SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

June 2019 fragrant flowers, let's see them please.

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am not good at naming the particular species but I will try at times)

Comments (89)

• 5 years ago

I saw this rose at a garden center about a month ago, loved the perfect huge white blooms and very fragrant with citrus notes. It’s named ‘Pope John Paul II’ so I figured it’s got to spectacular. The car ride home was wonderfully fragrant, made traffic seem not so bad, lol.
    I have many Dianthus, one of my favorite additions this year is ‘Supertrooper’ in the fourth pic. It’s like orange sherbet with raspberry highlights. :)

• 5 years ago

Nanzjade, you’re going to love PJP2. I had read it doesn’t do much the first year and not to prune too much the first winter, and that was true with mine. The branches seemed weak & the scent was not great. This year, what a difference!

Mike, what’s the name of that honeysuckle?

• Related Discussions

March 2019 Citrus trees, please, let's see them.

Q

Comments (34)
    Remember those pics with my Meyer completely covered with blooms? Well, here's the same tree, this time completely covered with lemons, lol. I have never seen that many lemon buds survive and start plumping up. I mean, i know many are going to fall, but that's still pretty darn impressive. At least to me. I am now watering (and feeding) my trees twice a week. They're still on a 1 tsp of Vinegar/1 seringe of FP each time I water them. By the time I'm done, water is pouring down the pots and half way up the saucer. Then the fun part starts.... Draining it, bleah. I've just done a Neem drench with my last watering, by adding about a Tsp and a half of Neem oil and a few drops of soap to my water/vinegar/FP. Not taking the chance of an infestation less than a month before they go out. Speaking of which, i can't wait to put them out and have my Dining room back! Not much to report on the smaller tree... Had quite a few lemons already, that are steadily getting bigger. I'll be back to comment on everyone's trees, but I have to go take care of mom for now. God bless, . Atheen
    ...See More

Please, let's see your colorful or budded fall 2019 jade plants?

Q

Comments (16)
    Charline, Could be something to the darkness thing. Not saying it is needed, but I think there is something to it. The I pictured above I've had for like 5 years. I may have kept it outside a little longer this year, but what I did do the one night is bring it in my garage, which gets NO light..pitch black. Basically it was very cold one night and I went out late and was lazy and just through it in my garage. Well it stayed in that black garage for like a week. When I went to get it and put it in it's permanent spot in the house for the winter, I noticed the small buds. They def weren't there when it was outside. Could be coincidence, I don't know.
    ...See More

Indoor colors, flowers and plants, please let’s see them, March 2021)

Q

Comments (18)
    I just shot an image of this for another thread for 'cactus care (it's a Thanksgiving Cactus). It's not in bloom, but it's one of my Home Office Friends. A bit bronzed by excess light, slightly south of western window, its friend is a baby tropical hibiscus with a slight cyanobacteria problem at the moment... :-) Oh, it's in 2/3 Miracle Gro Moisture Control and 1/3 sand. Dash of Perlite.
    ...See More

Citrus trees June, 2021, let's see them please!

Q

Comments (40)
    Steve, such a nice set up you have there and I will bet you don't mind fall coming at all knowing they are safe)_ Jan , thanks )) Funny how many things we have in common. Lol. It's amazing actually. I used vinyl on mines so roots can not break through . Ther is also an imperviable liner you can use to prevent that. That has been together for almost 10 years and never a problem. I never have to clean it too. Just a net to catch debris once in a while and a good filter, that is it...I love it MY fish know me well and come to the surface when I speak to them and hover at the top until I had feed them. My frog jumps on too a lily pad once I go back there and sings to me. Eats out of my hand. It's a riot. It talks to me. The neighbors, I hear you..lol I planted trumpet vine years back and it comes up every where and I noticed 5 houses done there too..lol It is very peaceful hearing the sounds of water back there and the sounds of birds. Smells so good since 90 percent of what I planted is fragrant. As lon as you keep the bottom of the pond pebble free or gravel free, so easy to keep clean. I have just a few bigger stones in there so that sweeping a net at the bottom is so easy. Many hugs to you too. Glad you like my citrus tree. I LOVE the color yellows on it. I love that bright yellow branch. You know when your trees are happy when brighter colors have no brown spots on them)) Hugs again and boy, I wonder where Brian is? I hope he is ok.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

Wow Nanzjade, the white rose are beautiful! Lucky you!

