SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_321893153

HELP . . . black quartz countertops.. What would you do??

Stacey Silver
4 years ago

I have been debating on doing a two tone style kitchen for months now!.. I just can't make up my mind. My cabinets are light maple and my backsplash is grey.

Your thoughts on the slab would really help, please share!

verona quartz sun valley, CA

color: monte nero verona quartz

Link to see the quartz:

verona quartz surfaces

Comments (124)

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the only con of having quartz is the hot pot doing damage to the surface?

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey guys what should I do for the backsplash?.. Should I continue with the stone I chose?

See the image of the slab below.

monte nero quartz

verona quartz

Link to the slab: https://www.veronaquartz.com/quartz-surfaces

• Related Discussions

Would you use quartz countertops in a mid-high end rental?

Q

Comments (21)
    Beth H. That's what I've been looking into - just came back from a supplier. My initial issue with granite was the noise (that wouldn't work with the space and paint etc) but I've found better options that are grade 3,4,5 etc. The grade 1-3's I've seen aren't worth the much lower price for this space. Right now I like Alaskan White Granite, pre fab, but that comes out to $4k. I can get level 1-2's for $2,000 installed, but it isn't worth it. I'm only looking at buying by the sq ft, which is generally pre fab, rather than buying 2 stones with waste (I have 75 sq ft of countertop w/ Island).
    ...See More

What color quartz countertop do you think will look best?

Q

Comments (4)
    Why not go for drama and try soapstone? You won’t have to worry about your beauty products damaging the stone. And you can get an integrated sink so you won’t have that scuzzy line where the sink meets the counter.
    ...See More

I want to do two-tone countertops, but need help choosing the black,

Q

Comments (6)
    @Patricia Colwell and @lucky998877 are right. You need to have one cabinet color to have two counters, or one counter to have two cabinets. Personally, I would rather see two cabinets with one counter, if you want that variety. If you aren't bound to the blue island, I'd do it in a stunning black with the counter you've selected.
    ...See More

Would you Accept this Cambria Quartz Countertop Install?

Q

Comments (34)
    Home Depot doesn't charge for Cambria by the slab but by the square foot. They argue that this saves you money, but it occurred to me that such a policy might also lead a fabricator who didn't have immediate access to a matching slab to take a piece from another slab, one he THOUGHT looked the same to him. We all know opinions vary but THIS LOOKS HORRIBLE TO ME FROM THE GET-GO, obvious NOT a match. It's not a match either because it doesn't come from a matching slab OR the rt. hand one is turned UPSIDE DOWN from the other. There is an interesting post on Viatera Soprano which many of us followed: the customer kept staring at the quartz that she had put on the large backsplash. Something was wrong, Yep: When he cut the slabs for the backsplash, the top and bottom of each piece were opposite of one another.
    ...See More
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The major downsides to quartz are its cost, its susceptibility to damage from heat, and the fact that it tends to look like what it is - an artificial copy of natural stone. That quartz looks like it’s a copy of Nero Marquina or Black Calacatta Marble. To some it will look fake; others won’t be bothered by it. You just have to go and look at both the real material and the quartz in person and decide what you can live with, both in terms of form and function. There’s no perfect material, just the one that, for you, has benefits that outweigh costs.

i should also say - I started off thinking g quartz was the answer for us. Then I went and looked at both quartz and teal stone in person, and I found that, for me, it looked too much like the real tho g without actually looking like the real thing, if that makes sense. We kept looking and are ending up with leathered black granite. Many others do the same evaluation and conclude quartz is best for them.

Stacey Silver thanked Kristin S
  • chispa
    4 years ago

I used man made quartz on all my bathroom counters, but used quartzite (real stone) in my kitchen.

Be careful with off-white ... once installed it can end up looking very creamy yellow, which will not be a good look with gray floors and black counters. I would still go with a white, but pick one that isn't stark with that cold blue tint.

You MUST bring the white samples to your house. The perfect sample in a store can look awful once in the actual room in that particular house.

