SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmwalsh85

Andersen 400 series Black but wth with the Grey Jambs?!

Julie Schmooley
4 years ago

Tried researching online and unfortunately not finding a lot of info so thought I’d turn to trusty Houzz! We just got our last window delivery, all black windows from Andersen. Unfortunately, I had no idea that the rubber part of the insides of the windows (jambs)? Would be grey!! They stick out like a sore thumb.
White windows, white jambs
I assumed black windows, black jambs.

Highly unlikely I’ll be able to do anything about it in regards to returns, it’s also not the end of the world BUT I’m not a fan and neither is my husband.

Question: was anyone else shocked with this? How did you resolve it, or get over it?
Can it be painted or replaced to be black?

Do I need to just chill tf out :)

Thanks!! I’ll take a photo tomorrow! The windows are beautiful, but just shocked about this !

Comments (91)

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good call everyone seeing the pics online. When we did this, I was stressed out of my head and literally was using an Anderson catalog book from my contractor. Having never ordered windows in my life I was just focused on style and color and never knew about this stuff Hahaa glad there are pics online but I think it’s still misleading a bit. Glad others have been warned with this post and from knowledgeable contractors :)

• Jamie Kennedy
    last year

We are literally using RBA all black windows and I was shocked when I saw a second color. we were mislead into thinking the full window was black. We had a black window installed 2 yesrs ago and its fully black. I know I can get over it! im just annoyed that we werent showed the color difference. on the website it looks fully black!

• Related Discussions

Looking for windows with black interior and black exterior

Q

Comments (162)
    We were also wanting windows with black interiors and exteriors. For us the local availability brought it down to a choice between Pella or Milgard fiberglass windows. The Pella offerings were somewhat pricier, and we could never quite understand the why of it. We wound up selecting Milgard Ultra, and we're happy with the end results. And Milgard's warranty was fantastic, as our landscaper accidentally hit one window with a stone and chipped it, but Milgard replaced the insert without so much as a blink. One factor is whether a particular manufacturer's black is acceptable to you. Milgard's is called Black Bean, which is a bit lighter than true black, and I fussed over this for quite a while. Pella's may have been very slightly blacker, but also not true black. Now that we can see the final product in place, it looks fine. Good luck on your project. Brian
    ...See More

Anderson Woodwright versus 400 series

Q

Comments (41)
    I priced the Marvin Ultimate Next Gen and they are quite a bit more than both the A-series and the TW400s. A 3'by4' DH Marvin Ultimate was quoted at $750 while the A-series was $500 and the TW400 only $340. The Marvins were quoted by a window/door company and the Anderson's by Home Depot. I'm now leaning toward the A-series but may fall back to the TW400 depending on how the budget shakes out. Any thoughts on the pricing discrepancy? I thought the Ultimates would be more but not 50% over the A-series and double the TW400s. The Ultimates are definitely a nicer looking window but how much time will I spend staring at my windows once they're installed?
    ...See More

Buyer Beware: Black Andersen 400 Series Casement Windows

Q

Comments (85)
    Dealing with a similar sutuation. New build with same windows. I was a little surprised when i noticed the exterior mitre joints, as mine are identical. One thing i know for sure is that “damage” you think is from the factory is 100% from the installer. Mine were installed with way more damage. Aside from the major damage, I did have those scuff/scratch type marks all over several of mine as well, the good news is - they literally wipe off with a decent amount of elbow grease. I was happy when I realized it wasnt permanent.
    ...See More

Andersen 100 Series casement pricing

Q

Comments (6)
    The 100 series is not the most expensive line even in casements. The 400 is a vinyl clad sash with wood jambs , so not really much wood in this package. Did you send your pricing through the Home Depot bid room? They often Have 15% sales as well. Sounds like you did some homework , keep us updated.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

That is a premium priced unit too.

• julierizzo5
    last year

Has anyone tried to paint the ugly gray jamb liner?

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

"Has anyone tried to paint the ugly gray jamb liner"

Will not last as the sash slide up and down and the jamb liner will move slightly, paint will not stick for more than a very short time.

• PRO
    Hallmark Interiors
    last year

I am really bothered by the gray jamb, what alternatives are fully black? Most of the house will be casements - the master suite will be double hungs. Could you use Andersen casements and something else for the double hungs or would the difference be noticeable?

• Justin DeSilva
    last year

My preference is to source windows and doors from the same manufacturer, preferably from the same range. Merging windows and doors from different suppliers is doable but difficult to get right.

I agree with millworkman but, if i desperately wanted the jambs black I would remove and bring the jambs to an autobody shop. A two part automotive paint will stick to vinyl as well as it sticks to plastic ABS/PE bumpers and rear view mirrors. Once cured, there's no tacky surface like a single part paint (rust-oleum). And the paint will survive UV and temperature swings. If the windows were in a kitchen or bathroom with constant opening and closing you might see signs of wear but the wear would be less noticeable than the gray strip.

Side note, nowadays homes are designed and built with the intention the windows will rarely ever be opened to manage temperature and humidity control. Our house is old, and I'm old school so I open windows at night and close during the day.