• 5 years ago

Ditto. That white rose is very elegant plus it is fragrant. Good haul. Nancy.

This thread is dangerous learned so many new plants that I need (want) :)

• 5 years ago

Nancy, those are outstanding! I love the white rose and you know me, I went out and bought one. Very sweet indeed. Nancy, thank you for getting one of those troopers!)

Maggy, I have no idea, sorry. I don't save my tags and I should. I wish I knew(

Rockdale, you are way too funny. You need more. lol

MIke

• 5 years ago

Agh Mike how could you...now I will never know

• 5 years ago

Maggie, I wish I could send you cuttings> Is that possible?

• 5 years ago

I can finally see your pictures much better on the laptop and what a treat this thread has become!! Thanks Mike for starting it.

Maggie thank you, and for the pruning info too, though honestly I am terrible at remember to prune them until they are a wild mess. ALL of your roses are gorgeous, I love those climbers! Cooper is so cute too, wow he blends right into that planter. I'm another member of the addicted to Magnolias club :) I drove over an hour to a nursery that had some less common ones. I bought 'Jurmag1' black tulip and 'Daybreak'. They do mail order some months of the year, begins again in the Fall. https://www.brokenarrownursery.com

Mike, wow that pink cactus bloom is awesome!!! I'm happy to be of influence that you got the PJPII rose too, it's incredible! That's a pretty rose, the Stanless Steel, is it a light purple? I want a Variegated Butterfly Bush now too, wow, so bright and cheery!

Rockdale, congrats on that Max bloom! I hope to get blooms someday too, in hopes they will smell like coconut.

Thanks Amy! Roadtrips for plants are the best, lol :)

Dave, I love that peach rose! Maybe someday I will get one like it.

• 5 years ago

Came home today to this great cluster opening up.

Maggie, Mike and all others whom love Magnolias....

'Alexandrina' it smell heavenly too!

Now something strange, my 'Elizabeth' has the original root-stalk growing too!

It's SUCH a PRETTY bloom, I can't chop it off. I think it'll be a cool two colored Magnolia :)

-Nancy

• 5 years ago

Mike!! I miss your question about my psychopsis kahilu alba! Forgive me! This thread has become quite the sensation and I was amazed by all the beautiful pictures everytime I come here lolll. Ok, here is a little bit more information about my psychopsis kahili alba. It sits on my kitchen window which is shade by my gazebo. I water it like I do for my phalaenopsis with a little bit of fertilizer here and there ( I don’t pamper it like I do for my citrus). It never stops flowering since I got it (must be more than I year and half) talk about evervlooming loll. This one was chosen by my daughter (I always go to the montreal orchid show together and Inlet her choose one orchid) because the flower looks like a butterfly!

Mike, I just did something quite naught.I repotted my dendrobium andcymbidium with pro mix. They seems to like it so far and hopefully I will get some flower this year!!!

