SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenwitch111

Antiques Roadshow Update

Kitchenwitch111
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I went to AR at Winterthur yesterday. I started a new thread, but you can find the original one here: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5711009/im-going-to-antiques-roadshow-anyone-else-been#n=31

At first the appraiser thought my statuary foot was indeed Roman, but then decided that it was a “Grand Tour” souvenir, so about 200 years old, not 2,000. He said that Grand Tour things were very collectable, and it was worth about $1,000. If it was a true antiquity, he said it would be about $1500.00. And I was not asked to be on TV. :(

I also brought a necklace and bracelet that my father gave to my mother before they were married. My Dad was stationed in Panama during WWII and bought them there, and we always called them “The Panama Jewels”, and every daughter, niece, granddaughter, etc. in our family has worn them for their proms and weddings. We knew they were garnets, not rubies, but we always thought they were Estate jewelry, possibly Art Nouveau. When I was young I dreamed up a romantic story that a seaman might have brought the pieces from Paris or New Orleans and lost them in Panama. Turns out they were made in the 1940’s in Newark, NJ and are worth about $250.00! We actually had to laugh about that -- these are our precious family jewels!! But still precious to us, of course!

Fortunately the rain held off as everything except the furniture was outdoors. We had a wonderful time and the show will air sometime next winter. You might see us in the Feedback Booth – I made my sister rehearse and the guy taping us said were the best so far. You don’t think he says that to everyone, does he?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths