SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

OMG! Star of the Republic!!!

I thought I was buying Spirit of Freedom, but am now glad for the mistake! This morning I came across an old post of pretty petals on this rose and dashed out to see my bud when I came home. Can we just say "Wow"!!! Amazing bloom with exquisite fruity fragrance reminding me of Lychee. Luscious. I'm planting it in my front yard that is Cinco de Mayo and lilac colours. It looks fantastic with CdM, although it won't really be close to it at all. Love this rose. Please everyone that grows it comment and add your own pictures. I'd especially like to hear from those who've had it for a while. Thanks all! : ))

Comments (109)

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

Not my hmf is not utd. I need to do that, soon! Anywho I can't seem to message you, do you have my email?

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Alana8aSC
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you Stephanie. We are depending on you as the first person to see blooms this year! Alana I'll see if I can message you. I'm going for a run now so it won't be until I get back.

• Related Discussions

Mier y Teran and Star of the Republic

Q

Comments (8)
    The test that I want these roses to pass is do they bloom continuously spring through fall. Star of the Republic is the only rose in my garden that hasn't really bloomed this spring. There are 3 blooms right now and this is a really big plant. The plant is so big that I'm already thinking that I need to move it ASAP. And for a big shrub not to bloom is scary. Not to mention I didn't see it bloom last year. And now that I think of it, this rose was planted the fall before last, not last fall. So that makes a year and a half with almost no blooms. I'll continue to hold out hope, but this rose will have to show improvement this year if I'm going to keep it. Caroline Hairston is just a baby so no complaints yet. But of all the babies that were planted this spring, almost all of them had a spring flush, and this one didn't. Just one bloom. The only way I'm going to buy any more of these ARE introductions is if I am at ARE in August and see them blooming really hard during the heat of the summer. No more picture seduction!
    ...See More

Star of the Republic

Q

Comments (84)
    Sorry, ac91z6, I just saw your question. Mine made it through this past harsh winter and experienced very little cane loss. Many of my roses died back to the ground (not usual here) but this one did great. It blooms well but I wish it would focus more on growing - it’s taking it’s time :)
    ...See More

My star of the republic has finally bloomed!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Wow that is so beautiful!! Hope to hear good things about it this summer ! I have lots of fence line I can expand my climbers next year . Does it smell good ?
    ...See More

STAR OF THE REPUBLIC as a cut flower?

Q

Comments (3)
    Many young own root roses nod their blooms until the canes grow and stiffen up. The repeat bloom reports on the old gardenweb posts are inconsistent. Some say poor, others okay. I will be satisfied with a good spring and fall showing. Don't care much about the hot summer months because the only time I'm in the garden is when I'm working (summers in my area are horrid - hot and humid). I'm going to be comparing SotR to Evelyn. If it fails to measure up after three years then I'll just rip it out, chop the carcass into mulch, and put in something else.
    ...See More
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

my 18mo old SotR bloomed! The whole bush is a bit scraggly, but here she is In all her glory.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    3 years ago

Gorgeous, Stephanie! Mine just bloomed, too, and is kind of leggy/scraggly too. (it’s only about a year old.) Wondering how it does with pruning early on? I think mine needs some shaping up. 😊

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Those are beautiful! Mine has a lot of buds so you are making me very anxious!

Original Author
    3 years ago

Mine is growing very prone at the moment. So maybe I should have prunes more! I don't like to print things when they're small though so I'll just let it grow as it likes until next year. Anyway here are two gorgeous blooms. The first one.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Mine is starting bloom here too, Vapor, and is a low plant so far. I'll try a photo this weekend too.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

What a gorgeous rose, vapor. I love the color. You're probably right to let it be until next year, though you can observe how she does this season, and do a little trimming if needed. What do you mean about having prunes more? I should more of them, too, at times--ha. Diane

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Diane Brakefield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's hilarious, Diane! But truth be known, I do love prunes or dried plums as they say today.😁

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Stephanie - the blooms are amazing!!!! Soooo beautiful!!!

