SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gargigg

coffee table ottoman quandary

Gcubed
4 years ago

I am debating buying a second matching ottoman to create a more rectangular “coffee table”
The space is not too wide and the recliner, when extended, would be very close to the edge of 2nd ottoman/cube.
I’d buy another one of the cubes (20”x20”). I like having the tray on top and one set of feet can squeeze on the edge if needed, but you have to be careful (or move the tray).
Sofa, recliner, rug, cube ottoman are new and will stay, the little gray ottoman is re-locatable.
(My husband also likes the amount of light the floor light provides, as there are no ceiling lights, so that will not be currently replaced by a table lamp. I will fight that battle down the road :).

Comments (52)

• housegal200
    4 years ago

What about a long, rectangular acrylic waterfall coffee table and put the poufs underneath? This photo shows a glass table, but if you have children, the acrylic waterfall table's curves and finish are great. They come in all price points with some good, new ones on Ebay in all sizes.

This one from Wayfair is $306. Just measure to make sure the poufs fit below the table;

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the acrylic table idea! Will look into this

• Related Discussions

What do I do for ottomans/coffee table(s) in this living room?

Q

Comments (5)
    Actually, it's your sofa on the left facing the chairs and possibly the love seat that need a table. The sofa facing the love seat has tables on each side therefore one in front isn't really necessary. You could take the table from your last layout, rotate it and place it closer to the sofa facing the chairs. Place a small table (very small) or garden stool to the right of the love seat for that person to place a drink on. Another option would be two storage ottomans that can be moved around depending on where someone is sitting. If the tops are firm enough a glass can be set on them when your feet aren't!! ;)
    ...See More

Coffee Table vs. Ottoman

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi No Thanks- Whether or not one puts their feet up seems to depend on well, whether they feel comfortable doing so, not the particular piece of furniture in front of them because if there’s a will there’s a way. Seriously though, if you (or your significant other) always want to put up your feet, then an ottoman is in order. Unless it is only one of that wants to do that and then you can have a comfy chair with a footstool. @ nhb22- Love your ottoman! Where did you get it? How large is it? What type of leather is it?
    ...See More

What brands still make high quality coffee tables and ottomans?

Q

Comments (20)
    @M Riz no to amish! Biggest supplier of puppy mill dogs. Also they are not entirely truthful re furniture. Years ago before I was aware of puppy mills we purchased what we thought was an amish built swing to later find out it was amish "assembled". Swing kit purchased from a big box store and they put together.
    ...See More

coffee table/ottoman

Q

Comments (1)
    What's the origin of the photo?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Hi. I read the items you want to keep and understand.

-Since you want to keep the square ottoman, I would buy 2

-Know that these 2 square ottomans will dictate the rest of the space as long as you have them: nothing wrong with that, as long as you accept that going in.

-So, the pillows: you can keep the red leopard and the striped one. I would eliminate these 2

The second striped one needs to be refilled. It is sagging.

I would also get a less busy piece of art......with some navy, but not so heavy and busy.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks CDR. The 2nd striped one has the wrong insert size, just haven’t gotten around to buy another. I have another spot for the other square one.
    I do like the style and colors of the cube ottoman. Will think about getting another. I liked the acrylic overlying table but I think the cubes are too tall.
    The art piece/photo above the sofa was a $$$ piece my husband bought years ago in London. Unfortunately can’t part with it and don’t really have another place for it. We have a big blank space of wall just to the right of it (grind blue chair) onto which I’d like to find an awesome huge piece of art. But that will come with time.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks CDR. The 2nd striped one has the wrong insert size, just haven’t gotten around to buy another. I have another spot for the other square one.
    I do like the style and colors of the cube ottoman. Will think about getting another. I liked the acrylic overlying table but I think the cubes are too tall.
    The art piece/photo above the sofa was a $$$ piece my husband bought years ago in London. Unfortunately can’t part with it and don’t really have another place for it. We have a big blank space of wall just to the right of it (grind blue chair) onto which I’d like to find an awesome huge piece of art. But that will come with time.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Okay......we are making some progress! Could you please take a photo with the busy pillows removed. Thanks.

Also, could you please post photos of the other angles of the room?

Finally, can we talk about this? Not looking good. What is the purpose of it? Would you consider an alternative? I see a ball on the floor. I am guessing a pet or a child?

• User
    4 years ago

I really like the idea of a coffee table over the ottomans, too. Why not do that? I get that you already have the cube ottoman that you want to keep, but solid ottomans would be so much better here...

I think you've got a really good start. I love your artwork and a great choice with the recliner (I love blue)...

I don't find the throws, etc. to be offensive! Gosh this isn't a magazine layout you're attempting right? I have the same kinds of things around (2 dogs).

Also, I LOVE your floors. Parquet doesn't get too much love over here, but I think they're fantastic!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Sofas with chaises do better with round coffee tables/ottomans than square. My eye goes right to that square ottoman. It really dominates the space. Any way you'd consider putting it in another room?

Mitchell House- Renovation / Addition · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First, i apologize for the repeat posts!

