SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian_hendricks1

Did I choose wrong side of living room to mount TV / add A.V hookups

Brian Hendricks
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, yesterday this community really helped me out with my potential cabinet mistake! Hoping I can get some help with another issue regarding living room design before my contractor installs TV mount and isn't available to remove/patch up outlets we might not need. Context and pictures below but the short story is, I have to choose between these options:

Keep TV on Originally Planned Wall

Pros:

• Created TV-height power outlet and HDMI receptable so no wires are shown between TV and media console (distance will be about 10")
  • Ethernet ports and cable coaxial port are on this wall where entertainment center would go, to place router.
  • Path of least resistance!

Cons:

• To center TV and media console on where couch would be on opposite wall, the TV/console will be really close to our dining table....unless we move dining table to window!
  • Even with swivel TV point, sub-optimal viewing angle if cooking at island or at max seating with people at dining table and on swivel chairs

Move TV to Opposite Wall

Pros:

• Better viewing angles, all seating is in a "U" shape from dining table to couch to extra chairs
  • Can use bigger media console for more storage
  • Now that we're using a soundbar instead of standing speakers

Cons:

• What to do about our TV-height outlets (which are @ 40" high)? Remove and patch up? Keep for flexibility and hide with art?

Below is a diagram of our living/dining/kitchen which is a long but not very wide space. When we started our renovation I had told the contractors to put outlets and the AV hookups on the west wall to mount the tv there. I assumed the tv would look weird on the other wall and wouldn’t have enough room for speakers on either side. We also planned around some furniture we had a year ago and now are getting new stuff.

Long story short: I now am not sure I am making the best use of the space. Problem is I have tv height power outlets and hdmi/speaker hook ups on my east wall. I am willing to lose out on being able to hide wires to maximize space. Should tv be flipped to the other wall or ok as is?

photo of TV height outlets on the West Wall

Comments (5)