• 5 years ago

Oh no-o-o! I just checked the Select Roses website and they have both Madam Anisette and Dark Desire. The problem is, it is a bit of a long drive and I was just there 2 weeks ago. I was perfectly content with my purchases and now this thread has left me wanting more. Good grief. Maybe I’ll go again in the fall as they have a bare root sale, and I can try to squeeze in another open spot or two. My beds are full!

ps. Mike, thanks for your kind offer. Too bad I live in Canada though

• 5 years ago

Oh Amy don’t tempt me any more than I already am lol your orchid is beautiful! i want to purchase a few as well but for the life of me I can’t find it anywhere online!maybe for the best I have a feeling I’d kill it pretty quickly lol I know I was born with black thumbs

mike thanks so much for the advice its making me brave enough to try lol I will get all the necessary soil and try my luck on a regular orchid and then time to get the beautiful and fragrant ones that y9u and Amy have. I will have to try to find a source though because I can’t find rare orchids like yours in Canada.

maggie it wa a bit of a drive for me too but trust me it’s worth it some of the ones that I just got are blooming now lol I think I might’ve gotten too many I got 5 then the lady at the counter told me that if I got 6 I’d get a 7th rose free so how could I resist! Driving home the smell was out of this world! Thank you again for letting me know about select roses ;)

nancy Steve that’s just beautiful :)

• 5 years ago

Jan, here is a few place in British Columbia where you can find orchids:

fvgardens.com

Charlotte is amazing!!

paramountorchids.com

Never bought from them but they have a lot of varieties!

Steve, this one is for you! My little fukushu fruit!

Mike, here is another psychopsis. This thread inspired me to go look for a few more orchids lolll

Beautiful honeysuckle and I can just imagine the smell with so many flowers! You must have the greener thumb of all of us with so many different species and be successful with all of them!

Nancy, love your magnolias! Do they need a lot of sunshine to flower? My sister in law will give me a few twigs and I plan to root them. I hope it will work!

Thank you everyone to share all those wonderful pictures! Real candy forcthe eyes!

• 5 years ago

Amy, yes Magnolias love full sun, the more the better. Newly planted ones need watering every few days if no rain and during times of drought. (I learned my lesson a couple years ago, top half of that Elizabeth died. All the rain this year has helped it regrow nice and lush.

Peony ‘Sandra Bernhardt’ just started blooming. A few years ago I was weirded out by all the ants but now I have come to accept them, they kind of have a relationship they eat the sugar and little bugs that may eat the peonies. What a sweet deal.

• 5 years ago

Jan, thanks! wow seven roses to plant! Did you have plenty of space? I bet your yard look gorgeous now with all this blooms and smells lovely too.

• 5 years ago

Nancy, wowowow. So very nice. You must love the fragrance in your yard. I know Dianthus is one of your favorites too.

Amy, thank you and wait??? Just how many orchids do you have? How big is that place you have there? I had no idea you had that many. Are you serious? Is that a light room or something? I am very proud of you. That is just an amzing orchid my friend. Thank you.

You repotted a dendrobium and cymbidium with that mix? I think they might be ok. Their roots are quite different. I do have a couple. I like them. I will snap a couple a pics for you. Funny, I go to the orchid shows too. That is where I spend my money. lol. I always come out with a different fragrant one. I love Cattalays..My god, I love those. Thank you for the info I really appreciate and you!! Got your message. You are as kind as they come))

Jan, lol. too funny. You are going to try a few,. With that greenhouse, there is so many possibilities and I can see you watching them every day like I do. Many are so easy to grow and so very fragrant. Wait until you see my very very very fragrant alien one.lol I will sneak some to you. So you like the roses you got? Ha. We knew you would love them. Some just take your breath away. You need to get a 'Dark Desire'!!! I mean that Amy too. Maggie too

The Dark Desire is as potent as they come with what appears to be black buds growing into dark dark red velvety flowers. It's just amazing. I will post mine as soon as it comes to me. This one will get a very special spot for sure.

Maggie, you are so welcome. I can't see why I can't? I have done that before. Oh, and yes, the ride is VERY worth it. That 'dark desire' is something to be desired. They don't last at ant local nursery for long if they get them. Hard to find and most fragrant. Just a power house of a rose))

• 5 years ago

Great blooms everyone. I wish one could post smell with the pics. I gave up on roses after struggling for a couple of years. Potted roses with excess rain and barely 6 hours sun make for a lot of disease and pests and few flowers. I grew Don Juan, Westerland, Bonica and Sunny knockout from bare root, only the latter has fragrance. Maybe Westerland. I have a Sarah Bernhard Peony, second year, no blooms yet. The no name miltoniopsis has a strong fragrance (cloves+?). Neon star dianthus.

