Oil tankers attacked in Gulf of Oman, amid rising US - Iran tensions

Sofia

Trump wants a war!

Two more oil tankers attacked in Gulf of Oman amid U.S.-Iran tensions

Two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman came under suspected attack early Thursday amid soaring tensions between the United States and Iran in the region.

One ship was adrift and on fire in the strategic waterway, a company spokesman said, and the other suffered damage to its hull. Both crews were evacuated safely.

The U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet in Bahrain said it was was assisting the two ships.

“We are aware of the reported attack on shipping vessels in the Gulf of Oman,” a Navy statement said. “U.S. Naval Forces in the region received two separate distress calls at 6:12 a.m. local (Bahrain) time and a second one at 7:00 a.m. U.S. Navy ships are in the area and are rendering assistance.”

The exact circumstances of the attack were unclear. But the incident took place near the Strait of Hormuz, a flashpoint for tensions between Iran and the United States, which has stepped up its “maximum pressure” campaign to isolate Tehran.

The incident follows similar attacks last month, when four oil tankers were struck with limpet mines, also near the Strait of Hormuz. U.S. officials blamed the operation on Iran, which has denied involvement.

On Thursday, Singapore-based BSM Ship Management said that the crew of the Panama-flagged tanker Kokuka Courageous “abandoned ship after the incident on board which resulted in damage to the ship’s hull starboard side.”

It said one crewman was slightly injured but that the ship was not in danger of sinking and that its cargo of methanol was intact.

The second ship, managed by Norway’s Frontline, was said to be adrift and on fire in the gulf, its spokesman told a Norwegian newspaper.

SaveComment36Like
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrskjun(9)

Trumps attacking oil tankers?

Save    
Sofia

I have no idea, mrskjun. Why don't you follow-up your question and let us know who is attacking them

Save    
tony jelly

Shinzo Abe (Prime Minister of Japan) is in Tehran trying to mediate between Iran and the US over the nuclear deal, some of the goods on those two damaged ships that coincided with this visit, originated in Japan. Perhaps I am just suspicious by nature, but does that sound fishy

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Sofia
leona_2008

What sounds fishy to me is Pompeo declaring Iran is responsible for all these attacks. Somebody wants a war. Who stands to gain from a war with Iran? Not the US. Not the US lives that will be lost. Not the families of those lives lost. Certainly not US coffers. I'm not even blaming trump entirely on this. I suspect a third nation who would benefit from a US war on Iran is behind these attacks.

3 Likes Save    
chijim

Wag the dog?

Save    
chijim

mrskjun(9)

Trumps attacking oil tankers?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bush/Cheney attacked Iraq on phony WMD info

2 Likes Save    
tony jelly

Don't be so coy leona, the main beneficiaries would be Saudi Arabia and Israel and of course weapons manufacturers.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Weapons manufacturers never lose . . .

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

There is also Russia that would benefit from taking over Iran. The previous attack was very strange that Iran was immediately without time for any investigation denounced as the attacker. This time the Japanese Minister was there and the ship that was attacked was carrying oil to Japan. The thought crossed my mind of two things. Was it a warning to Japan if they did not cooperated the vital oil that was needed for the populous would be cut off. Was it a warning to Iran that whoever is behind the attacks will blame them. Given the timing of blame it appears that they were staged and were known about in advance by our and other governments.

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Pompeo even said no one else has the sophisticated means or some such to carry out such attacks. Huh? I don't think it was pure luck that no one was killed, I'll give him that. But hello, Saudi Arabia? Israel? Russia?

(Is that uncoy enough for you, Tony?)

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

chijim

Bush/Cheney attacked Iraq on phony WMD info

Thanks to your savior Robert Mueller:

1 Like Save    
tony jelly

Moving swiftly on....

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I wouldn't put something like this past putin, russian lives on oil/gas and weapon exports, not much else other then exporting political instability. An aggravated oil price spike wouldn't hurt him, do this while trump is still starry-eyed with him and angry at iran.

1 Like Save    
tony jelly

veggie, that works equally with the two countries reversed.

Save    
tony jelly

Pompous Pompeo says that Iran is definitely to blame, which means that Iran is definitely not to blame. This is the same lying scenario that got us embroiled in Iraq, The message is clear, we are looking for our Reichstag Fire here folks, bear with us and we will bomb, bomb Iran.

