MTV award win for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Ruth certainly is my choice for a "WINNER," but it might surprise some people that the award came from MTV which is known more for its specialty--super-heroes from the MARVEL UNIVERSE!

Though I'd concede that Ruth is indeed a marvel!

---------------------------------

"Superhero blockbuster "Avengers: Endgame" was the top winner at the MTV Movie and TV awards on Monday in a show marked by messages of empowerment and self-esteem.

The Marvel movie, the second biggest box office hit of all time, took wins for best movie, villain (Josh Brolin's Thanos) and hero (Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man.)

But U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the diminutive, 86-year-old liberal judge, was voted best real-life hero, cementing her status as an unexpected pop culture icon, especially among women. She did not attend the MTV ceremony in the California beach city of Santa Monica.

The MTV Movie and TV awards usually focus on crowd-pleasers and is an irreverent antidote to the more serious winter Hollywood awards season. Winners get popcorn shaped trophies and are chosen by fans voting online.

But while medieval fantasy "Game of Thrones" was named best TV show on Monday, other awards went to darker fare.

"Surviving R. Kelly," in which seven women spoke on camera about what they said was years of sexual and emotional abuse by the "I Believe I Can Fly" singer, won best documentary.

The Lifetime network documentary led to Kelly being dropped by his record company and to criminal charges in Chicago of aggravated sexual assault involving four women, three of them minors. Kelly has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.

[. . .]

Elisabeth Moss, star of "The Handmaid's Tale," took the award for best performance in a TV show, a category that was entirely made up of women. The bleak drama series portrays a near future in which women are stripped of all their rights, including working and reading."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/empowerment-rules-mtv-awards-win-040519847.html

-------------------------------

Just wanted to share some good news with you. There is a serious side to the Marvel universe!

: )

Kate

SaveComment4Like4
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

She did not attend the MTV ceremony in the California beach city of Santa Monica.

Of course not.

1 Like Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

Congratulations, your honor.

Save    
Jess(10)

Well done, and well deserved

Save    
catkinZ8a

She did not attend the MTV ceremony in the California beach city of Santa Monica.

Ruthless.

1 Like Save