I’m heading out of town so will have to post pillow changes when I return.
    My kids curl up on the chaise with the throw so I like having one. I have a plush solid red or ivory one I can switch out. Or could consider setting a basket on the side (in front of plant) and store them there. The chaise part has storage under it too (in which I have more throws).
    We live in a small apartment so not many places to stash the ottoman- and I do like it. I did find an acrylic table that fits over 2 of the square ottomans However, we don’t really use the ottomans for sitting, more to prop our feet so I’m starting to think getting the acrylic one is a waste. We would rarely pull out the ottomans to sit. No need to spend money just to spend it!
    I’d like to work around the cube ottoman- either leave it alone or get another.
    This is a new color palette for me so I’d like to stick with it: gray >blue>red. All my trim is white (including the built ins)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There's an awful lot going on in this room. Let me suggest getting a plain blue pouf instead, and editing the pillows and throw.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m going to remove the 2 pillows. I can put the throws in a basket in front of the plant (they do get used a lot Day to day) such that they will be out of sight.
    The gray pouf I’ll put aside as well. Not a problem.
    I will have to work around the cube one- i do love it. Maybe taking the pillows/throws out will make it look less busy.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Yes, please remove throw and remove the 2 other pillows I suggested. It will look a lot better. You are doing great!

I do like the ottoman, but it will forever dictate any other choices. Just keep that in mind. As long as you are okay with that.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should have known better than to post as I was heading out of town! So please be patient- I’ll get it done!
    This is our 1st owned home so I am at a stage where I know what I want- at least for the foreseeable future. And we are not moving for years, if ever. So ottoman stays :)
    But stick with one, right?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Lots of patterns that are not complimentary IMO I would place the floor lamp away from the window to an area where the light is needed.

I would use a multi purpose coffee table instead of the ottomans.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Oh, you are doing fine! Take your time.

Yes, I think it would be better to have 2 of the ottomans. I totally hear what you are saying......you don't use a table + it would be too high. The art stays.

What I would do is actually repeat the pattern in the ottoman. Something like 2 of these instead of the striped pillows. Keep the red leopard one.

Get a textured throw for the end of the chaise.

Bungalow Rose Bulger Diamond Print Throw Pillow & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

I like the round and square foot rests that you currently have. The textures and patterns look nice together, each brings in a different part of the room. It looks like a skillful mix of patterns that is not easy to pull off but you did.

You say you don't need a coffee table and you mostly use these to prop your feet up on so why not leave well enough alone and keep what you have?

• User
    4 years ago

Yes. Stick with one kind of ottoman, but you really need two of them. Even moving the gray one out of the room will be an improvement...

• petula67
    4 years ago

I like the square ottoman and think you might only need one if you remove the tray with decorative items. As a coffee table substitute with the tray on top, it looks too small. As a simple ottoman just for feet and pattern/texture, it would look fine and it wouldn't clutter up the space. Then, if you swap out the throw you keep on the chaise to a solid, dark color like the recliner, I think your interplay of colors and patterns of your remaining textiles and art would look great.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. The gray ottoman was a place holder for size.
    I thought the tray was nice on the ottoman but maybe I can move it to my built in instead. Maybe I will edit/pare down and re-eval.
    CDR, I recently purchased the larger stripe pillow cover (it is textured and has a hint of red in it which I like). The other one was mistakenly sent but I was told to keep it. Would it be weird to have a non-matching square pillow on the other side of big stripe/leopard pillow? Then I could look for something like you suggested (could I bring in the red or should it be more blue/cream)?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I don't think you need pillows on both sides. I'd just place pillows on the chaise side. Back to front I'd place:striped pillow, pillow I suggested above and leopard pillow. Done.

This would really help the eye from going right toward the diamond ottomans and yes, you need 2 matching ottomans.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And pillows should differ in size I assume? Can you link the pillow you posted? Not sure I love it but will search for similar.
    Right now, I think I’m leaning to get 2nd cube ottoman and move tray? Or leave tray?
    And leave throws in in basket on side if sofa and one in the “bucket” in bottom of side table so recliner user can have one. My kids like to use them !
    Would you add lumbar pillow to recliner or leave it empty too?

These are my tentative plans for when I get home - May take me longer to get ottoman and pillow but will work towards that.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I am not a fan of the tray on the ottoman.

I would not put a pillow on the recliner if it is something that would just be continually moved. It's not something you'd see when you enter the room.

Here you go. You should be able to link on it by clicking, "more info", and then the website on the right hand side, but here it is.

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/bungalow-rose-bulger-diamond-print-throw-pillow-w001341166.html?&experiencetype=1

Here is another you might consider.

https://www.woodstockoutlet.com/blue-ivory-pillow

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just got home today. Quick pillow and tray removal.

