SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhonconsuegra

SPOTS ON CATTLEYA LEAVES

jhonconsuegra
4 years ago

Hello everyone,

It´s been raining a lot and my cattleyas have been enjoying the rain water except one.... A black spot showed on a leaf and spread quickly in a few hours i think It was black rot. I cut off half of the leaf and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide, and the problem was fixed, apparently. A few days later, some spots appeared on the rest of the leaf and i dont know what are those?? maybe fungus ? How can i treat it?

Thank u for ur help !

Comments (17)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    4 years ago

looks like sunburn...

• jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I dont think so, the plant is not in full sun. Actually, it has been in full shade for over a month, when those spots started to show.

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

I agree that it looks like Sunburn. Where are you in the world?

• jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Barranquilla, Colombia, it´s a pretty hot city.

4 years ago

There are more orchids in Columbia than anywhere in the world. Around 4000 species and 1500 of them are easily found. jhonconsuegra, have you looked for wild orchids?

jhonconsuegra thanked shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
  • jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, i haven´t. Most of the population of wild orchids in Colombia lies in the Andes. That`s not near my region. I went on a road trip recently to Medellin, and could see some wild cattleya trianae ( colombia´s national flower) on trees and they were STUNNING !!!! You can´t imagine how big the plants were and the bunch of flowers they had. Despite of the huge variety of orchids the country has, some regions (like the one i live) dont have the ¨culture¨ of growing them. I could tell that in the coast region about 6-7 years ago supermarkets started to sell only phals and 4 years more or less phals and one specie of dendrobium can be found in some nurseries and they are a little bit pricy for an average colombian.

On the other hand, If you go to Medellin, Pereira, Armenia, etc, u can find a nice variety of orchids, hybrids, almost in every home there´s one. Attached a map so u can have an idea where orchids are located (pink dots) and where I am ;( ;( lool

Hope I didnt bored u hahaha !

4 years ago

Thank you. I think no one in Columbia needs phals. They don't like it too bright. Is there an orchid society in your city? Could be an opportunity to exchange local advice and ideas. A pleasant social opportunity too. Your plant must have got a shot of direct sun at one odd point of the clock? A few minutes direct sun may be the issue at your latitude.

I use 50% shade cloth attached to my screen enclosure. You might enhance your growing area with shade cloth. This is where local knowledge comes in. And one of many benefits of joining a local club. Good luck!

• jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello!... There is not orchid society or anything like it in my city. Thank u for ur advice !!!

4 years ago

No other growers? Where did you get your orchids from?

• jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nope, hehe as I said, in the colombian coast , where i live, orchids can barely be found. The ones that i have bought them online and shipped from a city near the Andes.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ask the grower in the Andes if they ship to other growers in your city. Tell them why you want to know. It may be an answer...

jhonconsuegra thanked shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
  • pereiracity
    4 years ago

I live in Pereira, the coffee/Cattleya region. They Catts grow very dark here. That is indeed sunburn. Does it bloom for you in the costal heat?. PM me if you want access to the growers in this area..

jhonconsuegra thanked pereiracity
  • pereiracity
    4 years ago

and the poster is correct, there is no place to buy orchids, media etc. orchid societies don't exist. But if you are in those circles you get whatsapp numbers to people with greenhouses. There is a man in my area that does orchids only 4 huge greenhouses. He's got some really incredible orchids. All grown very very dark. The sun is a lot stronger, we are high altitude and on the equator. You are forced to grow dark or they burn. Hibiscus Bourgenvelia burn in the all day sun to give you some idea.

• jhonconsuegra
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@pereiracity Hola! Gracias por responder. One of them flowered and the other ones developed empty sheaths. They all are looking great except for the one that with sunburn. Here´s a pic of the one that bloomed. Also have a brassocattleya and is doing great. The secret for both species here in the cost is to put them in a shade area with indirect morning light ( That´s how it worked for me).

P.D: Tried to pvt u, but could not figure out how to do it.

Saludos.

• arthurm2015
    4 years ago

Orchid growers are never happy! They want to grow every type of orchid. Sadly there are some types of orchid that will be impossible without an expensive climate controlled growing house.

Nice orchids!

There are some types of orchids that need seasons to do well!

Spoilt here. 90 orchid societies.

General orchid Societies. They try to grow everything!

Cymbidium only orchid Society

Paphiopedilum only orchid Society

Australasian Native Orchid Societies

Species Orchids only Societies

Plenty of growing notes on the net, be aware of where the writer lives.

PS. Some Laeliinae (Cattleya) types will grow a new pseudobulb with sheath and sheath will appear empty, but it it is waiting for better times in spring.

PPS. "colombian coast" maybe Tropical Lowland in orchid jargon.

jhonconsuegra thanked arthurm2015
  • pereiracity
    4 years ago

wow! Jhon Beauties! ok so it's not too hot where you are to bloom them. Grow them dark.. Watch the sun, it is at it's hottest now and in December. I am really not sure about a PM here either so here we go. see if it sticks to the post and you can follow it: Puedehablar conmigoalas: trescientos,cinko uno dos dos,kuatro,dos zero. :-)

Saludos de la capital del eje cafetero!

Suzanna