SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Maria Mathilda and Aussie Sixer?

Just ordered these two from RU, but not finding much out there about them. Does anybody out there grow them? I’d love to hear any experience with them. Many thanks!! :-)

Comments (25)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Perma, I can tell you this..any rose by M. S. Viraraghavan will do great here. Many Rosarians recommend his roses here. Let me know how Aussie Sixer goes as scent wise :)

jin

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have read that, since they are bred in India. Thanks, Jin! Sure will! :-)

4 years ago

Whoa, I just read on HMF. It is dead gorgeous. Whoa, check this out.......

Just as the Tea Rose Book is a sparkling new assessment of what is old, the parentage of my ‘Aussie Sixer’ is a combination of the best of old and hopefully of the new – one of the oldest of Tea roses, ‘Safrano’ combined with the Noisette, ‘Reve d’Or’ and the species Rosa gigantea itself. In other words, ‘Aussie Sixer’ is the result of crossing Safrano x my ‘Manipur Magic’ ( R.gigantea x Reve d’Or).
    We were keen to name a rose to honour the tremendous work done by the six ladies, and after getting their permission, we have named this Tea seedling of ours ‘Aussie Sixer’.

Perma, I guess I should get this rose too and definitely going to thank you for introducing it .
    I, remembered, Cori Ann told me to click on his name and all his roses will pop up.. something like that and I never did. I totally forgot about it until I saw his name today again. She highly recommended another rose to me. Coffee something name and ARE sells it.
    I have not heard if either roses but you do have great taste.

jin

jin

• suncoastflowers
    4 years ago

Oh those are so beautiful! It's nice to see new roses that love our climate!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked suncoastflowers
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

They both seem to be excellent roses and I love the story behind Aussie Sixer. Those splendid ladies of the tea rose book very much deserve to have a rose named after them.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Aussie Sixer looks really wonderful in HMF.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • pat_bamaz7
    4 years ago

Perma, my new Aussie Sixer from the RU sale is going in the ground today. We'll have to compare notes.

oldrosarian, your Maria Mathilda is beautiful!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked pat_bamaz7
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jin, was it Coffee Country? I just got that one too. Gorgeous blooms so far, and very healthy.

Thank you, Pat—yes, let‘s compare notes on how they do!

Old Rosarian, thank you so much for the photos; I chose MM because of what I read about the fragrance...is yours fragrant?

I agree, Sheila & Ingrid, AS looks like a beautiful rose to pay tribute to all their work.

I’ll keep you guys posted on how they do here. :-)

4 years ago

Yes, it is coffee country. It is beautiful and there is another Faith Whittlesey . If my memory is correct I saw FW when Kim Rupert paste a pic of it to Nik ( Greek) . It is absolutely Beautiful.
    And yes....I still have not got that either. I am such a procrastinator, sigh !!
    Lol :)

jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep; I think that post was how it went on my list. I’m making what I’m calling my “moody” colors bed...Coffee Country, Koko Loko, and Distant Drums, plus any others I can find. So far, Coffee Country likes out hot & humid summer way better than KL and a little better than DD, which makes total sense considering their varied breeding.

I’ve got Quicksilver & Lady Ashe on the fence behind them, so it’s an experimental bed. :-)

4 years ago

You can always tell me how Lady Ash is doing ? I am way behind in buying anything as I am so determine to work on my soul amendments. I have 13 roses sitting in huge pots that need to go into the ground end if this year.
    I can imagine your bed with all the moody colours. I bet it is going to look so different and unique. My back of the house...I just want all whites roses or near whites with tints of colours sometimes I just want it to be more cottage style. Still deciding and debating on that huge corner.

jin

4 years ago

Another beauty I like is Bermuda roses. Google it and you will see some really beautiful ones. I don't have any of those roses but hoping next year I might get a few.
    jin

4 years ago

Perma, your "moody" bed sounds fascinating and I can't wait to see pictures!

Jin, the Bermuda roses are great. Right now I have Spice and Bermuda Kathleen, and in the past have had Soncy, Carnation and Miss Atwood. These are roses that deserve not to be forgotten and should be planted more often in our gardens.

4 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid. I keep forgetting I do have one .. Kathleen. Nevertheless, I still want more different varieties.
    jin

4 years ago

I totally agree with you Ingrid !!

jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the Bermudas, too, Jin! How is Kathleen doing for you? She’s so pretty! :-)

4 years ago

Well, last yr was great but this year maybe it is the radiant heat from the wall. It did not bloom for summer and I am hoping it will for Fall. A few pics I found ..

jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very pretty, Jin! My roses are all pretty shut down—I think a normal response to the heat. :-)

4 years ago

Jin, it's interesting that your BK has only the one color while mine always has both dark and light pink shading. I suppose the dry versus wet climate might explain the difference.

I really love spice, and loved Miss Atwood, which was probably my largest tea rose, but it died as the drought continued, before I had drip watering. Spice is a Bermuda rose I love, and Soncy (which I bought as Alexander Hill Gray) was gorgeous, although I took it out because it was always covered in mildew (my fault, stuck between two other roses, where it had no ventilation).

Alexander Hill Gray (thought to be the same rose as Soncy by Vintage)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ingrid, those are all so lovely! AHG is stunning! I have a baby of him, and I’m really hoping he will be happy here. Your Kathleen shading is really interesting, too. So pretty! :-)

4 years ago

Perma, I wish you great luck with your baby rose. Just show him the picture above if he begins to lag, so he'll know exactly what he's supposed to do!

4 years ago

Ingrid, your Kathleen is beautiful. Perhaps, I need to show her your pic. I think mine is young but I have seen lighter colours before but yours has strong colour variation than mine.

Perma, my roses actually shut down when we having heatwaves. Most of them where sitting there like a bump on a log..... A few buds that did bloom were so, so small. I never seen roses acting this way but I know not to freak out.

jin

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ingrid, thank you for that gorgeous photo of AHG—yes, I will show my baby this photo to encourage him!

Jin, I think we got shortchanged on our spring bloom period, with the super early heatwave. I’m just hoping for a great fall!! :-)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County