• 5 years ago

Mike! The place in my picture is called Le paradis des orchidees and it’s not far from where I live. I just love going there especially in winter when it’s cold outside. When you step inside their greenhouse is like going in another universe. Warm, humid and lot’s of colorful orchids! I can stay all day! In Montreal, we had two orchid shows not long ago but now they stop organizing the fall show because members get old and nobody want to do the job anymore. It’s kind of really sad. Oh Dark desire you said? I am tring to find all the roses you name here but so far no luck. I must find to some specialize nursery!

Nancy, thanks for tips. Lol, Maggie is so right. As we get older, life is too short and our garden is too small! Oh I am dying to add more flowers but I need more space! Oh no!

Jan, loll! where will you put all those beautiful roses? Near your new cedar porch or your greenhouse. Either way, it will be lovely!! I will love to see the pictures ounce you are done planting them. You always has good taste in everything!

oh my god Getgoing! What a lovely miltoniopsis you have there! How long do you have it? I never understand what they really need lol. I think that they like a lot of water and they want temperature in the cooler side? Whatever tou did they seem to love it! Beautiful!

• 5 years ago

Oh abd here is my contribution today!

Neofinetia kibana and neofinatia shutennou

• 5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Amy, I have had it for two years. It has multiplied from 4-5 to 15 pseudo bulbs in that time but had given only one bloom last year. I had 16 this year and really large ones. I like such productive orchids.
  • 5 years ago

Amy, are you kidding me??? No way. I am beginning to think you love orchids too))) I can't believe you have those. Are you growing those in a sunny window too all winter? I am so proud of you! I know how good they smell because I have several. Love this plant. I know exactly what you mean on that! I love to take a trip to Logee's and stay all day in there in the middle of winter. Have you ever seen the Logee's website. My goodness. Ha. So I am with you on that! Seriously, are you kidding me? I can't believe you have those let alone in flower. Proud of you.

Getting, my goodness, you must be in heaven. Beautiful pictures and you are right, they smell so good. Fantastic work and thank you for sharing. Love the Dianthus. They smell so good and that orchid is hard for me to grow, but wow packs a punch.

• 5 years ago

Mike lol! You figure me out! I try to hide my addiction to orchids with citrus lol!!! Mike, what a good idea you have to start this thread. I never realize that I have so many different orchids! I collect them over a long time. Per example, I have the pink neofinetia since 2009! Neofinetias are very resistant! I put them out during summer and I water them every other day or every day when it’s very hot. Then during winter, I put them on a windowsill and I water them once every 3-4 weeks. They usually flower for me when spring comes!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • 5 years ago

Amy, my goodness.... Neofinetias are one of my favorites too. I have about ten of those.lol I love them all. All differnet colors too. So fragrant right? You should place one near where you sit at night. My goodness. lol Yeah, me too. My other passion plants are Hoya, succulents, in particular hard to obtain clorful jades, aloes, and of course orchids. How's the weather your way> It has not been humid here and very cool at night still. BUt no complaining here ha. Wow, I can't believe you have bene collecting them. I am glad you are here showing us what you have. More is better!

Here are a few more taken Saturday. My god. Ok. I’ll try to name a few.

Amy, as a side note: Those Neos are in perfect shape..Do you use tap water to water them all winter? Feed them? Look at those roots. Fans? I need help.lol There are some good you tube videos on how to mount them on spaghnum moss. I watch them and then do it. They must be re mounted on fresh moss at least every 2 years or the inner rots rot and then weaken the plant by surprise.

