SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenjackson0905

Which 2 pendant spacing looks best on large island?

Ellen Jackson
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My island is 10 ft (120 inches) long. It is one large piece of marble (no sinks, ranges, etc.) I would like to install 2 pendants, each 17 inches in diameter. I have read several spacing "rules" but I'm not entirely clear whether these are measured from the ceiling or from the base of the fixture. Any advice is appreciated. Should I....

1. Divide the island into thirds (40 inches) and hang the fixtures 40 inches from each side with 40 inches between the TOP of each fixture. Because the fixture is 17 inches wide at the base, the bottom of the fixture would be 31.5 inches from each end, and 23 inches apart in the middle.

2. Divide the island into fourths (30 inches) and hang the fixtures 30 inches from each side with 60 inches between the TOP of each fixture. The bottom of the fixtures would be 21.5 inches from the end of the island and 43 inches apart between the two fixtures.

3. Split into thirds based on the BASE of the pendant. Take the total length of the island (120 inches), subtract the total width of the fixtures (17 in. x 2 = 34 inches) for a total of 86 inches. Divide 86 inches into 3 sections (~28.5 inches). Add the 28.5 inches to the 8.5 inches (1/2 of the width of the pendant), to arrive at 37 inches. Hang the fixtures 37 inches from each end. This leaves 46 inches between the fixtures at the ceiling, 28.5 inches from the end of the fixture (at it's base) to the end of the island, and 29 inches between the base of the two fixtures.

Here is the fixture I'm looking to install:

Thank you!

Comments (12)