SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Brian, how are you? How are the trees? Pics please?

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey buddy, been missing you around here and the pictures of your trees too)

How has the weather been? Still cold? How are your trees doing? Are they outside yet?

Seems all of our weather has been coming from your area lately and it's been unusually cold for this time of the year. I heard even snow today in some parts for you. Is that crazy or what?

Many here are speaking of hot weather and for weeks, while we are basking in cold still. Depressing.

Low 40's tonight for me, coldest I have seen it for June standards for sure.t((

Miss you buddy, hugs

Comments (257)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian, hello my good friend! Yes, those were taken on a boat and come to think of it, it was just last week, and hard to believe it does not feel like summer anymore. Hard to believe how fast things can change. I miss that hot sun and warm weather. I am already depressed and it's not even true fall yet buddy. Funny we were on boats at teh same time. lol And you know what? I have not ever been to the Boston Pops or July 4th thingy. I have always wanted to go though. I know right? I can't believe that most of teh Bahamas is dead buddy. It is so so sad. I had friends there that don't know what to do. September all of a suffen is looking warm for me for the next ten days. I even see 80's. I am not sure if I can believe it but I can get pretty excited the prospects of that. lol Brian buddy, don't feel bad abot bugs. It has been a very bad year for many folks with bugs. Dry air, lack of rain, too much rain has taken a toll. There are plants I never hit up with the Fish Emulsion this year that got devesated by mites. I am so mad at myself for getting lazy. I had to use the stronger Horticultural Oils and now they are gone, but not befeore killing a few of my prized trees. It makes me sick buddy. I am surely not going to carry any inside this year, so the fisha nd oils are heavy at work right now. NO burning like you, thank god. I think our sun is just much weaker than those down south which helps buddy. What a nice pisture too. Funny, looks like the same boat I took a pcture of lol. That's crazy buddy. I was sick this weekened and slept all day, but much better and I hope you are well. I also cut some trees back, roots too according to your skills and advice, and it worked. I will post pictures of the trees I did and how well they are doing. They loved it buddy. Thank you.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bob, how are you? How are you enjoying these last few days? I see you have your eyes on a tractor? Nice. I have a question. Can you describe what a Paw Paw tastes like and if I can even grow one here in New England? Any more boat rides, fishing? Do they bite even when it gets cold?

• Related Discussions

Newbie question: how do I prune this plum tree (with pics), pls!

Q

Comments (8)
    Wow, very helpful! Fruitnut, you say to remove the "overly thick" and 20% of the larger branches. I know it's a dumb question, but how do I decide what overly thick and "larger" means? Harvestman, your explanation was definitely helpful! Let me ask this: if I let some of the tall vertical growth keep growing, will those bear fruit? I read that fruit only came on the more horizontal ones, but there appear to be flower buds galore on even the tall, straight, thin ones this year (though last year there were only leaves). And yes, it's grown out of the bottom of the barrel and into the cobblestones! They are 150 year old cobblestones, and there's about 3/4 inch in between each one, so there's room there... I forgot to add one fascinating fact (and question!!). That thick, low branch that grows out the right side there--that's a grafted peach branch! It didn't do too well. TONS of peaches, none of which were edible. They made the branch way too heavy, never got enough sun, the branch is smashing into the fence (and most of the fruit only grew on the end there, and they were diseased. I have NO idea what to do with that!!! Suggestions?? Because of space constraints and b/c it has grown to reach so far out beyond what it can handle in weight, I obviously need to prune it pretty dramatically. But the amt. that I figure I need to prune (to stop it from growing into the fence anymore) would basically cut back all of the vegetation and fruit. Should I do that?? THANK YOU!!!
    ...See More

Yard Pics - for Mike and Brian in Chitown and others...

Q

Comments (10)
    That CIDP is a very nice palm! It looks very healthy. I know you don't like your Queens but they are very nice...really good trunks. I hope you are keeping the two in the picture. If you keep them well fed they will stay really green and full. If you plant Coconuts around them they blend really well. I have several among my coconuts and they just flow. Does your HOA care what you do in your backyard? If not, given all the space it looks like you have, I would jungle up. My goal is to get rid of most of my grass in my back yard. I am working on completing my canopy on one side and have started building out my understory. My ultimate goal is to have a tropical garden with trails and hidden garden grotto's. Of course my DW thinks I am insane and just creating a yard that no-one but another palm nut like me would want.
    ...See More

How did you trim your vinyl windows (pics please)

Q

Comments (19)
    tdpillo - Please excuse my harshness, but I think you are judging before asking questions. For the record much of our home is DIY. My husband and I did all the hardwood floors, did the majority of subway tile. We did all the grout and mortar. We also did at least half of the millwork throughout the house. We did our own concrete stairs outside in 3 different places, did the scoring on the concrete slab in greatroom, will also do the staining and sealing when the time comes. We did almost all the paint prep. Will do ALL the painting, did the crown throughout the house, did the columns, did the beadboard. Will do the T & G in the outside breezeway. Will set all the finish plumbing fixtures and do final cleanup and all the landscaping which is extensive. I have 11 children, and yes this is a large, expensive home. We absolutely had a budget. If I wanted the house of my dreams I knew we would have to do the work. We also had an incompetent builder that did nothing so we had no choice. Our current home is also a house we re-did everything. We had a smallish (2200 sq. ft) home that had basic apt. type molding everywhere. Formica counters, lino floors etc. We re-did all woodwork, counters, floors, etc. We now have a lovely home to sell w=hen our other home is finished. People can DIY and get these results. It is not impossible. But with such a negative attitude it would be hard for sure. I see something and I want to do it. I have learned so much just getting my hands dirty and saying I can do this. Our current home looks beautiful for a very small amount of money. It can be done, you just have to want it and do the work. I searched out bargains, deals, and internet finds regularly. I do not think someone is destined to mediocrity because of money. Life is what you make it, not what your stuck with.
    ...See More

Brian read this....About your trees and your success

Q

Comments (21)
    Brian..Oh my God..Seems to be you do everything right, even Sugar has the whitest fir and the cleanest eyes! What the heck do you feed him, Miracle Grow..?lol Seriously, that coat of fir looks so soft and cuddly and clean! A diamond in the rough buddy..I never saw a dog of that sport look so clean..They usually have a problem with black fir around the eyes if they don't get the right nutrition..You are doing a mighty job buddy! Well I did say everything right, but you fail when it comes to eating sloppy Joe bud..ha Listen, I would kill for a three hour thunderstorm. I can't even get a ten minute one. It's been three years..The deforestation is really doing damage and they are just now admitting it. We are turning into another desert..It's scary. You say you need work between the shoulders..I am all your pal and I won't even charge you..I'll just trade you for one of your trees..lool It was 55 all day here because the front never moved northward until about 3..Then it popped up twenty degrees in a half hour..lol Now it's warm here..60's tonight)))) I love it. You should see how all my trees are loving it and my plants in the yard..Every tree is still outside Brian..I thin after after this weekend that's it...50's and 30's by night for days on end it seems..Arg! Brian, thank you for asking about Mom..She's had a tough day and she can't believe how many here care about her..What a great bunch of beautiful human beings here, including Sugar of course....We need that... I hope you are wrong about this winter..I don't want to spend so many days worried about the heaters going out due to a circuit breaker or storm..It's the most stressful thing for me keeping things in my greenhouse. Every single day it drops well below freezing, I have to keep a thermometer close to my bed for when I wake up or keep calling my home to see what the temps is..My Mother is my watch dog. Sugar must love sitting in there with you buddy> Give him and yourself a hug for me will you? By the way, soil mix question?? Do you have to amend your mix at all? And do you ever over pot or pot just one size up from the root ball? Thanks bud
    ...See More
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy, I will be back. I had to run)))

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Mike, got done testing the neighborhood friends for a taste test, it was fun about the outcome: banana, mango, don’t care, never new it exists, but I like it, pudding.Myself? I have been growing these trees since 2004. 90% are hybrids. Some are excellent, some are sweet but bland, some are strong,overly rich tasting.

Repot a Atemoya yesterday at 92*, kept 30% of the roots, prune tree heavily, fill container only half, today It looks ok. Next spring will prune the tall branches in half.

Today, this Jabo is ready to pick again. It will flower again shortly after picking.

Use my boat just for dragging dead trees of the shorelines to continue building my fish habitat.

Fishing ? Year around, lake don’t freeze over. My fishing start when temps are in the sixties. Don’t fish in the summer.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mikey my friend get well fast being sick stinks !!!!! What you haven't seen the Boston Pops lol it's a must . Mikey like your weather it's going to warm up here to , next week is looking very summer like near 80 all week . Who knows maybe I can keep the trees out until the second week of October which would be a first wait who am I kidding . They are still calling for snow here around the third week of October Yikes!!!!! The last couple of nights have been very very cool low 40's upper 30's with many areas not far from here having their first frost . Mikey the bugs are crazy never seen it as bad , later today I'm going to spray some trees with the neem. I don't think I have to worry about the sun burning the leaves the sun is at a real low angle now . That's fantastic good for you glad the transplant went well !!!!! There is just so much to do right lol . Who is going to do it when we're really old lol . That's sad about your trees buddy I'm sure with your tender loving care they will spring back to life . Mikey isn't it nice being by the water and watching the boats go by . I love to watch the big ocean liners traveling down the St. Lawrence they are so huge . You must see some pretty amazing ships in Boston Harbor. This weekend will be are last boat ride as it's going to be over wintered away . Unfortunately not like Bob lol rub it in , our rivers and lakes freeze up really really thick . Mikey the only thing I hate about this time of year is the dead silence during the daytime all the birds have gone except the Cardinals and Blue Jays . Thank goodness we still have crickets for the nighttime sounds . Well off to cook a small turkey we picked up there goes an hour with all the prep then spray the trees before the rain . Have a fantastic day my dear friend and get well fast !!!

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Bonsoir tout le monde! Bob, I love your jaboticaba! Can’t wait for mine to fruit! I went to nursery this weekend and saw a beautiful orange tree

Can you guess the price of this beautiful tree?

At that price, we are a bunch of millionaires loll!

• Monyet
    4 years ago

Merci mon ami, Amy.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Amy thanks for the laugh!!! Qu'elle prix!! merveilleux comment il a fais dans la voiture? Bonne soirée à vous deux.

Brian

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked nulesm
  • Monyet
    4 years ago

Only difference between yours and the one in that picture is time. Yours will be better.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Monyet
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Brian, what a gorgeous ship! That must have been a fun day our on the water. Betta fish are mostly easy, I just feed once in the morning. Here's a photo if my 10 gallon with my male koi betta, nerite snail, and there are four coridoras (catfish) but I plan to get a few more of matching species as they like to group together. There is just one fake plant otherwise it's all planted and driftwood. Ha, yes very true never put two male bettas or colorful fish that they may want to fight against.

I've been spending days, looking online and at some pet stores for a large tank for goldfish. Usually I hate the stands or they are crazy expensive. I keep going back-and-forth about what gallon size tank, 20, 29, or 40.

Mike, I know Paw Paws can be grown in our area as I know someone in Worcester that's always raving about them. I hope you like my fish tank too.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Nancy very very nice and the water is so clean . Your betta is quit the looker they really are a beautiful fish . I can see why you can't put to betta males together JEALOUSY lol. Love the catfish haven't seen those before. Gold fish are funny the larger the tank the larger they get we had one that was near 10 inches and lived well over 10 yrs old . That gold fish so loved people it would swim right up to the glass to meet whom ever was looking at it . Very nice pic Nancy brought back a lot of memories!!!!!

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Nancy, we share another hobby together lol!!! Here is my little clown fish swimming peacefully in her anemone! Her husband is somewhere in there lol!

Bob, thank you for your kind words mon ami! It thanks to all of you that I have the courage to try something new! Every time I open this thread, I love to look at your jaboticaba! Mine is a strong grower so maybe I can hope to see a few flowers next year? Cross my finger! Bob, I use holly tone for my mango tree and it seems to love it! Do you also use holly to your citrus trees?

Mike, are we all curious to see if we can grow mango here? Lol, here is mine. It’s a gift from my mom because it didn’t grow for her so I just rescue it.

Brian, oh wow beautiful picture!!! It’s a shame that a get sea sick everytime I go into any kind of boat lol! You do well to enjoy our beautiful weather when it lasts. I look at the forecast and it seems that we won’t have any frost for the next couple weeks. My lychee trees are still outside because I think that they like cool weather. They are still small so it’s easy for me to move them in anytime I want. Brian, did you have time to spray your trees? I use this sprayer with my hose and love it

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/chapin-all-purpose-16-dial-hose-end-sprayer-with-metering-dial-0591114p.html#srp

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

I also bought those switches at Costcoto turn on/off my greenhouse light from a distance with my cell. Loll, I am kind of chicken and hate to fumble in the dark trying to open the light out there alone. I also plug my fan in one of those so I can control it on schedule!

love it!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked Amy (montreal, canada)
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Thank you, Brian :) Wow, you had a huge goldfish! Did you have a massive tank for it? I'm curious how often I'll have to do water changes as they are super messy and create a ton of ammonia. What have I gotten myself into, lol, here I was thinking I should simplify things in life, ha yeah right. So I have 8 comets ( about 2") and 2 with a fan tail, they are now outdoors in two 30 gallon tubs but they need to come indoors for the winter as the water would freeze as not deep. They really love when I visit them, especially when I feed them of course. I am leaning towards a 40 gallon breeder tank, and after looking for stands on them, which were very limited, learned that some 50 and 65 gallon stands are close to the same dimensions (just a taller tank).

Amy, that's awesome, you have an aquarium and it's salt water!! I just LOVE clown fish, I'll tell you more in a moment. That's so cool to have anemones and watch them play hide and seek. I assume you'd have corals? May we see a tank pic, please? How easy or difficult do you consider a saltwater tank? Maybe someday I'll do a salt, I bet there's a lot to learn and it seems like an expensive hobby. There is a nearby small aquarium shoppe with lots of interesting reef and corals, it seems like one could spend hundreds just to decorate it.

So I have fond memories of clown fish, back in 2000 visited the Great Barrier Reef and whole snorkeling was surrounded by hundreds of them and other tropical fish. Neat little smart electrical plugs, someday I should get some too.

Mike has a gorgeous fresh water tank, it's always a treat to see. Hey where is he? Come back buddy!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh my God, every time I wanted to post., I got stupid busy. I finally have soem down time.

Brian, I think I need to retire, although I am about 25 years away.lol I went to the gym last night and worked out until 10 oast 10 at tnight, then go up at 430 a.m. as I alwasy do and I think I am ready. lol Brian, it seems that the ten day forcast has lowered the temps again. Geez. Can we ever trust that ten day forcast buddy? It would be nice if we could leave our trees out until Halloween, that would be a miracle.lol Besides, the little kids would probably steal our fruits. Thanks buddy. That is what happens when you ignore your trees for just a few weeks. I am so sick of pests. I finally got rid of them and actually dug out the Brugs and threw them away. They are the worst mite magnets I have ever seen. It's not worth growing them at all. I think I will stick to citrus.lol Have you noticed how dark it's getting earlier and earlier? It seems it was just a few days ago it was summer, hot and bright, and now this. Dark all day here with low gray clouds. Crazy depressing. It was just over a week ago I took that boat ride, the sun was hot and the day was beautiful. Have you or are you going to cover the pool soon? Already? I'll bet you only got about a good month of pool weather and that's it buddy. Use to be at least 3 months of it. The water must be cold by now. Brian, I swear we could talk all day. We think the same things buddy...lol I was just thinking that the other day. All the bird singing just gone over night, and now I am waiting for the quiet nights when the bugs that sing at night just go. So far I hear crickets but they will be gone before you know it. The one warm day we had yesterday brought them all out last night. Boy were they super loud. I loved it. I sat outside on my rocker wishing the warm nights would stick around longer. Beach days too. You have to come to the beach with us some day. I can take you to a beautiful one..We can show off our six packs buddy. lol I am shocked at Amy's greenhouse!!! Spaking of Amy, time to talk to her. Hugs hugs buddy!! Give Sugar some too please.

Brian, these are the trees acre potted your way thanks to you I cut back the roots and tops and they held their fruit and grew new growth They loved it

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

This is Mike’s aquarium! He’s busy and gave the ok to post it :) I just love it! So bright and cheerful.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Amy, how are you? How are you coming along? I suppose much better after setting up that highly intriquing beautiful well put together greenhouse. I can't believe how much room you have and even a ceiling fan..Wowowowo. I am truly impressed. Now don't forget to make room for a table and chairs. Forget more trees. They will grow. lol Make room for you. Love the fish tank Amy...Sea water?? wow. Lot's of work but truly worth it. If I could afford to pay someone to care for one. I would have one in a heart beat. Beautiful work. Smat thinking with those smart plugs!! I have some. You can control everything from your phone. I am even thinking of getting cameras if they withstand the humidity in there. I know they now have water proof T.V's. I think I will get one of them too. What a beautiful Mango. Don't you just love the color of the new leaves? Where did you get it? Was in expensive? I really want one. What type? I hope it oes well for you. If you stick it outside, make sure to keep the squirrels from it, they are bad. Amy, I am so happy to see how long you have come. Now, don't forget the clear solar pool cover come the very cold nights!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bob, I had no idea so many could taste so different. Bob, you make me so jealous buddy. I can't believe you can fish that long. I hope some day to visit your area. It seems so peacful and like living life, not to say surrounded by all your beautiful trees. What do you like about the Jabo tree? Is the fruit sweet? is a very different tree for sure. Liek the way the fruits grow on the branches like that. Strange. You can grow anything in a pot buddy. You are so good at that.

Nancy, wow. What a nice tank. You an your fish and frogs.lol I love them all though. Great job. I'll bet you can't wait to find a fish tank that is just right and you will. The beach was awesome the other day. Seems like yesterday. I will miss it. Isn't Amy's greenhouse to die for? What a great job...Paw paws? Really. We need to talk about that))

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Mike thank you for your kind words! I really enjoy being in my greenhouse. Lol I am happy to stay there all day! I am planning to go buy the solar cover this weekend before they stop selling it but I think that I have to wait before I install it because it’s still very hot in the greenhouse. Today the temperature reached over 100F! Wow!!!! Mike, a quick question. Do you need to tell tour insurance company about having a greenhouse? My father is urging me to do so but I don’t see the need.

My mango is a Glenn and is a gift from my mom. I bought her a barbados cherries for her birthday and she no longer want her mango so she gave it to me! Yes! I don’t know much about this variety but I figure that I can try to keep it alive and if I succeed than I can buy other varieties. Oh yeah no more buying for me loll. I really have to repeat this mantra! Mike, live your aquarium! So colorful! Do you name your fishes? I do loll. So we have Schubert, Fatboy and Mickey mouse.

Nancy, here is a picture of my aquarium.

I have it for more than 10 years now and I must confessed that it’s a lot of work because we do all the stuffs manually (adding water, additives, feeding my fishes etc). You are right to say that it’s a expensive hobby because you need a lot of material to run a saltwater tank (skimmer, light, pump, etc) but it’s very rewarding. Every time, I walk by my aquarium my fishes are coming out to greet me or maybe they just want mire food loll. Nancy, you went to the great barrier? Wow, it’s my dream to go there! Lucky you! Everything must be so beautuful there!

Some pictures of my corals

Goniopora. I bought this when it had only four polyps and now it’s huge

Brain coral

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Mike thank you for your kind words! I really enjoy being in my greenhouse. Lol I am happy to stay there all day! I am planning to go buy the solar cover this weekend before they stop selling it but I think that I have to wait before I install it because it’s still very hot in the greenhouse. Today the temperature reached over 100F! Wow!!!! Mike, a quick question. Do you need to tell your insurance company about having a greenhouse? My father is urging me to do so but I don’t see the need.

My mango is a Glenn and is a gift from my mom. I bought her a barbados cherries for her birthday and she no longer want her mango so she gave it to me! Yes! I don’t know much about this variety but I figure that I can try to keep it alive and if I succeed than I can buy other varieties. Oh yeah no more buying for me loll. I really have to repeat this mantra! Mike, live your aquarium! So colorful! Do you name your fishes? I do loll. So we have Schubert, Fatboy and Mickey mouse.

Nancy, here is a picture of my aquarium.

I have it for more than 10 years now and I must confessed that it’s a lot of work because we do all the stuffs manually (adding water, additives, feeding my fishes etc). You are right to say that it’s a expensive hobby because you need a lot of material to run a saltwater tank (skimmer, light, pump, etc) but it’s very rewarding. Every time, I walk by my aquarium my fishes are coming out to greet me or maybe they just want more food loll

Nancy, you went to the Great Barrier? It’s my dream to go there one day! Everything must be so beautiful there. The corals must be huge!!

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Some more pictures

Goniopora. Can you believe that I bought it when it only had four polyps

Brain coral

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

tell your insurance company.

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Steve, is it because of the fire hazard or to make sure that they will cover my collection?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

Yes. You would hate to loose your house's insurance coverage to an insurance covered fire because you didn't claim the new greenhouse especially if the GH wasn't the cause of the fire that took your house.

Steve

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    4 years ago

Oh thanks Steve. I will call my insurance company this week end!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Mike lol its getting dark so fast now barely enough time to get a barbecue in . Tonight we are going to sit at our bar and eat a ton of chicken wings and drinks. Mikey keep up the great workouts but a little warning in about 15 yrs everything will start shifting down south lol. Mikey we haven't closed the pool yet and the water is about 66 , someone has to get in the water to take the stairs out lol . Mikey we had a great summer here sunny almost everyday and it was very warm , we used the pool all July and August. This week has been very sunny but on the cool side but next week sunny with warm temperatures near 80 . Mikey I might have my trees out till the second week of October if the long range forecast is correct which would be awesome. Fantastic job of repotting your trees Buddy !!! It's a lot of work but easy . Your tree looks so healthy didn't mind it a bit . I noticed a fig fruit on the mix , you got figs this year? Lol you did such a perfect job of repotting there isn't one speck of potting mix on that pot your so much neater than I . Mikey I love the sound of crickets to , they are going daytime and nighttime here . Blue Jay was in my lemon tree this morning he must love lemons . Mikey one of these days we are going to get our passports done so we can do a little traveling and maybe visit you one day I love beaches . Enjoy the day my friend. Hugs

You guys with the aquariums lol your not going to get me hooked back into that hobby . They are so beautiful aren't they but so much work lol . This stage of my life less work the better . Mikey and Amy beautiful aquariums they sure do bring life to a dull room . Nancy I think Amy was trying to warn you with how much upkeep Aquariums need . Nancy I think that it was the comet tail Gold fish that lived old we also had a fancy tailed one that lived quit old and grew fairly large . The larger the aquarium the larger they will get . Amy love your corals and fish they must have cost a fortune .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey Brian, I pray we get that warm weather you speak of!! We need a break from the early cold spells we get and cold winters. Now that the Saudi fields were blown up, I am hoping it doesn't cost us a fortune to stay warm with oil buddy. Pray we will be ok buddy. So you like the re pots? Thank you. I couldn't of done it without the encouragement from you and Bob. I am grateful buddy. They responded so well and I am so happy. Too funny. why don't they create a heater of some sort we can drop into pools to keep the water warm so that you don't have to close them down so early? Thank God for our greenhouse of I would be escaping to the Carribean quite often! I'm glad you had a nice summer buddy. Too short! It didn't get warm here until July. It's nice living very close near the ocean until the sea breeze kicks in. 60's for Tuesday and Wednesday and 40's by night again. You are lucky in that respect because if it wasn't for the seabreeze, I would see 80's much more often. Sigh. I am seeing 80's by next weekend though thank God and I pray that does not change as it always does. I hate anything colder than the 70's. So, you did end up eating all that chicken and drink? lol You are way too funny. When the barbecues are over, then it is back to sloppy Joes buddy.ha.

The crickets were out in full force last night because I had a beautiful warm humid night!! I wish they would stick around. Today is 84 and the secada are still singing in the trees! I love those. Feels just like summer buddy although I can smell the autumn air. Smells like earth full of dead leaves. lol You noticed the fig a squirrel stole and dumped on to that pot? lol They are crazy.

Hugs buddy, have a wonderful day my friend. Enjoy this warm weather while we can. Say hi to Sugar buddy.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Amy, too funny. My mother actually has a name for each of them. Funny thing is that they only come to the top of the tank when she is near them, not me. lol Thank you. Love you sea water ones. My goodness. I can't wait to see your greenhouse again. I am still taken back by how much you have come along with it. Crazy! Wishing you all the best and enjoy the warmth while we have it. I'll bet you wish you could of left them outside longer.

A Glenn Mango? That is my next investment! I had one before and a squirrel stole the developing fruit on it. I was so mad. Then to top it off, knocked the thing off my flat roof and it was dead by the time I got home from work with roots exposed in hot weather((

Amy , by the way. It’s never too early to put that cover on. In fact I find that mine left on actually keeps it cooler in my greenhouse because it mutes the full sun Out. It keeps the temps from rising or lowering too quickly. You’ll have no problem if you use it now. It is less likely to reach 100 in there verses full sun without.