If the gray bothered me, which it does, I would have them painted. Worse case scenario you could always order a replacement set of jambs if in fact the two part paint doesn't work out. Why am i not painting mine you might ask, I've got too many other projects going on so the gray jambs are simply a lower priority.

• John
    last year

Marvin has a fully black double hung. After the mistake with Anderson we did more research and decided on Marvin for rest of the house. They are definitely higher quality for similar price… never again will I buy Andersen

• Edward L
    last year

So today i went to finalize my 400 series double hung windows and with that i was made aware of this issue everyone is disscussing. My salesperson asked white or gray jams ? I was cofused as logically you would think black goes with black ?!?!? Not grey or white !!! I was in shock as now i am.back to.the drawing board. This is totally ridiculous and makes no sense as a manufacture standpoint. The salesmen told me andersen defaults to white jams which makes no sense for black. Still baffled by this information. I am very lucky that i was told as i now have a hard decison to make.

Its crazy there is no actual image on the site to show this flaw ,assuming this is on purpose. Thank you for starting this conversation and hearing everyone's concerns has made me really think Marvin is the way to go !!!

If anyone has a picture of the marvin windows can they post a picture?

Thanks a million all!!

• John
    last year

These are the Marvin ultimate that we chose after the Andersen issues. Love them so much! Everything is black, even in between the glass. We get compliments from everyone who comes in that the complete black just pops! This picture was taken right after install per trim of course

• Edward L
    last year

Thank you John, they look amazing!! I discussed the option of Marvin with my salesman and they are way higher then the andersen 400 series.

Was this the case for everyone who went this way?

• Edward L
    last year

Started looking into pella now as they offer the black jam. anyone else try them ? Marvin was way more money than andersen for me.

• millworkman
    last year

"Started looking into pella now as they offer the black jam"

To me I would take any color jamb liner over anything Pella, just my .02....

• Edward L
    last year

Really are they that bad compared to andersen ???

• rmdevries
    last year

Had Pella Casement windows in our last house and never had an issue. Would have re-ordered the same for the house we just built but delivery delayed by by a few months when we were ordering, so we went with Anderson.

• millworkman
    last year

Performance, quality control, fit and finish, as well as customer service have been poor to fair since the 70's

• Edward L
    last year

Appreciate everyone comments ! Does anyone have more pictures of their 400 or woodwright with the black exterior/white interior?? Trying to make the best decision

• HU-500281243
    last year

Have Pella Lifestyle double hung in 6000 sq ft house. They are perfect. Looks, mechanisms, locks, etc.

• millworkman
    last year

"Have Pella Lifestyle double hung in 6000 sq ft house. They are perfect. Looks, mechanisms, locks, etc."

How long have they been installed?

• HU-500281243
    last year

1 full year.

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

I think it’s been a while since I shared a photo. My construction has been a very long process, 4 years in the making. The gray jams don’t bother me anymore HAHAHA but glad this post has brought awareness. I learned so much about all of this. Here’s a pic of my windows gray and all. My trim will be gray (London fog) I’m hoping that will make it less apparent.

• dakota1353
    last year

Looking great Julie!

we are in the middle of a build from HELL..Between GC, general delays, poor scheduling, increase of cost on everything, and just these crazy times.. I wouldn't do it again. we are still waiting on many items that are either backordered or just poor lead times. I've learned through all of this a damn gray jamb is not going to be something I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. The windows themselves look pretty nice now that the walls are going up, they are quiet, easy to open/close/lock and they are air tight! They perform as a window should. 6-8 months behind a ”normal” build schedule. But we’re still truckin’

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Isn’t it funny the things we let go of Dakota? The windows look amazing! These times are just so hard the costs of everything it’s just madness. I will never do this again either ha ha ha

• Kathryn Strum
    last year

Can anyone tell me how long it took to receive their Andersen windows, especially if you ordered black/black?

• stacey5050
    last year

Just received our 38 Andersen 400 series black windows and the gray jams look terrible. They look cheap and unfinished. I'm so upset after spending so much money. Andersen is offering no solutions. Please beware out there! Don't be fooled by the sales person. The team seem so caring and professional. As soon as they receive your money, it's a different story. Now I have to live with windows that I literally loathe and my bank account is empty.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

What were you expecting? They have other options that would give you the look.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

Did you have a chance to see a sample window prior? 38 windows is a significant purchase no matter what product you are talking about.

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Toddinmn, the point from this thread is that there are numerous customers who had no idea about the black windows with gray jambs. I was expecting black and black, just like how with white windows they are white on white.

It’s unfortunate and ya know a lot of us don’t necessarily have experience in this department. I had a contractor who showed me a catalog book and the windows weren’t shown in color. I was focused on the grill and the sizing.