Stacey Silver thanked chispa
  • Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Regarding the backsplash: that choice should be LAST. After everything is in. Don’t even think about it now. Table it. You will think about it once everything is installed. I cannot convey strongly enough how thIngs will look different once all is installed, I guaranty it. Then it will give you the opportunity to choose a backsplash cohesive with the rest of the installed kitchen. Or, to fix/balance out some off-balance colors (I’m guessing it’s a pretty good bet you’ll be dying for some color in your backsplash, given the choices you’ve shown so far). You will regret it if you choose the backsplash early. You’ve been warned.

Stacey Silver thanked Shannon_WI
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

This below is the absolute best advice for you Stacey:

This post exhibits what can be the worst about GW/Houzz. :-) For someone without a good clear strong vision of what needs to happen, the introduction of so many choices, and so much information, can be paralyzing. People are often overwhelmed by the multiple (and different) opinions.

Sometimes the right answer IS to work with a single experienced person whose work that you admire. You get more targeted personalized advice, and only a single voice to have to listen to. :-)

Stacey Silver thanked cpartist
  • rachann61
    4 years ago

Stacy, I bet you are wishing that you did not asked for advice. This is your kitchen, and the others you live with. You know how you live and use your space. Whatever choices you make I am sure they will be right for you. If these choices jumped out and you loved them it is right for you. One more little bit: black countertop surfaces suck up light in a room. This is from personal experience. The guys are carrying the slab in and it is sucking light. But I love my charcoal black quartz and it is 6 years old. Don’t let critics bring you down. I am sure your choices will be right for you. Get what you and your family want and to hell with trends

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"And granite can be put behind a cooktop. Quartz can't."

If you follow the manufacturer's installation instructions, you can put tissue paper behind a cooktop. You show me a scorched engineered stone backsplash and I'll show you an illiterate. Or two.

Stacey Silver thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • RedRyder
    4 years ago

Stacy, your last post says you are doing white cabinets. If you’re in love with the countertop you initially saw, then go with it. Your choice of white paint will be critical so I add my vote to the crowd that says “Get a Kitchen Designer!” At the LEAST, she will help you with the white paint choice. Then, after installation of the cabinets (or repainting job) and countertop, you choose a backsplash.
    You need one-on-one help. As you can see, you inadvertently started a public forum on granite vs. everything else. None of it matters. Right now you have a demolished kitchen and are confused and undecided.
    The white cabinets and countertop choice are good together. Get local help with the rest.
    Or you can keep hearing the Houzz crowd argue over countertop materials.

Stacey Silver thanked RedRyder
  • silken1
    4 years ago

I also see the OP commented that a drawback of quartz is not able to put hot pots on it. Stone should not have anything extremely hot put on it either. You can cause it to crack from the sudden temperature change. Or an inclusion could explode. Use trivets or hot pads and cutting boards on any of your counter top surfaces and they will remain in good condition for you.

Stacey Silver thanked silken1
  • My House
    4 years ago

Chispa- I'm glad to give you a chuckle. This post has had some comical posts. Rather than be helpful to the OP, some folks argue statistics from a Houzz survey, and worse yet, question the OP's opinion regarding granite. Some folks made pointless statements to defend granite. She already indicated she doesn't want granite. lol.

STACY- , How long do you intend to live in this home? If forever, choose your heart's desire. Get some perspective as to what you really want. You've removed your kitchen partly- what was your original plan? Was Monte part of it originally, or were you seduced by the high contrast slab in the showroom? The model homes in Rosedale, Porter Ranch, and West Hills, which range from high $900s to -1.4 mil. Contrary to Chispa's belief, they are not builder spec homes, but customizable- especially at that price point.

Stacey Silver thanked My House
  • User
    4 years ago

Rather than be helpful to the OP, some folks argue statistics from a Houzz survey, and worse yet, question the OP's opinion regarding granite. Some folks made pointless statements to defend granite. She already indicated she doesn't want granite. lol.

