SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alouwomack

Deck dilemma--rental property.

alouwomack
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am renting my small house to a young lady and her 3 year-old son. Keeping the home in good shape for her is important to me but I do not have a lot of extra cash. (With our arrangement she is essentially making the mortgage payments while I finish nursing school and live elsewhere.)

During excessive rain, she stepped thru one of the boards. Upon removing the damaged board, I discovered a wet, partially rotten joist. I did not realize until now---->>>this area of the deck is built solely on the dirt / ground underneath! How lovely!?! On the opposite end of the deck, there are cement anchors that appear to be keeping the wood off the ground.

The deck is excessive in size & I believe a portion (or all) of it needs to be removed. It is an accident waiting to happen and I fear the deck boards are mostly too far gone to treat and save.

I'm looking for any advice or thoughts on the best way to tackle this. Maybe keeping part of the deck is worth the physical labor and cost? Or remove the whole thing? ((I know how one thing leads to another, so I'm full of dread.))

This pic shows the area (in red) that includes joists sitting on the ground.

This pic might give an idea of the overall size. I do not have exact dimensions.

A broader view of the whole deck. Too big!!!

Comments (4)