SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

June 2019, Week 3

Happy Father's Day to all of you who are fathers, grandfathers or who fill a fatherly role in the life of any child! Hope y'all have a great day.

So, here we are, halfway through the first summer month and we've barely been roasting hot at all. Isn't that awesome? Yesterday was one of our warmer days down here, and we only hit 90 degrees with a heat index of 100. That doesn't sound very pleasant, but it really isn't bad for us in mid-June.

I guess most of us got rain either yesterday or overnight and will be getting more, potentially, today. It is hard to be unhappy about summer rain except when there is too much of it. We only got about a half-inch here. Lately, it seems that no matter how much the storms dump elsewhere, we only get a half-inch, as if our rain is being rationed. I'm not complaining, though, because at least we did get some rain overnight and it feels much cooler and more pleasant today than it did yesterday.

In the garden, I managed to get two more beds thoroughly weeded, deadheaded, harvested, and filled with succession plantings of cleome, cosmos, zinnias, Texas hummingbird sage, and several varieties of nicotianas on Friday. I got another 2 beds half-way done. Because I was working on the edge of the garden where grass often invades the pathways, and I was tackling that grass, apparently I got chiggers. Ouch! That means the next few days will be itchy. I'm trying so hard to resist scratching because I think that makes the chigger bites exponentially worse. Oh well, the pathways look good and clear again and the 2 beds I finished are in great shape. That's a total of 10 raised beds and accompanying pathways I was able to complete last week, leaving me only 4 raised beds and their surrounding paths to finish this week, and two of those beds are half done. It is a good thing, because the weeds are at risk of getting out of control in all this rain if I don't get them out of those pathways now. I need to put down more mulch at the lower end of the garden where I'm working now.

The tomato harvest and snap bean harvest both are very heavy now and I'm stressing over getting everything harvested and processed. It probably is going to be a long, hard week with far too many hours spent in the kitchen, but I think that if I can get all these tomatoes and beans processed this week, then it will be easier afterwards because the tomatoes and beans are at peak harvest now. I am yanking out tomato plants as soon as I get their main harvest done (yes, I am leaving small green tomatoes on the plants as I yank them and I do not care---I'm burning out on having to deal with so many) because we only need so many tomatoes processed and put away in the freezer and I'm over it. The raised bed I stripped of its tomato plants last week is fully replanted with all kinds of flowers, including roselles, and will look gorgeous in bloom in a few weeks. I can't wait to do the same thing this week with another raised bed of tomato plants. Too many tomatoes is just too many tomatoes. Even after I take the plants out of that second bed this week, (I'm waiting for all the big tomatoes to break color), I'll still have about 30 tomato plants left, so it isn't like we're about to run out of tomatoes.

It is increasingly hard to stay caught up on all the mowing and weeding, but we're giving it our best shot.

The stink bug and grasshopper populations are off the charts in our garden. I have never, ever seen as many stink bugs as I'm seeing now. I cut each one I see in half with my scissors, and I bet I've killed several dozen over the last week....and more, more, more just keep coming. They can ruin tomatoes, so I try to stay on top of them as much as I possibly can.

What's new with everyone? I am rapidly burning out on the edible garden and planning to turn the front garden into a cutting garden for the next three summers, at least, partly as an attempt to halt the disease and pest build-up you can see occurring in a long-time vegetable garden, and partly just because I'd like an easier summer not spent canning, freezing and dehydrating produce non-stop. Mostly just because I want more flowers! We're also going to spend some time this summer cutting down some of the trees around the house, and taking out all the shrubs and groundcovers so I can work on the soil this summer, and completely redo the landscape sometime over the next year. We want to keep enough of the trees to give us good shade, but not shade that is as heavy as what it is now. The shrubs? Just too big and overgrown after 20 years and in need of updating/replacing. I thought about just pruning up some of the shrubs tree-form, but that would just leave us with too much shade still.

I hope everyone has a great week and is able to enjoy some beneficial rainfall without flooding, hail and damaging winds. The higher temperatures and heat are coming---it is inevitable, so I hope this isn't our last semi-cool week. (LOL---only in OK can a crazy person say it was 90 degrees yesterday, felt like 100 degrees, and still is semi-cool. If you aren't crazy before you move here and start dealing with OK's extreme weather, you'll be that crazy eventually.)

Dawn

Comments (32)