DK Haas - I have read through this thread, and your first paragraph I pasted above just isn't correct. You were the one to argue the Houzz statistics, and people got off track to discuss granite due to the incorrect statements made (such as yours, that Quartz is more durable), but were not trying to question the OP's choice of Quartz. Everything in your first paragraph is really more about how you've stirred the pot. You are more reactive than most on here when people disagree with you. Some people just cannot take disagreement.

Anyway, I agree that the best option for the OP is to get off this thread which has gone in several directions, and hire a designer.

Stacey Silver thanked User
  • My House
    4 years ago

SaHammy-. You are so funny, Clearly, you didn't read through the entire thread (see the earliest comments)

My statement re: "quartz is more durable" is from the article- READ the link - attached.

CPartist claimed "I bet granite is more durable."

LOL

Perhaps you are late to this discussion and missed the initial post that challenged the OP's feeling re:" granite looking dated.". (same post tha referred to her intended floors as "dated") That statement led to folks defending their granite- depth of color, durabiliity in an office building, blah blah blah. I posted the HOUZZ Survey link which substantiated the OP's feelings. The OP saI'd re: granite "Please no granite, I feel like they are dated," which led to the diehard granite lovers to respond.

Stacey Silver thanked My House
  • vinmarks
    4 years ago

DK Haas we are correcting your misinformation of quartz being more durable than granite. That is simply not true. If the OP doesn't want granite that's fine. There is nothing wrong with quartz but stop making false statements.

Stacey Silver thanked vinmarks
  • My House
    4 years ago

Vinmarks. READ: https://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/design/granite-vs-quartz-is-one-better-than-the-other direct quote from article below:

Granite is a durable material that’s resistant to heat and many other kitchen elements. Due to its porous nature though, there can be some staining if spilled liquids are left sitting and damage can be done if your counter receives a high impact blow.

Quartz is actually harder than granite and thus, MORE DURABLE. In fact, quartz is nearly indestructible, and because it isn’t porous like granite, it’s easy to keep your countertops relatively bacteria-free. Be careful with cooking apans though: Quartz can be damaged by excessive heat, so use heating pads at all times.

Drop the mic....

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

For residential use in the US, Corian is often used in bathrooms. It’s used commercialply in hospitals all over the US. In Britain and Europe , it’s still considered a high end product for residential use.

A few few years after Corian was introduced in the US (mine was installed 34 years ago), Corian had problems with many of their installers. They called back the credentials of all and required that they all be re-certified. This was about the time granite came on the scene. Many former Corian installers did not bother to be re-certified and started installing granite instead. This is why Corian lost favor for residential use in the US.

Stacey Silver thanked Anglophilia
  • jad2design
    4 years ago

I’m inclined to agree that a kitchen designer would be helpful. We tend to get anxious about choice of surface treatments - what is fashionable, or durable or the best match for the rest of our home. All that is really important but it should not obscure the fact that the kitchen is a working space first and foremost. KDs help their clients determine how the kitchen is going to function as well how it looks. There may be simple changes you haven’t considered to the layout or the interior fittings that could make the room really tailored to your needs. Worth a thought, anyway.

Regarding quartz, I think it can be a gorgeous material, but man made products can have some heat issues - and not just with crock pots or Foreman grills - ask my nephew, who cracked his 4 month old counter by using a sous vide machine on it. I recommend reading up on the materials you are considering. There it an excellent site (https://usenaturalstone.org) with articles on countertops, etc. Their focus is on natural stone, but there is a recent article there on quartz by a geologist and frequent Houzz contributor - Karin_mt.

Stacey Silver thanked jad2design
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following

Stacey Silver thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey everybody your feedback is amazing. I just caught up with everything, dearly sorry for the wait!

So corian?.. Is that a good option..

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know I desperately need a designer guys! :/ But i wanted to make this a little DIY remodel, you know?

I think that may be possible with your help!