Vaporvac - sooo beautiful!!! Oh my!!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked rosecanadian
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn
    3 years ago

Stephanie and Vaporvac- You can't ask for anything prettier than those! I hope you'll keep showing us how this rose progresses.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
    3 years ago

Mine grows sideways too! At the end of its first year it had about 4 canes 5 feet long straight out along the ground. I pruned her to 2ft with the bud eye at the ends facing up to encourage upwards growth. She is a thin plant, not bushy. It will be interesting to see how her growth habit develops and if I can continue to encourage upward growth. My goal along this section of fence is to have large rose bushes 6-9 feet tall that are self supporting. So I have Rosette Delizy, Monsieur Tillier and Star of the Republic. Then further down where I don’t care about height I have Paul Neyron (height controlled with pegging as a byproduct of encouraging blooms), Reine de Violettes and Lyda Rose.

Original Author
    3 years ago

That's a great idea.When I these flowers fade, I'll do just that. I don't mind her being short, but I prefer to see her flowers. The canes are stiff and supportive holding the flowers well, so there's hope for vertical growth! Stephanie, those combos sound delicious! Don't be shy to post pics as they develop. I love "action" shots.

3 years ago

Here mine is finally. Low plant, very healthy looking foliage. I have a total dozen buds this Spring. It is too close to a tree.

I wish it would grow up the tree.

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

I love all the photos of SotR, and I am thrilled that so many of you are growing Mike Shoup's rose! He holds a special place in my heart as I grew up in TX, and ARE was there for my indoctrination into antique roses. The Rose Rustlers are still my heroes! I grow and adore Basye's Purple, but if I were to choose one more Texas rose, SotR would be it. The froth of multifaceted peachy-apricot blooms reminds me of Marianne or Gloire de Dijon, which are two of my favorite roses. I wish I could smell the scent of SotR. It sounds heavenly! Carol

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Lovely photos everyone. I was too busy this winter to order roses and StoR was sold out when I tried to buy it in spring. I will try next year.

Do you guys thibk this could be trained horizontally along a low fence?

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

It looks like a natural for that, Totoro.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Just thought I'd give an update. I'll have to see if I have any bush shots because that's been one of the more interesting facets of this rose besides her fantastic blooming ability. She if always blooming through cold, rain heat sun.

In terms of her habit, I'm guessing she will exhibit two phases: a juvenile phase with small lithe canes with small thorns underneath the leaves, and a more mature phase where her canes thicken substantially shooting upright with perhaps one thorn on the entire cane. I say this as she grew one strong upright cane during her first flush and has now grown another with a third coming along. These bloomed at tip with many long-lasting flowers and continued blooming down the stem after dead-heading. She continues blooming on the prone canes at the same time so her shape at the moment is a bit divided.Despite this odd habit, I'm pleased with her and suspect she'll fill out as she leaps next year. She is average to good on BS, but I have not given her much care beyond spring fertilizing and dead-heading. We have a lot of rain and she's in clay soil on an incline, but I don't think she's a water hog since she's continued blooming while others are resting or just putting out new leaves.

I will try out cutting on this next cycle.

Brazos Belle, on the other hand has not yet given an indication of blooming in her first year, although she has clean foliage and pert neat shape, and Caroline Hunt is a dud in her second year. These are the only Pioneer roses I'm growing.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Here she is prone and upright.

here you can see the upright cane developing

I forgot to take pictures after I pruned this cane. She sent out new flowers all along it's length. Please click to see clearly and in full.

3 years ago

Vapor, just fantastic! My SotR is still at the prone stage. In it's defense it does not see sun until afternoon and is planted next to a tree. I did give a fish/kelp treatment today and m hoping for a miracle.

Original Author
    3 years ago

For how long have you had yours again? This one full sun.

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Wow, thank you for the update. I just ordered her along with Gypsy Sue and Fragrant Blush for October shipping. I was enabled by you and the comments that she was continuing to bloom during the summer. Hope she do the same in my hot-dry heat.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Vapor, mine has to be at least 3 years old. I have a Buff Beauty that took a while and finally put up longer canes last year. Of course, a new basal got eaten by a critter this Spring and hasn't made another. What our poor roses go through.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is her latest bud. She has rested as I have not watered these roses at all during our month of no rain. My bad. However despite that there are many many many blooms developing and a couple more tall basals grew over the summer. Someone mentioned this Rose could be grown as a climber of sorts and I am thinking of moving mine to my metal fence since she is low thorn and will look good with the Roses currently there. She is still a winner.