Very fragrant purple Heliotrope

StanlessSteel very potent sweet rose

Pope John Paul II another one I have, very sweet citrusy and vanilla

Perennial

Sea Rose

Not sure but this one packs a punch

Orchid

Michelia Alba going a very sweet ripened pear, apples and slight vanilla mixed in.

Jasmine growing like crazy fills the yard.

A whie Honey Suckle incredible fragrance, then after grows red berries at the end of summer

Noid but very nutmeggy, vanilla, citrus notes

Whie Heliotrope, very fragrant!

• 5 years ago

I visited Mike and his incredible yard a few days ago. It's like stepping into another world, it's a little garden of paradise. Mike, thanks so much for the visit, I had a wonderful time!

Here's some of Mike's roses:

Mike, I haven't counted but I think I have 20-24 Dianthus! A bunny mowed down a couple, I hope they'll recover one was the orange Supertrooper, glad I got a 2nd.

Amy, have you thought about adding space vertically? Maybe some window boxes?

• 5 years ago

Hit by deer several years,now in pot starting a new life.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Monyet
  • 5 years ago

Bob, that color is beautiful! Do you know the name of that one? Is it fragrant? Great job pot growing. Will you over winter it in the pot and how will you do that? I am thinking about this. I am thinking the cold porch where I put my figs to keep them dormant will do? 40's and 50's? Not sure. Never held a rose over winter before and afraid to leave it outside.

Nancy, thank you very much. I was nice to have you for a visit. I wish more people were interested in plants like we are. It's sad that many don't take the time to smell the roses. Beautiful job too,.

• 5 years ago

Osmanthus 'Tianxiang Taige' surprised me with a few blooms in June

• 5 years ago

Thanks Mike! Goodness back to a rainy pattern, and seems a lot of plants on pause until the sun returns. Blooms are running low here until then.

Last week this red rose had tons of blooms and was very fragrant from many feet away.

Fuchsia, one of my favorite looking blooms, usually I don't buy them as they are expensive and have been difficult to happy, but I found a hanging basket on clearance for under $5 so figured why not!

A couple more pics from Mike's :)

I really love this colorful Honeysuckle, it's so gorgeous and fragrant too! Nice job buddy. I wouldn't mind adding this to my yard too ;-)

His beautiful Hoya australis 'Lisa' in bloom!

-Nancy

• 5 years ago

Mike, ten varieties of neofinetias!! Omg! I am jealous! You must tell me what you have! My most precious one is called Yubae. I have it for 3 years now. It had only one fan at first and each summer it grows one more fan for me. Hopefully, I will get some flowers next year but it doesn’t matter much because in my humble opinion, neofinetia’s leaves and roots are beautiful on their own. Flowers are bonus to me.

Mike,I water them with tap water all year long but in winter, I don’t water often(they stayed very dry). Oh and also, I don’t give any fertilizer from fall until I put them outside again(at the beginning of May). I just remount mine last spring so I won’t have to do it this year. Yeah! Lol it’s funny because I watched a thousand of time Jason Fischer’s video about remounting neofinetias! It always looks so simple to do but I never succeeded! The mound stayed in place for a couple of weeks and then it started to deflate lolll.

Your flowers are gorgeous! Is Michelia Alba an encyclia! It’s so cute! Thank you for sharing them! Don’t you like being able to go take a walk in your garden to look at all these beauties? It must be so peaceful!

Mike, we finally have some beautiful weather here and my plants love it! My citrus are showing some new growths and my cattleya has a new pseudobulb. Mike, I am debating to repot my cattleya in promix. It’s mounted on a piece of bark right now but I am thinking that it will grow faster in something more wet. I just remember reading something about cattleya in hydroponic.

Nancy, what do you mean by adding vertical space? Is it possible? Hmmm... do you have any pictures where I can visualize the concept? Interesting...I am all about adding more spaces lolll

Thank you for sharing all these beautiful pictures of Mike’s flowers. His garden must be like a paradise with all those beautiful flowers! You are so lucky! He will have to kick me out because I won’t want to go lol!

