SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyrl

Double Towel Bars and the space between the bars

Kelly Lemay
4 years ago

I am remodeling a small bathroom and looking for a set of hardware with matching sink faucet, shower trim, towel bars, hooks, etc. I am looking at Kohler, Moen, Delta, and American Standard right now. Because it is a small bathroom that will be used regularly by 3 people, I want a 24 inch double towel bar. I found a few collections I was interested in that included the double bar (most don't, it turns out) and started looking at the specs for the double towel bars. I remember years ago buying an inexpensive one and finding that the bars were so close together that you really couldn't hang two sets of towels on it and expect them to dry. I want to make sure there is enough space in between, but the spec sheets don't make it easy. None of them I've seen so far actually include this measurement, and I'm having to kind of guess based on the other measurements given. One I'm concerned about is the Iso towel bar from Moen. It shows that from both a top view and front view, the bars are 2.17 in apart. I used my pythagorean theorem (I'm a math teacher) to determine that the diagonal distance apart must be about 3 inches. This seems way too close, doesn't it? Another Moen one, Hensley, seems about the same. From what I can tell I think the ones from the other companies are farther apart, which is a bummer because I was kind of leaning towards one of the Moen collections.

I was wondering if these double towel bars are typically made on a larger scale/smaller scale by certain manufacturers, or what others' experiences have been. In a couple of weeks I will be able to go to some showrooms and hopefully see some examples in person, but I was hoping to narrow down my preferences quite a bit before then. If you have a double towel bar, please share what you think about the dimensions and who makes it. Thanks!!!

Here are a few examples of what I've been looking at

Moen Iso

American Standard Townsend

Kohler Margaux

I guess one way to judge is by how far the whole thing comes out from the wall?

Thanks!

Comments (8)