Please click for detail.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Vaporvac - What a gorgeous rose!!! The color is fascinating!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Gorgeous rose, Vapor. Diane

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Diane Brakefield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So many flowers and their beautiful! The fragrances gorgeous! Unfortunately with our strong rain and winds a large lateral broke off so I'm going to try and root that. I was unsuccessful with my routing early earlier this year. As soon as they finish I'm going to move her to the fence because I think this is a better place. They are very strong upright canes as well as smaller ones.

They are quite Large flowers. Click to see detail.

3 years ago

Mine here is too close to a tree and needs to move too. The flowers are gorgeous.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Vaporvac - I love your rose!!! :) :)

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

How is the disease resistance, especially blackspot? Thanks!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    3 years ago

It gets blackspot in humid 7a Maryland. Often 90% humidity here in the morning.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
    3 years ago

My SotR got a touch of rust early in the Spring when we had a lot of marine layer in the mornings, but it was minor and I don’t see any now. Zero mildew. Black spot is something I never see on roses around here so I can’t comment on that.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Tony Kopari Z4b So MN
  • Tony Kopari Z4b So MN
    3 years ago

Vaporvac - you know I'm going to ask you for cuttings of this beauty!

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Tony Kopari Z4b So MN
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My Star of the Republic just started blooming. It blooms late compared to many of my roses, but interestingly at the exact same time as James Galway. Actually there are quite a few similarities between those two roses. Both have similar bloom shape and slightly leggy growth habit. both bloom somewhat sparsely on the bush compared to some other roses. My SotR has slight mildew this year and so does JG. Neither had it last year, but this year has been particularly bad for all the roses in my yard. I haven’t done anything for the powdery mildew.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Wow!!! That's wonderful!!! Those blooms are seriously beautiful!!

Original Author
    2 years ago

So pretty, Stephanie. Mine blooms at a "normal" time, But has a similar growth habit. I made the best of it by moving It to my metal front fence. This rose has beautiful blooms And yours also has wonderful foliage! I have a great picture on my phone. I'll try to remember to post it later.OMG! My memory is so low I cant post pics!

Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures from this year. It does seem to bloom all the time. It's not full of leaves as it has sort of a lanky growth habit but it suits the fence where I have moved it.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

What a unique bloom, Vaporvac!!! It's EXQUISITE!!! Oh my!!!

Original Author
    2 years ago

They are always that beautiful in different ways. Sometimes they have a very quartered look.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I would love to be able to get that rose!! SWOON!

2 years ago

This rose is absolutely beautiful. Mine has moved out from under a tree and is happier.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    2 years ago

When mine bloomed this last week, I was surprised at how full and heavy the blooms are. Love the fragrance. It only had three buds, but more are already coming on. So far, no disease problems. If the plant fills out into a decent bush, this is going to be one of my very favorites.

John

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Oh, I wish I could get it!!!

John - I hope yours fills out and becomes the rose of your dreams. :)

• Summer Moon Garden
    last month

Star of the Republic truly is a beautiful rose!! im obsessed! I think I need a couple more.😆

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Summer Moon Garden
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month
    last modified: last month

Summer Moon, that is gorgeous!

How big does this rose get for you?

I need roses that will get large here on my farm due to all the critters.

~Sjn

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Summer Moon Garden
    last month

Star of the Republic is new for me-this pic was my very first bloom-so i cant tell you how big it will be cause ive only had it one year. here are some roses that do get absolutely huge for me- Summer Romance and Cinderella Fairy Tale. they are absolute beasts and i have to prune regularly to keep them from growing into my driveway. you can see videos of all my roses on youtube! https://youtube.com/@summermoongarden?si=rjrqmq30zjUfq--e

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month

Hi, thanks for the info! I am in love with Cinderella Fairy Tale. I have been eyeing her for awhile.

I do have Summer Romance and you are correct. She is a beast. She climbed 15ft up a dwarf mulberry tree at our old farm. When I dug her up to move her here, she had some canes that were big around as broomsticks lol.

I hacked off most her roots and shoved her in a pot. She is still awaiting a planting spot in front of our goat pen.

I love when Summer Romance gets all lilac♡♡

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Summer Moon Garden
    last month

Ah i love Summer Romance! one of my favorties!

• rosecanadian
    last month

SummerMoon - yes, that's a beauty for sure!! :) :) And I love your SR! Look at those healthy leaves!!

Sultry - from coral to lilac!!! Mmmmm...I'm with you, I love the lilac the best. :)