Bob, what a cute roses you have there! I didn’t know that you also like flowers!

• 5 years ago

You have to mix and match, a bunch of fruit trees for me and flowers and whatever plants for my wife. Do I mind, no. Some flowers are stinky, fragrance in a different way.

• 5 years ago

Amy, my dear friend!! You are right. If I had the room I would by more. Ha. I have yellow, orange, white, blue, and purple. They all smell so good don't they? One small plant can smell an entire room at times. You have to try Brugmansia! hey, I can't believe you get yours so good looking with tap. I use rain water most times and yours still look nicer. I will take some pics for you. LOL, i know what you mean about making ,ounts. I actually tried the bottle method and dropped the bottle and it broek leaving me with a pile of moss in my hand falling on the floor. Real easy but I did it. I will show you. They are holding with the long sphagnum. Thank god. I would use a lot more sphagnum with medium size bark, Half and half or more sphag than bar. The soil will rot the roots come spring. I can't believe you are growing so many orchids and citrus to boot. I will show you a few of mine...

Michelia Alba is nothing close to an orchid. It's a Japanese type of magnolia tree. Oh my goodness, anyone who loves fragrance should own one. It just whaffs every where! Great job my friend.

Nancy, thank you for posting those. You are just too kind and was such a pleasure to have around. Amy is welcomed anytime for sure too. I didn't think that Lisa hoya above looked that good. I like it. YOur roses are to die for. Great job. I would love to see you post an update on your new garden when finished.

Sabut, good for you! Those flowers can be so subtle and yet so strong. I have one too. I love this tree but it only flowers when it starts to get cold(

Bob, you treat your wife so nice, she is blessed with such a nice set up! What are those yellow flowers? Interesting. Are those Camelia??? Such a good job buddy.

• 5 years ago

Amy, by vertical space I mean adding flower boxes or hanging baskets with shepard hook stands, plant hanging brackets on the house or fences, to using a tree. Pergolas of all types, metal or wood are also useful to hang plants. Mike uses lots of vertical space in his small yard, he's surely an expert by now, lol, I've seen them all except the window boxes.

Thanks, Mike for the kind words! I love visiting :))) It's always a fun day with you. Ya know what's bugging me, I added lots of plants to that area in front of the pool and there are hardly any flowers!! Maybe when the sun returns for a several days in a row some will flower again. I know the peonies are almost done for the year, but there are the two roses, and about a dozen Dianthus (a couple mowed down by bunnies) and two calla lilies. A few other randoms like a day lily and iris too. Hardly anything, just a few leftover iris in bloom. So sad after all that work. It's not really done, I have to figure out edging stones/brick materials.

Poeny 'Sandra Bernhardt'

-Nancy

• 5 years ago

Wow what a fantastic month of gardening so far!

Amy, thanks for the links to the orchid sites. Now my brain is busily working with the possibility of adding to my already many obsessions. Yikes

Mike, your garden is just chockablock full of treasures. Would love to see a full garden shot if possible? There’s that white honeysuckle sigh… I’ve never seen a white heliotrope for sale here. How does the scent compare?

A few more blooms from my garden…

’New Zealand’ - she’s a bit neglected by the front steps but does her best

‘Memorial Day’ - this one’s almost finished and has faded to a soft pink

Lavandula augustifia ‘Thumbelina ‘Leigh’ - lavenders are a MUST in every fragrant garden, am I right

‘Pink and Sweet’ - quite a fragrant azalea & summer blooming, which is great. Very handsome foundation plant

‘Evelyn’ again. She’s one of my faves

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
  • 5 years ago

Maggie. WOW, your beautiful flowers of fragrance just keep coming. Fantastic. LOL, once you catch the orchid fever, there is no turning back, trust me. Always a chock full of surprises there. You can't go wrong with neofalcata, the coconut maxalleiria, or the sweet chocolate oncidiums! Especially the Encylia,,lol

Maggie, the white honey suckle I will send you cuttings of if you know how to root them. They are very easy to root. Let me know) Yes, the white Heliotrope is very fragrant, I never saw one until I got this one. Didn't even know they existed..Thank you. My Madam Annisette is about to explode but 3 days of rains is not helping. Ugh!