Anderson windows needs to step up their marketing, and customer service. Windows are a big investment and it’s unfair when they are so poorly described, or even sold by vendors/contractors etc

• stacey5050
    last year

Toddinmn, The salesman showed me a picture on his computer which was all black. I ordered BLACK windows, not black with gray jams or so I thought. I assumed when I ordered black windows, they would be black. The gray is ugly and has a look of being unfinished and stands out against the black. Obviously, Andersen does not care about aesthetics of their product. Shame on Andersen!!! Because of the expense, I assumed I was purchasing high end windows. I wish I was offered different options. I wasn't; I believe the sales guy didn't want to lose the sale.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    last year

I completely empathize with recieving a finished product that doesn't meet your expectations, but it should be pointed out that it is quite common for windows to have some sort of "neutral color" in jambs and other surfaces that don't directly face the interior or exterior. Same thing applies to windows with stained interior, where surfaces that will see friction from weatherstripping etc are beige or brown. If there is anything to take away here, it would be to view the product that you are considering upfront and ask questions, as something that is "normal" may not be what you are expecting.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

I could see that happening looking at the the window head on. Views from an angle or close ups make it very apparent. I wound not say Anderson does not care about aesthetics, it is more of a limit of what they can do with a color of a jambliner. I think they and the salesperson could do a better job to highlight this.

• stacey5050
    last year

• stacey5050
    last year

Black windows should be black, white windows should be white, and sand stone windows should be sand stone. Period. This two tone look needs to go. Andersen do better.

• stacey5050
    last year

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Hugs Stacey I feel your pain. I can say that after a long time it becomes less of an eyesore

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

This is from there catalog.

The jambliner system is older and very limited in color options. The 400 Woodwright and A-Series use a modern hidden liner that have covers that are stained or painted to match the window. The two tone look has its place which is a cheaper option.

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Do you know what year they started having covers for them?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

The 400 does not have any covers available.

The 400 Woodwright and A-Series cone from the factory with wood covers that hide most od the vinylTL jamb parts.

• stacey5050
    last year

Update. Anderson came out to the house to discuss options and seemed sincerely apologetic that double hung window hardware wasnt fully explained to us. They gave us several options to choose from. Although the options arent my first choice, i feel like customer service is important to them. Andersen is attempting to work with us and come to some type of resolution. Not sure what we are going to do, but at least Andersen cares enough to dialogue about it.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    last year

What did they give for options?

• John
    last year

Anderson told me for months they were going to fix. Then stopped calling me back. They don’t care about customers. I will literally never purchase them again. I’d be interested to see what they tell you. If the suggest painting, do not do that. They suggest a processes to heat jams and seal the paint on, but after calling a local shop they said it will chip quickly given the rubbing of the sill.

• Kate
    last year

I just had Pella double hung outside dark brown and inside almond hung. Immediately, I noticed the white jam on the outside view so now I have a brick house with cream trim around the window, a dark brown window and grid with a white stripe in between the trim and window. Unbelieveable! Nearly 80K retail (discounted through our contractor) and I’m sick about the exterior look. I really don’t know what recourse I have, but NOT HAPPY at all. Dark Brown window should be dark brown all around!

• Miranda Paton
    last year

FYI: I am in the middle of revising/double-checking an order for Windsor Pinnacle windows. One of the things on the order (though not a feature pointed out to me by the sales person) is the color of the jambliner. Windsor's options, I believe, are black, white and that warm grey.

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    last year

Here is my kitchen done, and I’m really glad my trim is gray. It makes all of this look deliberate. If it helps for any others, just an idea to throw out there. It is annoying still, but at least now it looks like it was part of my design.
    Note: trim was not selected for the jambs lol it’s an old colonial and so I was trying to do period style (colored trim) but with a modern color.

• Miranda Paton
    last year

That is lovely! I really appreciate the close-up pictures. Other people really need to see the iighter jambliners with dark windows. In the store where I shopped, the only had a white window and white jambliner. That doesn't tell you what you need to know when ordering dark windows. Thank you again!

• HU-681896862
    7 months ago

OMG i have the same issue except jeldwen black windows with whute jam liners !!! it really sticks out & is noticable from inside as well as ouside. Jeldwen says it is not a warranty issue (dah) & u cannot paint them or it can inferfere with the operation of the window so I too an stuck with these windows short of removing them & returning them ..:.: really disappointed 🤦‍♀️

• HU-681896862
    7 months ago

We just installed our jeldwen black windows & they have white jam liners ! Of course we were not aware of this when we ordered them either. we waited 6 weeks to get them so short of removing them & returning we are stuck with them. Jeldwen say it isnt a warranty issue (dah) & u cannot paint them because it will interfere with the operation of the window ! i am so frustrated as we paid $850 per 3x6 window !!!!

• Julie Schmooley
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Sorry HU:(

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 months ago

Part of the problem is these windows are often sold at big box stores with people who are not famiar with the product. The visible jambliner systems are pretty old tech and sold on the lower lines. Both of these companies have higer lines with hidden liner systems with paintable covers and much easier tilt in features. .

• Andie Bondy
    last month

Does having screens on the outside cover a little bit of the gray? I just got my windows installed and I’m having the same issue with the gray showing.