5 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Israel sure does cost us a lot.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Wayne Fuller, from Concord, NH, wrote this in response to Pompeo's claim that Iran attached the oil tankers:

Although Iran has not attacked another country first in over 500 years, all of a sudden they woke up this morning while the Japanese PM was on a peace mission and they said, "Oh let's launch an attack on some Japanese tankers in the Gulf of Oman because we're frustrated." Sorry, this is hard to believe and I wouldn't trust Pompeo or Bolton on anything they claimed about Iran. They've got an itchy trigger finger. I'm old enough to remember the Gulf of Tonkin incident. The supposed grave threat from the tiny island of Grenada. The must have invasion in Panama to capture Noriega. I also remember Cheney, Bush, and WMDs. I'm not ready to play Charlie Brown to Bolton and Pompeo's claim that, "this time its for real." Hopefully the regime change we'll see first is here in the US whereby we can put stable and sane people in charge of our foreign policy once again and have a President who actually knows what he's doing. Then we can go back and deal with issues like Iran. Meanwhile, I think skepticism is much called for these days.

7 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
tony jelly

This is the situation in a nutshell: due to its geographical position and how this interferes with pipelines and the free movement through the water Iran's intransigence is a problem. They are looking for protection of their sovereignty that may include a religion we reject but it is not for us to decide: or is it? So the plan is to make them into the bad guys so that we can move in and bring in democracy while we rip off their resources. the best way to achieve this is to make it appear as though they are the aggressor, which they are not.

As a disclaimer: I am totally against Irans human rights record.,

1 Like Save    
tony jelly

From my choice for the Democrat nominee Tulsi Gabbard

Trump's shortsighted foreign policy is bringing us to the brink of war with Iran and allowing Iran to accelerate nuclear program—just to please Saudis and Netanyahu. This is not America first.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Jason Osborne‏Verified account @_JasonOsborneSo John Kerry just left a meeting @ L’Avenue in Paris w/3 Iranians. A friend was sitting next to their table and heard JK blasting @realDonaldTrump. The Iranians had a 5 person security detail and left in diplomatic vehicles. Is he FARA registered?

7:37 AM - 12 May 2018 from Paris, France

https://twitter.com/_JasonOsborne/status/995312025139073026?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E995312025139073026&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthebeltwayreport.com%2F2019%2F06%2Fp304-b%2F

COLLUSION: John Kerry Won't Deny Telling Iran To Wait For A Democratic President

By HANK BERRIEN

September 13, 2018

On Wednesday, appearing on Fox News with Dana Perino, former Secretary of State John Kerry refused to deny that he undermined President Trump when Kerry met with Iranian leaders. When Perino bluntly challenged Kerry by asking whether Kerry had advised the Iranians to wait out President Trump until a Democratic president could be elected who would be more palatable to the Iranians, Kerry tried to deflect by claiming that President Trump had not yet pulled out of the Iran deal when Kerry spoke to the Iranians. Kerry ignored the fact that Trump had given every sign he was going to pull out of the Iran deal.

Perino began, “Let me have you respond to this: There are people in the intelligence community who say that you’ve been telling the Iranians to wait out president trump and the administration and to wait until there’s a Democratic president in 2021. Is that accurate?”

Kerry stated loftily, “I think everybody in the world is sitting around talking about waiting out President Trump. I mean, you’ve got our allies, remarkably, the people we’ve worked with the closest through the years are sitting there saying, ‘What’s next?’”

Perino persisted, “So are the Europeans trying to wait out President Trump to keep the Iran deal in place?

Kerry answered by ripping Trump for his posture toward trade, NATO, and most especially, Kerry’s beloved United Nations: “I don’t know — it’s not Iran deal-specific; it’s with respect to trade; it’s with respect to NATO; (chuckling) with respect to most of the relationships; the U.N., U.N. support; the kinds of things that really make a difference overall to our position in the world.”

Perino commented, “The Trump administration would be frustrated to learn that a former Secretary of State, a former official with the Obama administration (is) advising the Iranians or the Europeans on this, even if it’s contrary to their position.”

Kerry then climbed atop his perennial soapbox:

Let me be crystal clear: When I met with the Iranians, the policy of the United States was still to be in the Iran deal because the president had not decided and not pulled out. Secondly, every former secretary of state continues to meet with foreign leaders, goes to security conferences, goes around the world. We all do that, and we have conversations with people about the state of affairs in the world in order to understand them. We don’t negotiate. We are not involved in interfering with policy, but we certainly have reasonable discussions about nuclear weapons, the world, China, different policies.

As Allahpundit at HotAir points out, Kerry has tried to undermine Trump before:

He’s been accused of this before, with a different set of diplomats — the Palestinians. During the conversation, according to the report, Kerry asked [Hussein] Agha to convey a message to [Mahmoud] Abbas and ask him to “hold on and be strong.” Tell him, he told Agha, “that he should stay strong in his spirit and play for time, that he will not break and will not yield to President Trump’s demands.” According to Kerry, Trump will not remain in office for a long time. It was reported that within a year there was a good chance that Trump would not be in the White House … He asked Abbas, through Agha, not to attack the U.S. or the Trump administration, but to concentrate on personal attacks on Trump himself, whom Kerry says is solely and directly responsible for the situation.

