SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ned_b

Builders Not Releasing Plans to Clients

A Fox
4 years ago

I wrote a little bit about this in response to the person who had a basement that came out shorter than they expected but had no contract language or drawings that quantified how tall their basement should be. But after writing I thought this was possibly worthy of it's own discussion:

For those of you that read my tread a few months ago poling pros and cons for staying in our historic home or building new, we decided to contact a builder and determine just how much we might expect a new house to cost us to determine if it was even a reasonable option. We selected a builder for which we had toured several of their prior completed homes during our last house hunt. We had seen homes completed both in the 1990s and 2000s and all seemed to be well built, with good finishing details, and had appeared to wear well (both functionally and in appearance) over a couple decades of use.

This builder might fall under the category of "semi-custom." They certainly are not a tract builder. While they do have two subdivisions that they own and only their houses will be built there, they will also build on any lot that you bring to them, and put any one of their plans or a custom plan on one of their lots. Similarly, they have pre-canned plans that are "build ready" and design packages of finishes to choose from for people who want a no hassle purchase process, but they also will customize and rearrange their plans upon request or create a custom creation (especially for their high paying clients). And while they have brands for windows, cladding, cabinets that they always use, most of the finishes are pretty flexible or can be substituted out for something else.

Trying not to waste too much of our time and the builder's, and not wanting to get caught up too much in the details until we saw how much we could afford, we chose to work with an existing plan. We were able to weed through the awkward plans and settled on a center hall colonial revival with a few shortcomings and had it modified over two working meetings until it was close enough to meet our needs and getting a price.

We didn't treat this as a hypothetical exercise, and we made it clear that we were very interested in working with the builder if we could get a lot and house that fit into our budget, so I don't think he treated us any different than any other client. But what I found sort of surprising and more than a little off-putting is that we weren't allowed to take any of their plan drawings, even in their pared down presentation version, or even the custom plan that we worked on together home with us. We could only review the plans during our scheduled one hour appointments. Even at the end of the second appointment we walked out with a descriptive contract we could sign if we chose to move forward, but no record drawings of what we had come up with. We haven't gone any further, so I didn't broach the question, but it made me wonder if similar to the person with the short basement if we would ever get our own set of reference plans.

Another thing that bugged, was when asked about their build and financing process, they explained that they only built houses where they owned the property during construction. So if we came to them with a lot that's not in one of their two subdivisions, we would sell it to them then get it back with the completed house at closing. He could have said that's just the way that they prefer to do business to simplify the financing and build process and money flow. Instead his reasoning was that banks only finance construction loans to builders, and for the builder to hold the loan, they must own the land. But of course individual homeowners can also get a construction loan.

What has everyone else experienced? Is it typical for builders to be so guarded with their own plans and do you think it's really to prevent them from being stolen or is there more that they are trying to keep away from their clients?

Comments (30)