were hard to find with the other criteria, for some reason. So, I ended up ordering 18 pairs of shoes from Zappos (over a couple of weeks) trying on sizes and styles! I thought they might ban me when I returned 16 of them, lol. Actually, you can return unworn ones for up to 1 year, so I kept the next bigger size in the shoes that worked for him and hope that he grows into them within a year. If he doesn't, I have it marked on my calendar to return them before the year is out.

I know that I'm paying for this convenience in a slightly higher price for their shoes, but it is so worth it to me. The closest decent shoe store (Nordstrom) is about 45 min away on a terribly clogged freeway and he would not be a happy camper spending nearly 2 hours in the car to try to find shoes.

Save    
desertsteph

salonva - 'Those Allegria ones are adorable and so reasonable- but don't have an ankle strap and look for fashiony'

have you checked those they have on Amazon? Last year I thought I saw a lot with ankle straps on them.

Save    
sableincal

I agree with desertsteph about Alegrias. I have many pairs of Alegria sandals (with no ankle straps), plus one pair of sneakers and two pairs of "shoeties". I love them! I wear the sandals around the house all the time, from the time I get up and throughout the day. The footbed is extremely comfortable; the heel height (almost 2 ") is just right; and the width of the heel is very sturdy. Plus, they are light-weight. I wore them when I went to a podiatrist last year; he looked at my high arch and said "Those shoes are perfect for you."

Alegrias come in various patterns and colors, and I'm always on the lookout for a new design to add to my collection. Have bought a couple of pairs online, but mostly I get them from QVC.

Save    
drewsmaga

Our Shoe Carnival sells Tevas. I find better prices at sales online. Oh, they DO last a LONG time even with daily wear year long -- I live in central FL and wear Tevas year round, with the exception of 10-14 days in the winter.

Save    
salonva

Well, I figured I would come back to update--- they are not the most stylin' but they are decent looking. I bought a pair of flat Khombu sandals at where else Costco. They were 14.99. I have worn them for about 3 days and done lots of walking and it feels like I am wearing slippers or pillows. :) Again, pretty utilitarian looking, not very cool looking but not ugly and so COMFY. Pretty sure these are them . Hmmm maybe I did pay 15.99.Costco comfy Khombu

Save    
Lindsey_CA

Keen is having a sale right now. By the way, for those of you who have feet that are slightly too wide for the women's shoes/sandals -- you can find your comparable size in men's sandals, which are wider than women's.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Salonva I really like those! Great deal!

Save    

Related Stories

Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Put On Your Slippers
Preserve the peace and protect your floors and carpets by turning your home into a no-shoes zone
Full Story
Design Pop Pop Culture Watch: 12 Home Trends from the '80s Are Back
Hold on to your hat (over your humongous hair); interior design elements of the 1980s have shot forward to today, in updated fashion
Full Story
Most Popular You Showed Us: 20 Nutty Home Fixes
We made the call for your Band-Aid solutions around the house, and you delivered. Here's how you are making what's broken work again
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Floors 11 Reasons to Love Wall-to-Wall Carpeting Again
Is it time to kick the hard stuff? Your feet, wallet and downstairs neighbors may be nodding
Full Story
Most Popular A Designer Shares Her Kitchen-Remodel Wish List
As part of a whole-house renovation, she’s making her dream list of kitchen amenities. What are your must-have features?
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Things Neat Freaks Know to Be True
Do you err on the incredibly tidy side? Then you probably already live by these nuggets of neat wisdom
Full Story
Your First House Modern Party Etiquette for Hosts and Guests
Learn the mannerly way to handle invitations, gifts and even mishaps for a party that's memorable for the right reasons
Full Story
Life How Much Stuff Is Enough?
Play the numbers game to streamline your belongings, for a neater home and a less-stressed you
Full Story