Save    
maifleur01

If I was a country that currently had dealings with the person that is currently in the white house and his minions I would be waiting until that person was no longer in a position that could turn on my country if his tv handlers told him that my country should be attacked.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Biden wishful thinking?

Save    
leona_2008

A concerned US citizen who doesn't want another unnecessary war. In other words a true patriot.

ETA: To be clear, I'm referring to John Kerry.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Lurch has his coming.

Save    
tony jelly

Pompeo and Trump believe absolutely, sans evidence, that Iran is responsible for the attacks, this is dangerous, Kerry and every thinking person should be worried about Trump.

There is footage of Iran's revolutionary guard removing a limpet mine from one of the tankers, Pompeo immediately assumes that they put it and others there. Crew members say that the damage was caused by a 'flying object' which a limpet mine surely isn't.

In the upside down world we live in, someone working to prevent conflict has less credibility than people whose express purpose is to cause conflict.

1 Like Save    
heri _ cles

Pompeo's breathless presentations do nothing but arouse further concerns about the stability and motivations of Trump and his national security team.

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

The captain of one of the oil tankers attacked in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday disputed part of the United States' account of the attack on Friday.

“Our crew said that the ship was attacked by a flying object,” said Yutaka Katada, the president of ship operator Kokuka Sangyo.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday blamed Iran for the attacks in the Gulf of Oman on the Kokuka Courageous and the Norwegian-owned MT Front Altair.

The U.S. military released a video later Thursday that it says shows Iran's Revolutionary Guard removing a mine from a targeted oil tanker.

Katada, citing accounts from the ship’s crew, said: “I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship," according to The New York Times.

Iran on Friday pushed back on U.S. claims about Tehran's role in the attacks, calling the accusation “the simplest and the most convenient way for Pompeo and other U.S. officials.”

The attack comes weeks after alleged sabotage attacks against four oil tankers off the coast of the United Arab Emirates. The United States similarly blamed those attacks on Iran, pointing to limpet mines that officials said were Iranian.

Iran also denied involvement in those attacks.

President Trump's critics have accused the administration of escalating tension with Iran itself. In addition to withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal, the administration has ramped up sanctions and designated the Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization.

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

So we are to believe that that was an Iranian boat just because trump said so? Are they still counting trump's lies? Or did they stop at 10,000 lies?

2 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

3 Likes Save    
Jess(10)

Transcript of Mueller testimony 2003

Trump attack unleashes oppo against Mueller

When President Donald Trump lashed out against Robert Mueller by name earlier this month, the president’s supporters sprang into action — treating the chief Russia investigator to political campaign-style opposition research.

Within hours, the Drudge Report featured a story blaming Mueller, the special counsel leading the Justice Department’s Russia probe, for the FBI’s clumsy investigation into the 2001 anthrax attacks when Mueller ran the bureau. The independent pro-Trump journalist Sara Carter posted a story charging that Mueller, as a federal prosecutor in Boston in the mid-1980s, had covered up the FBI’s dealings with the Mafia informant Whitey Bulger. Carter was soon discussing her findings in prime time with Fox News host Sean Hannity.

Meanwhile, Trump supporters on Twitter circulated video of testimony Mueller gave to Congress ahead of the 2003 Iraq War in which he endorsed the view, later proved false, that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

Well done, catkin

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

It's unfortunate that we have, at this time, a hawk at the helm, e.g. Bolton. Republicans have always claimed that war is good for business interests. I wonder if Bibi is grinning and rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of any excuse to attack Iran along with his best ally....

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

What a disfunctional country we have. Sad. What would you think if all of this was occuring within the context of a family organization. We would want to send them all immediately into therapy. So much pent up anger, and no one will take the first step to make it better.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

I guess the fear of Mexicans crossing the border is starting to wear off.

He needs a new boogie man and a war with Iran would fit the bill.

Fear, fear, fear.

3 Likes Save    
tony jelly

We now have definitive proof that it was Iran what dun it

2 Likes Save    
maifleur01

I found it interesting that the missile that was shot was aimed at a US drone. Nothing that I have seen has mentioned where the drone was. If it was encroaching on Iranian territory Iran had every right to try to shoot it down. The boat was useful collateral damage for Trump, etal. to ramp up the idea of war. A war could cause all kinds of tightening of what US citizens can do and say.

Save