SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shanphx

Kitchen remodel layout design advice

shanphx
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you for reviewing our project. Here's our situation.

1913 Craftsman bungalow in downtown Phoenix.

Considerations:

• We’re hoping to get it done for $20K. Unfortunately, we aren’t handy, so DIY saving opportunities are few. Husband is happy with current layout which is doable with our budget. However, I am hoping to add some functionality.
  • We’ll keep current Thermador 36” range, hood and dishwasher. Full size fridge has had a few issues and it currently protrudes from cabinets unattractively.
  • Windows in front and sides may not move as house is historic.
  • We cook 4-5 nights a week and have 3 voracious teenagers. We also host all holidays with approx. 25 people. Parties are usually in backyard, however in poor weather, we’re crammed inside.
  • I would love more storage space as husband has gadget addiction and he is main cook. Now I have no space for pull out garbage. It makes the house look like it’s occupied by college students.
  • We rely heavily on second fridge in laundry room, but I’d prefer to enlarge main fridge and donate the second. I have dreams of decent pantry storage and a place to fold laundry other than the sofa. Cost of large built in fridge may be prohibitively expensive.
  • We use the toaster oven daily. I would like to either contain it in a cabinet or build in a shelf off of the counter.
  • Looks like breakfast room was once covered porch. I suspect the small walls separating kitchen from breakfast room are supporting a good size beam, so they likely need to stay.
  • Breakfast room has trap door to cellar with utilities that is prohibitively expensive to change, so it must remain accessible. It’s flush with floor, our kitchen table sits on it now.
  • Access to crawl space makes changing electric or plumbing relatively easy.
  • Dropped ceiling in kitchen 99” high to accommodate a/c vents. Most of downstairs has 120” ceilings.
  • We’ve considered moving stove perpendicular to current location, but I’m concerned it will feel too tight.
  • Breakfast room door is only access to back yard and a high traffic area.
  • Entry parlor makes suitable formal dining for us as we usually eat in breakfast room. The room has too many openings to serve well for much else.
  • We use the dining room as downstairs living room. There is an upstairs living room but that is teenage romper room. Husband and I are happier avoiding it. Someday we may add family room to back of house. Until then, this works.
  • Floors are maple throughout.
  • I’d love quarter sawn oak cabinets, but don’t want the room to feel too dark. So I’m hoping for dark below and painted uppers.
  • Counters will likely be a white granite. I dream of marble, but my family are orangutans. When I come home from night shifts I regularly find citrus slices and drops of bitters from mocktails on counter. We’ve lived with black granite since 2002. Marble would turn to a rainbow in no time. Husband prefers granite to quartz. Even with granite, he is still worried about staining. I’d appreciate any insight you have regarding staining. In addition, I’m torn between polished and honed.
  • I would like it to feel calm, clean and cool with elements that could look original but updated for modern functionality.

I greatly appreciate any ideas you all can bring to the table. I have really enjoyed reading your sage advice for others. I’ve worked up a few renderings in Floorplanner as it’s the easiest free software I could find. Thanks for your time and creativity!

Current floorplan

Current kitchen close up

Our current plan for remodel:

Here would be a few renderings of new plan

New laundry with space for pantry & folding

Thanks again for your time!

Comments (5)