• rachann61
    4 years ago

Not corian but quartz is a great choice. Or granite. This is again the compare and contrast situation that has been going on this conversation. Kitchen remodels with new cabs and counters are not a small DYI project. But new paint and cabinet pulls are. Choose your battles wisely

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

If you really don’t want to use a designer, you need to start with a very clear idea of what you want the final result to look like. Can you share pictures of what you’re dream look would be? A few inspiration kitchens?

• jad2design
    4 years ago

Doing a refresh of the kitchen (as opposed to more major remodel) certainly makes sense if you like the current layout; the cabinets and their finish are in good shape, and if you will be in your home for at least a couple of years (different considerations if you were selling soon, maybe). Cabinets are definitely the biggest ticket item, so, as has been suggested, checking out other kitchens on Houzz that feature maple cabinets would be a good place to start. Don’t change them if you don’t have to. Really handsome hardware goes a long way. You also could paint them, but that is usually at least 5k and post factory paint jobs have a tendency to chip. it should be the option however if you specifically want the quartz pattern you picked out, and you only want that. I’m thinking if you stay with maple a softer gray might be alright? but the very dramatic black would end up looking harsh.

In re Corian or Quartz as materials there is nothing wrong with either. Or with granite or quartzite. They all have their strengths and weaknesses - basically you just want your choice to be a good match with the way your family cooks - or at least not a bad match :).

In re kitchen remodels, major or modest, what people should do first is take a long look at how they are using the space and how both storage and access could be improved. Like most of America (not those chic European kitchens !) there is a lot of stuff out on your counters, even though there looks to be ample storage space. You might think about budgeting for a ton of after market cabinet fittings - glide out shelving, pull down racks, appliance elevators, etc. Rev a Shelf and that Container Store brand (begins with a L, ...Luxor?) have some incredibly cool options. These are components that can be installed by a good handyman. Being able to get things off the counters because there is enough storage or to easily reach for bowl because you can pull the whole shelf forward - that will add hugely to the pleasure of a remodel. I’d also suggest going through every drawer and cabinet and eliminating any the items you aren’t using. Surprisingly, doing that really helps you focus on what is important to you about the kitchen and what you like and don’t like.

I don’t think people understood what you wanted in re the scope of the remodel, but there are some super experienced and talented contributors and you can be specific with questions such as “if I want to replace my counters with quartz and keep the cabinets, what are some good color combos and what are some suggestions for a backsplash?” You will likely get some great ideas.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

DK Haas you are quoting HGTV? That's laughable. Quartz can be scratched and it can be chipped. It also can be stained. And forget high heat.

Why not read through these posts about real people who have quartz countertops and not some HGTV hack. This statement alone is ridiculous: " In fact, quartz is nearly indestructible, and because it isn’t porous like granite, it’s easy to keep your countertops relatively bacteria-free. "

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3179356/found-scratches-on-new-quartz-counter

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2675418/quartz-owners-chipped-edges

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5529859/white-quartz-countertopsturmeric-staining#n=346

Sorry OP. I just hate when people put out false information. I choose granite because I don't like how quartz veins look fake. It's just personal preference and not about one being better than the other. They are both durable options.

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

The mistakes you are making cost so much more than a Kitchen Designer.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

If you want that black counter, then don't go with an "off white" cabinet paint. You want WHITE. And forget that gray tiny-tile backsplash idea - it will clash with just about everything other than a plain white counter. And those little tiles are just really busy and often dated-looking.

FWIW, I like that black slab in your OP. I actually have quartz in my own kitchen and have had zero issues with it. It a great material and easily cared for. Quartzite can be stunning, but you'll spend half your lifetime trying to make sure that you are getting true quartz and not dolomite (tons of threads here). There are certainly some granites in existence that don't follow that busy/spotty look that is so dated, but even though I see them online, I have never seen a granite in person that I liked - so I get that you don't find them appealing. From what I have read, the really nice granites cost an arm and a leg too, so there is that to consider.

Get your counter picked out (I think that black is stunning) and then choose your cabinet paint to work with it. AFTER the counters are in - THEN PICK a backsplash. NOT before. The gray floor will work fine with black counter OR white...I would not worry about that.