I will take a few more pics of the yard. I have two houses that I grow plants at . One with just grass and an area deidcated to plants, and this one, smaller loaded from head to toe...Ha

Those color roses are to die for. I have one that is still in a pot growing in the middle of no where I forgot I ad. I will post a pic. VERY VERY fragrant!!

And, you are so lucky your Lavender comes back. I love the smell when you walk by them or after a rain storm. My goodness. Over here they barely come back because it's so cold in the winter. On the borderline with those. Here is the funny thing. I bought some from my local nursery for a dollar because they were last years pots which came back full, in pots! Mines in the ground never made it. What gives? lol

• 5 years ago

Well maggie, you did it again.lol NOw I was on the search for this one because I lost my last one and was reminded of how much I miss it. NO one is selling one until next spring.Ugh. Beautiful pictures as always. My roses are finally opening and the Lillies are about to bloom, thank God. Beautiful roses. You know what I have that I can't wait for flowers on? Bugbanes. I love the tall yellow flowers that smell so sweet and the black color of the leaves)

• 5 years ago

Ooh yes! I planted a new bugbane last year - ‘Black Negligee’ - supposed to be fragrant. We’ll see.

I’m so enjoying my garden that I forgot about my indoor guys. I was reminded just now by a strong blast of perfume when I walked past..

• 5 years ago

Maggie, too funny. I have a few of those and never thought of posting them. Ha. I will join you with thse most fragrant plants of all. How long have you been growing that gardenia and any tips? seems to me you are doing a fantastic job!

Mike

• 5 years ago

Well you picked the one plant without an ID tag, lol. I would guess at least 15 years? I bought it as a spindly little tree from the local dollar store for $20. I’ve neglected it, forgetting to water it, and I’ve never changed the pot or soil all these years. Right now it’s a bit bare still recovering from the winter dryness but as soon as I watered it more, all the buds popped out.

• 5 years ago

Maggie, how in the world do you take care of it in the winter? You just have a trick because most others fail big time caring for gardenia. Do you keep it indoors in the winter in a sunny window? Lights? Do you watch for mites? Do you feed it anything different? I find it a miracle that you can have such a great looking tree that long look so good with gardenia. Even buds. Are you growing that indoors or some outside? Crazy

While I’m at it. My Maddam Annisette rose bush has finally started opening. Dozens and dozens at once. I love the bush. Smelling so so sweet ! Each flower a different shade of color stage. Some pinkish, white, tan, and beige

Wow

• 5 years ago

This rose is definitely coming home to my garden this fall. Gorgeous!

Mike, I used to haul all my tender plants outside in the summer, then bring them inside to winter. However, it became too much of a chore, with the heavy pots and having to fight pests that would get on the plants outdoors. Now my gardenia, michelias, citrus stay inside all year. I do experience some leaf drop due to the dry air but they rebound in the spring.

I don’t use any special soil either. Just the usual potting soil but the heavier “outdoor” stuff for planters.

I do keep a fairly cool house - visitors complain they’re cold, haha. Nothing kills plants faster than the heat full blast.

Oh I do take them outside for a bath in the spring. A nice shower, trim, etc.

• 5 years ago

Maggie, wow and that do that great?

Do you have a lot of sunlight coming into your home? Are they in a sun room? If not, I don't know how you do it. That's crazy.

