SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_baffaro

Deck Stair Design

David Baffaro
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I need help designing the rise and run of my deck stairs. I am building box / platform stairs with each box narrower and shallower than the box it sits on. The deck is 24 inches off the ground and for aesthetics I want the stairs to begin 60 inches away from the lattice of the deck. So I am looking at a total rise of 24 inches with a total run of 60 inches. I am trying to decide between a 4 riser stairway or a 5 riser stairway. The 4 riser stair would be made from 3 boxes each a total of 6 inches high and tread depths of 20 inches. The 5 riser stair would be made from 4 boxes each 4.80 inches high and tread depths of 15 inches.

I was original leaning towards the 4 riser stair. But in doing some research I found that the rule of thumb for deck stair safety is for the tread plus two risers to equal between 24 and 26 inches. The 4 riser stair equals 32 inches in that formula while the 5 riser stair equals 24.60. So based on that rule of thumb formula I have changed to leaning toward the 5 riser stairs.

Thoughts one way or another?

This picture was my original "mock up" of a 4 riser box stair to try and visual it.

This is an general idea of the kinds of stair I am building.

Comments (15)