• User
    4 years ago

You can probably find a good designer who you can pay by the hour for her advice. It’s invaluable. I did that for the finishing touches on our kitchen remodel like lighting, paint color, as well as powder bathroom selections.

Stacey Silver thanked User
  • My House
    4 years ago

CONSUMER REPORTS- (direct quote)

Quartz vs.Granite Which Countertop Material Is Better?

Winner?

Quartz. It’s easier to trim to size and a fighter when it comes to color stains, it looks good, and it could make potential buyers happy—and it garners a slightly higher score overall in CR’s tests. Rock on.

https://www.consumerreports.org/kitchen-countertops/quartz-vs-granite-kitchen-countertop-which-material-is-better/

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

Sorry DK Haas. I don't trust Consumer Reports either. For me I go by real user experiences. Guess you fail to address the links I posted of real users who have had problems with their quartz.

You said in a previous post that granite is less durable. Even the consumer reports said quartz is only less stain resistant by 2.3 points out of 100. And depending on what stone they tested that number would be 0 points with some granites.

Also can quartz be used in outdoor applications? I think not.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

" real users who have had problems with their quartz. "

I'm not saying anyone should get quartz over anything else. But I assure you that there are tons of complaints to be found online, of every single countertop material - granite included. There is no one best material - they each have pros and cons. People need to decide for themselves.

As for me, I had good 'ol formica counters for 25 years. Not a stain to be found on them when I finally replaced them. My quartz has been great - no issues. But my sister got granite that initially neither of us loved (too spotty), but after the kitchen was finished we actually thought it looked great. She is very happy with them. I have a friend that just had to have marble...and she has lots of etching and so forth - but the marble makes her happy.

It's great that we have so many choices.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

Chessie. I agree wth you. I was just addressing DK Haas saying granite is not durable which is not true. If people are going to decide for themselves it would be nice if they had correct information.

• My House
    4 years ago

Vinmarks- Consumer Reports tested the materials and gave Quartz a higher score than granite- 2.3 points HIGHER than granite in the stain resistance category. Love your granite until the cows come home, but know that other people don't share your enthusiasm.

An acronym ABG Anything But Granite has been established, according to Realtor.com

LOL

https://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/how-homeowners-feel-kitchen-counter-tops/

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Agree that quartz is better as far as stains. But with granite you have better heat resistance, although really, the crystals in some granite can pop - it's best to use trivets, always.

• Miranda33
    4 years ago

DK Haas is one of the posters we see on here occasionally who cannot take disagreement. No way, no how. You could have all kinds of arguments from here to the ends of the earth, but if DK Haas believes otherwise, s/he will not hear what you have to say.

I'd give up trying to reason with DK Haas. Others here have tried to reason with him/her and failed. Let's move on, and not engage any more with DK Haas.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

DK Haas. No one said granite is the end all be all. In my posts I stated they are both good products and make durable countertops. You are the one who indicated that granite was not durable and that quartz is indestructible. You are putting out false information.

I think I'm done here.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Personally, I don’t like the grey floors, definitely not with maple cabs, the grey floors look cheap and commercial, to my eyes and is a look that has been done to death. I think our tastes must be very different as I also really do not like glossy black kitchen counters, hopefully you have tons of natural light in your kitchen or really good under cabinet lighting.

• My House
    4 years ago

Vinmarks- Not once have I said Quartz is indestructable. I'm not going to defend your statement as it is a falsehood.

I've provided you with numerous sources and direct quotes from articles which conclude Quartz is superior to Granite in terms of porosity, durability, and stain resistance, not to mention preference: : Houzz survey, Consumer Reports, HGTV direct comparisons , and Realtor.com home buyer preferences.