Yup, you need to get this rose. Lol No kidding. It never grows to tall for that small space for me and doe snot mind a hard cut back. Very vigorous! Beautiful and smells wonderful. Good job

• 5 years ago

Maggie, your roses are spectacular! You (and Mike) have me wanting more, I really LOVE that 'Evelyn' it's really pretty shape and colorwise. I can see why it's a fav of yours. Wow, you can grow Gardenias! They hate me, I've tried twice, I'll just enjoy them at Mike's.

Mike, INCREDIBLE, what a beauty that 'Maddam Annisette' haa it's like it is showing off with all those blooms saying "look what I can do"! (Stuart, MadTV.... now I miss that show lol). Bet it smells out of this world too :)

• 5 years ago

Mike, my citrus, michelia are in a sunroom. Luckily this room has a ceiling fan which I leave on all the time (and open window when possible). I really feel indoor plants need a lot of circulation. This room is also unheated & only gets whatever warmth comes in from the living room. The gardenia tree is in the hallway until a skylight. The light is filtered which is what I find they like. I find michelias, gardenias suffer in hot, direct sunlit locations. I think 15+ years is pretty good haha.

• 5 years ago

Maggie, thank you very much my friend. You are doing an amazing job. Can't wait to see what you have that is fragrant this month)))

MIke

• 5 years ago

Nancy, how in the wordl did I not see your post? I am so sorry my friend! Thank you. Where are your most recent ones...? I miss those.

• 2 years ago

Mike, I found a (Burlington, Ma) Etsy shop that sells Jasmine and other tropicals. I ordered online and then they let me pick up the items to avoid shipping. All their plants appear to be from Thailand. ThaiGardenUS is the Etsy shop. I bough 3 Jasmine plants a few grapevines. Their limes looked really healthy. They even sent me home with some delicious pears from their trees.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked ColleeninMHD 6a
  • 2 years ago

I think I found my people in this post/group!

I love fragrance. I can’t get enough. I grow tiny little orange trees just for the blossoms. I am obsessed with gardenias but have not been successful in growing them. I have better success with Jasmine. I have too many varieties to list. Quite a few starter plants from Logees. I just found a local Etsy shop with much bigger Jasmine plants and healthy too.

Outside, I am a David Austen newbie. Olivia, Princess Alexandria of Kent, Boscobel, Jubilee Celebration, Pilgrim. Not DA: Then Earth Angel and Eden climber). James Galway on order. Lots of drift ground cover roses.

I have several Dave Wilson fruit trees (multi bud and two Monrovia espaliers) Apple, Pear, Peaches, cherry, pluots all different varieties on dwarf stock.

I grow asiatic and oriental lilies for the fragrance. And loads of blueberries, strawberries and now starting grapes. In a postage stamp size of a yard. Oh, monster honeysuckle ( I need to manage better) and clematis. On the wall and fence. 35 hydrangeas.

In the spring it is all hyacinth, fragrant daffodils and snow drops. My neighbors think I am nuts.

My real struggle is keeping the plants happy indoors that I have to bring in soon. I don’t have a warm garage. I do have a sunroom with steam radiators, fan and humidifiers and extra UVA lights.

Oh, and I cannot get my amaryllis to bloom no matter which technique I try.

Massachusetts 6a Coastal. Colleen

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked ColleeninMHD 6a
  • 2 years ago

Colleen, where in Burlington??? Now I am very curious. I actually work in Woburn next town over. Ok. I will be back to read more, but please let me know))

• 2 years ago

On Given street off of the Winn exit from 95 ( opposite of Wegmans) very easy to find. You need to purchase online on Etsy ( Store name: ThaiGardenUS) Then message the owners Chol and let them know you are local. They will refund your when you pick up ( or suggest you take home more Jasmine, which is what I ended up doing. ) They we’re very kind, I suspect that the wife is directly from Thailand and may be connected to the Royal family. Very kind and respectful. She runs a foundation for the former King of Thailand. (who went to Harvard!)