Catfished Teen Murders Best Friend

elvis

Does anyone besides me wonder if social media has a bad effect on young people?

A southern Indiana man and five teens from Alaska have been indicted on federal murder charges after officials say they planned, carried out and recorded the slaying of Cynthia Hoffman in early June. According to a news release from the Alaska Department of Law, an Anchorage grand jury indicted 21-year-old Darin M. Schilmiller of New Salisbury, Indiana, on charges of murder in the first degree, conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree and two counts of murder in the second degree. Also charged are 18-year-old Denali Brehmer, 16-year-old Kayden McIntosh, 19-year-old Caleb Leyland, and an unnamed juvenile male and juvenile female. All of Schilmiller's co-defendants are from Anchorage. McIntosh is being tried as an adult.

Court documents say Schilmiller offered to pay Brehmer $9 million or more to carry out the murder and send him videos and photos of the crime. He first met Brehmer online while posing as a millionaire from Kansas named "Tyler."

Throughout the month of May, the teens worked on their murder plan, court documents said. After some discussion, the teens chose Hoffman, who was allegedly "best friends" with Brehmer, as their victim.

Court documents said Hoffman was taken to Thunderbird Falls by Brehmer and McIntosh in a truck borrowed from Leyland. They told the victim that they were all going to hike on the Eklutna River. Once they made it to a clearing, Hoffman's hands, feet and mouth were bound with duct tape, police said. McIntosh is accused of firing the shot that killed the 19-year-old. Her body was dumped in the river. Court documents said that Brehmer sent videos and photos to Schilmiller during the crime.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-catfished-alaska-teen-convinced-185010531.html

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stan Areted

Pure evil.

Let's hear how Schillmiller was a victim, and not the true murder victim.

Someone else's fault, no doubt.

Save     Thanked by elvis
Chi

Horrible. I do think social media has negative qualities, but I don't think this is about social media. I've been meeting people online since I was 12, in 1995, long before social media. Some normal people, some weirdos.

These kids decided to take someone up on a murder for hire offer. No one is innocent here except the victim. I don't care how persuasive he was or how naive she was.

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
elvis

I am wondering about the lack of a sense of right and wrong. Maybe that's it. Pure evil.

That seems so crazy, though. I wonder how they were raised, what they care about.

Save    
Chi

They wouldn't be the first to do horrible things because of greed. It's been that way for as long as humans have been capable of murdering each other so I don't think it's bad parenting or any other modern issue like that. There will always be people willing to murder for their own gain.

Schilmiller is the real nutcase. He doesn't even have the greed excuse, not that it's valid, but he just wanted to order a murder for no apparent reason or benefit outside of his own satisfaction.

1 Like Save     Thanked by elvis
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Leopold and Loeb

Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo

Cain

The crazies have always been among us, but I do agree that social media has the potential to bring them together like never before.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by elvis

Related Stories

Houzz Tours Houzz Tours: Parisian Modern Style for a San Francisco Flat
Classic European architecture mixes with modern furnishings in a newly open Edwardian home
Full Story
Features Houzz TV: Fred MacMurray’s Enduring Farmhouse Retreat
One of the most beloved actors of the 20th century traded fame for farm implements on this California ranch. His daughter shows us around
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Housekeeping Three Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story
Most Popular From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
Features 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story
Community How Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story
Life Oh Yeah, There’s a Snake in the House
A Houzz contributor lives through her worst nightmare and comes out the other side with lessons learned and new footwear
Full Story
Events Houzz Call: Houseguest Horrors
In the new film ‘Mother!,’ hell breaks loose when visitors drop by Jennifer Lawrence’s remodeled abode. Can you relate?
Full Story
We deliver “ceiling to floor” interior design services, and 17 years of experience has afforded our team the... Read More