FYI- America's Test Kitchen's test kitchens have (you guessed it)

Quartz- by Caeserstone. Lol. These kitchens are abused daily by their chefs in search of "the best" recipes. https://www.caesarstoneus.com/about-us/information-inspiration/caesarstone-color-surfaces/caesarstone-featured-in-the-new-america-s-test-kitchen-hq/

Miranda, FYI a discussion is not an argument. You're mistaken I've not argued with anyone here. I don't need to prove a negative fact , as it doesn't exist. Please take your Mean Girls Antifa gang tactics elsewhere, as you've not contributed to nor addressed the OP.'S design dilemma. Read above and you'll see the discussion BEGAN when another (MMiller) challenged the OP statement:"Please not granite. I feel it is dated."and then proceeded to insult her choice of flooring." If you choose to engage in a discussion, please be factual.,

• J Williams
    4 years ago

http://beckiowens.com/design-trend-2019-black-kitchen-countertops/

Here are some black counter ex.s, the one in the middle looks similar to your choice, and is partnered with white cabs, light natural wood floors and white walls/backsplash which happens to be brick, but you will notice they also have a huge window and it appears to be a loft like space.

• My House
    4 years ago

Stacy, is this space open concept? Are there other elements to consider, like wall color, and furnishings which will remain? Pics would help.

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The space is an open concept, yes. Sorry for delaying my response I've been on Vacation and haven't got anything done!

What should I do??!!!

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will be using the black slab from verona quartz for sure though!

• Stacey Silver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I want this to a a DIY project, So no Designer!!

You are more than enough of a great help!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i love that verona quartz. post a pic of the space, your cabinets, flooring, etc.

• Alisa
    4 years ago

you never stated conclusively what was staying and what wasn't staying before. it's really hard to help without that info.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Before you DO anything, do what groveraxle suggested back in June.....look at maple kitchen pictures on Houzz and collect an ideabook of ten or twelve of your favorite pictures. Then develop a PLAN of colors and finishes for your kitchen. Don’t just pick one thing at a time..... each item must be compatible with the other item/color/finishes.

• Alisa
    4 years ago

yup. it takes research lots and lots of research and a clear idea of what you want. people here can be very helpful, but generally when YOU already have a clear idea. if you don't you're just going to get buffeted around by good idea after good idea. you are the one who will have to live with it. if there is a particular element you are in love with search houzz for that element in photos and see what other people have done. also look for color schemes. color schemes that are wrong can hoark your happy place. :) have you shown a picture of what is staying in your kitchen? that's the first place to start. you have to work with what you have and I don't think we have a clear idea of what your starting point is.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

The truth is both surfaces will suffice, whatever you like. But looks like the trend is quartz and white/ gray colors. I rarely see anything different for new builds and remodeling projects. Also I don’t see the trend to go with more wild and contrast countertops. I still cannot decide what to do with my kitchen countertops. I have natural maple cabinets and granite tiles which are holding well but I don’t like tiles and speckled pattern. I invited two designers and guess what -the least they want me to paint cabinets white and place no pattern whitish quartz. I hated white and gray when beige/ brown was trend, I still don’t like it. I hope you find the right combination and I hope the designers will give you advice because this pattern is very bold.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Just to clarify: you are painting the existing cabinets in some shade of white? And you clearly love one of the countertop materials.
    Please take Beth’s advice and go with a white that complements the veining. If you go “creamy” the cabinets will look dirty.
    Hold off on the backsplash until all these other elements are done.

• Pia Lehman
    4 years ago

Stacy, I hear what you’re saying about not using a designer. I tried to do the same and deeply regretted it. You are spending a ton of money on this kitchen and there is so much to know about kitchen design that you don’t. After my mistake, I had a designer come over for ONE hour - it cost me legit 200 dollars for me to get her professional opinion and avoid some super costly design catastrophes. It will definitely cost you a bit more as you are doing an entire kitchen overhaul but it is so so worth the money.

• Sibylle
    4 years ago

Here is (part of) my kitchen w/ maple cabinets and light gray quartz countertops and a glass backsplash - we chose stainless appliances w/ black and an anthrazit blanco sink, you can incorporate black and maple but a black counter shows EVERYTHING - in the end it is what YOU like. best of Luck!