Uncomfortable situation just happened

Kathsgrdn

Ran a couple errands, including a quick trip to the Dollar Tree here in my little town. Was thinking of stopping somewhere for a bite to eat to take home when I noticed a new restaurant nearby. I decided to check it out. As soon as I walked in the door, every person (15 or so) there turned to look at me and watched me walk all the way to the front of the restaurant, about 50 feet. A few young girls/women jumped up and ran in the back. I guess they were the cooks? It was obviously a small family owned place with maybe relatives or friends eating in there. It made me feel really awkward and maybe like I shouldn't be there, although, they were nice enough. Has anything like that ever happened to you?

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciae_gw

Some of the less popular more obscure Mexican restaurants around here can be like that. Come to think of it there is a very good Thai place in a small town nearby where the staff is usually eating or talking if you come in outside of the twelve oclock rush. I chat with them? It is nice and homey to me.

Save    
nickel_kg

Yes, at small Vietnamese restaurant here. I've always heard that ethnic food is best when you see that ethnicity eating there, so that was a good sign. But yeah, there was a large family/friends group there, conversation paused as we came in, and I did feel out of place. No 'bad vibes' or sense that they didn't want us there, just that they were a large cohesive group (of a dozen or so), we were a small group (of 2), and we were different. *Sigh* perhaps that was a taste of what various ethnic groups feel constantly.

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I think you need a bit more self confidence. If it hadn't been open for business, the door would have been locked or someone would have said "Sorry, we're closed now".

They were maybe a bit awkward with you but not the other way around. You did nothing wrong and perhaps should have laughed it off.

I agree with nickel, seeing people of the same ethnicity in an ethnic restaurant is usually a good sign. The absence of same is usually an important indication too.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

This was not an ethnic restaurant. A "homemade country food" kinda place....which actually a greasy diner type place...all fast food.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

When you said a bunch of girls ran in the back, they weren't "professionals" were they? Do you look like a cop??

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Lol, not hardly. They grabbed up their plates and ran for the back, which, I guess was part of the reason it was uncomfortable for me. I obviously interrupted their meal.

Save    
maifleur01

Ever think that the girls could have been staff that were taking their places in the kitchen? Neighborhood places often have regulars who turn to look at whoever enters. Even one of the Micky D's near me at certain times of the day people will look to see if you are someone they know.

Save    
Michael

How was your meal?

Save    
adellabedella_usa

You may have gone into one of those small places that pretty much only has a regular crowd. I had something like happen to me when a friend and I visited a small town in Oklahoma about 25 years ago when we were in college. Apparently, I was gorgeous because the young males were staring at me everywhere I went in that town. It was really weird. My friend was laughing. Our friend who lived there and we met up with later made some comment about the people not ever leaving town.

Save    
amylou321

That's happened to me too. Most recently it was at a small family owned pizza place. I went in to get SO a calzone. Everyone that worked there was sitting in the dining room talking. When I walked in, they looked at me, all got up in silence and walked to the back. I placed my order, and they all went to the very back where the kitchen was, still talking. It was weird.

This also reminded me of an incident that makes me even more grateful than usual for self checkout. On one of my bigger Walmart runs,they decided not to open the self checkout lanes. So I waited in a very long line to be checked out by a woman who proceeded to have a loud,cackling,inappropriate conversation with another cashier. Both of these charmers were slow, throwing groceries in bags,more concerned with what the other was saying than doing their job. The other one paused checking out her customer to come give the one checking me out a high five after a particularly vulgar comment.That was both awkward and infuriating. Even more so because if they would have just had the self checkout open, I would not have had to deal with such behavior. I did complain on their website and got no response other than the standard automatic reply that they got my email.

Save    
watchmelol

What Elmer said. Small business, in between rush times and friends and regulars hanging out. Nothing strange about it and you did nothing to feel awkward about. They got up because they had a customer to serve. It's part of the restaurant biz to eat when you can, do your side work when you can and expect interruptions.

Me, I love little places like that. I usually walk in knowing no one and walk out having chatted with staff etc. Often if I return I am greeted like long lost friend even if I exchanged but a few words.

People tend to remember me and that sometimes scares me LOL I walked into a place with my brother once I hadn't been to in a couple of years . My iced tea was set on table as we approached. My brother said "you must come here a lot". Nope came in a few time a couple years ago.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

The food was okay if you like tons of salt. I got a hot ham and cheese sandwich, which tasted like it was made with thinly sliced country ham...the super salty one.

Save    
ratherbesewing

Did you notice the time? Perhaps it was 11:20 and they open at 11:30?

Save    
Kathsgrdn

It was late afternoon. They'd been open for hours and didn't close till 9 pm.

Save    
Debby

Maybe it was just slow and everything was caught up and they were just having a little "huddle". A customer walked in, and they went back to their work stations to better serve you.

Save    
Elizabeth

Yeah..I agree with Debby. They were just visiting with each other because it was slow. You are apparently just a polite and thoughtful customer!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Backyard Ideas She Built a Chicken Coop and Was Surprised by What Happened Next
A Southern California homeowner and animal lover shares her building tips and advice on raising happy backyard hens
Full Story
Community Community Building Just About Anyone Can Do
Strengthen neighborhoods and pride of place by setting up more public spaces — even small, temporary ones can make a big difference
Full Story
Decorating 101 Working With Pros: When You Just Need a Little Design Guidance
Save money with a design consultation for the big picture or specific details
Full Story
Craftsman Construction is a luxury custom home builder and remodeler. Our company focuses on luxury residential... Read More
A full service New York & Washington DC based interior design firm, Shaw & Shaw believes that interiors should be... Read More