• petula67
    4 years ago

Pretty. I can see why you like your ottoman. Love your color scheme.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Looks much better already. Could we please see the other walls in the room? Thanks.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Here is how the pillow I posted above would keep your eye from landing only on the ottoman and carry your style further. Sorry.....art not working well, but maybe we can find another location for it in the space.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the input CDR. I don't like the tassels on the pillows (perhaps a pillow cover without those). The art is staying. I realize the ottoman style is not a perfect blend with the art, but I like both and will keep things neutral enough to make it work for us. It may not end up being a showroom space but oh well :)

Don't have pic of the other walls at the moment, but across from sofa is a traditional built in (bookcases + TV) that is white. Behind the blue recliner is basically empty though I keep a small chair and C-table there for now (both get used).

I will post later.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks. All that matters is that you like the space.

So, you are liking the addition of repeating the diamond pattern in the pillows, sans tassles?

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I like the diamond repeating.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wall opposite sofa.
    And wall behind recliner. The cabinet near the wall has laptop plugged in, so kids often will pull up that chair and use it as a workspace/desk. So having the chair there right now is functional. The C table is moved around everywhere.
    I’d love to get a large scale art piece for the wall... but don’t want to buy just anything.

• User
    4 years ago

Can we get the kids a small table and more comfy chairs for that corner?

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They’re “big” kids - middle/High schoolers. I like that the computer hides away and they can sit there if they want as they usually work in other random spaces (C table pulled near recliner, eg). I don’t need a desk per se. the bookcase works. That chair is actually an extra dining chair!

• User
    4 years ago

Okay well think on a small set...I love a table and arm chairs in the living room...we do puzzles, board games, enjoy a cup of tea, etc...

I think I like a distressed kind of pillow...and maybe kilim on your sofa. These are all World Market

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks for the additional photos. Placing another piece of art above the chair will compete with the art above the sofa. I recommend either nothing or another plant.

A lot of shelves are challenging. There are too many small, unrelated items on the shelves. As usual, if you love how they are decorated, that is all that matters.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I didn’t think about competing art but you may be right.
    Would a console look out of place there? Something small next to a chair - the chair can be used for the computer/bookcase desk as well. Maybe plant o console?
    Or is that too forced? I don’t mind leaving it empty-ish (though I think the chair will be there...).
    We have a LOT of shelves. I’m trying to keep some empty as well. I will curate/edit over time.

I like the middle pillow from World Market but not that shape.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd move the chair over the the "desk" and place 2 plants there of varying heights.

I can't recommend a yellow pillow to replace the striped ones. You need contrast against the sofa.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My kids may think I’m crazy if I get more plants! Very little sunlight there so may be tricky but I like the idea
    I like the design of the WM pillow, not the background color. I need to find an in-between size to create a setting of 3 pillows on that corner I guess. Leave the other end empty? It looks a little plain to me, though when I have flowers in the blue pitcher/vase, it looks better in that corner by the recliner.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Here is a southwestern look, which you are seeming to gravitate to.

Wildon Home® Cyphyr Pillow Cover | Wayfair · More Info

Every space does not need to be filled. A bunch of small items together tend to make a space feel crowded.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I need to keep looking! Honestly, Southwestern is not my style at all but I was drawn to the ottoman! I think it was the right mix of the colors I llove: gray, blue, red. I wish there was something kilim with a modern twist! I actual think I’m more transitional (love the molding and millwork but also straight lines and a clean look with some warmth of textile + subtle animal prints— is that a style?!?!-lol)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

It would be a good idea for you to post rooms here that you like. I do think I know what you mean. You don't have to have a name for your style!

• Christine Hatt-Pyne
    4 years ago

This made me think of a hotel room we stayed in last year in New York. The Ottoman was round and could put a Tray on it or it could be pulled into two pieces so could be separated for people on different ends of the sectional.

It worked great with our family and it was in blue. I was told you could have it custom made where I live for $500 to $750 but ended up finding one at Home Sense that was simpler. Found this picture online and in the other one excuse my family but you can see how the ottoman splits.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love that antelope rug! I actually have a small version in my hallway and that same print on pillows on my bed!

I'll have to snoop around for photos.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thoughts on these pillows?
    I haven’t pulled the trigger to order another ottoman yet... I feel like it may be too crowded. I wonder if I can find a square acrylic table that fits over ottoman that I can also separate out to create a “rectangle” when I need the coffee table space. Just thinking out loud!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I think the diamond one works, but not the ikat one. No matter what you do, the ottoman is going to dominate that room. As much as you love it, I would try to find another room for it.

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't have another room for it. Maybe I will consider "slipcovering" it down the road. Probably cheaper than buying another (or perhaps not!). Though, honestly, I'd probably lean towards an animal print fabric (either the antelope or zebra ones)- so maybe not such a good idea - LOL!

• Gcubed
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update for on going progress: I know many did not like my ottoman style, but I like it and we use it so I have kept it. I switched out sofa pillows with others I already have. Probably need a better insert for the stripe pillow but honestly it’s nice to have a squishy one. I like that the spots/dots of large pillows are mirrored in the photo/art above the sofa. I realize it’s a bit eclectic, but to me it’s cozy and comfy. I’m sure I’ll re-strange many times but I am living with this for a little while.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Glad you like it. I like the ottoman but it does dominate the room.