Don‘ t forget to slice where the vent will open up )

Mike

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Hello Mikey!!!! Mikey the news is so depressing I'm so trying not to watch it . Scary times we live in . Mikey gorgeous, spectacular, wonderful beautiful day wall to wall sunshine with deep blue skies today I love it . All week it's supposed to be like this 7 days of it I'm so glad that I left the trees outside. Your right autumn is in the air with the scent of dead leaves which I love . Mikey that's all we had this year July & August but it seemed long probably from the beautiful weather we had no complaints here and now September Yippee. Mikey did we eat wings the problem with me I binge eat one day hardly anything then the next look out lol this is the only reason that I haven't gained weight . Im going to be working outside all week soaking up the rays as I have to prep the trees so that they can come in. Good week Mikey to call in sick and check out the surf on the Atlantic , I'm sure the waves will be big with the hurricane off shore . Enjoy your day my friend!!!!

Brian

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Amy, your salt water tank is incredible and so beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to show the pics. I love your tropical fish and corals, neat how the little four polyps grew to a great looking specimen. I hope you get to see the Great Barrier Reef too, and if you can Sydney was amazing for the gardens across from the Opera House, which also is another must see.

Yikes your greenhouse was at 100 degrees! Just add a pool in there, lol!! The citrus must be growing like weeds with all that warmth.

Brian, I just love the larger goldfish, they can be so beautiful. You must have done well for them to have them so many years. I am a little nervous on taking on more "to do's" but with some editing of plants I guess it will balance the scale, haha. This 40 gallon has been a headache. I first bought a "wood" looking stand but after getting home & looking up the reviews and finding out they were real bad, so I have to return it. I decided to go with a metal frame from Petco, and just set it up today, but I think I want a super flat surface so I may get a piece of wood cut to size. I also am not sure on where to put the silly tank, being near a facet helps, and I know to avoid bright sunny spots and AC/heat vents. I'll figure it out, for now its empty and to the left of my 10 gallon.

Mike, well at least there was a couple nice days here, I took down the shade clothes, but am a little worried about the couple 40F nights ahead, beginning tomorrow night. Yesterday, the tree frog was hanging out in the pond, then he wanted help out, and then tonight I see him back in it just hanging out. Also, the toad suddenly hoped in while I was tending to the fishes, lol.... they just love it. :)

I may edit this with more later, feel like I'm forgetting things to mention!

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    4 years ago

Hi guys, I just finished reading this whole thread! So many fun things you are doing outside of caring for citrus trees. I don't have an aquarium or birds, but I made some drawings to share with you. Mike, I hope you won't mind me posting drawings here. Here is a fish for Amy, Nancy and those who like fish:

A hummingbird for Brian, Mike and those who like birds:

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Thanks Sunshine love hummingbird

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Beautiful drawings. !!!!!!!

Brian

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mikey I forgot the tree with the red leaves is

my Santa Teresa lemon.

Brian

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Nancy how did it go with setting up your fish tank today big job I'm sure. Hope that your retired with all this extra fun work lol . Who knows maybe one day we both will decide to get back into the hobby. Love to see pictures when you have it set up! !!!!

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian buddy!! You still have your pool going..Ha IT is suppose to be in the 90's by Monday. Crazy weather buddy. So glad there is no snow soon. lol What a beautiful tree buddy. I want one so bad. Now I have to find where to get one. I love that tree for the colors, let alone the fruit and flowers. IT's a beauty bud. I think I will call out sick next week. Lol Brian buddy, wow. I can't believe you had such a nice summer. Love all those sunny days although our trees could use some rain. Mine could use some lightning buddy. Still no thunder at my house. I think those have gone the prehistoric days.lol Brian, the color of that tree up against the blue in the water is so breath taking. Thank you buddy.

Sunshine, you can draw like that? My family thinks you are beyond an artist as I do. You are amazing my friends. I love those pics. Keep them coming please. Sunshine, I LOVE that fish drawing. How in the world did you come up with such talent??? Hey, where will your trees go this winter now that it is starting to get colder? Are you preparing them for the great indoors? Ha

Nancy, too funny. I knew the frogs would come along. You must be scared to look into your pool every day wondering what you will find in there! My brother found a worm that was 12 inches long that looked like a tape worm. Disgusting. I guess they attack cricktes. I would of freaked out. I am going to miss your pool. A couple of night into the 40's should be ok. I would enclose your porch area with something, weather it's the cloth of it or plastic, and use a small space heater just on the coldest nights. Such great job there my friend!

Here is what he found

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mikey calling in sick Monday is a must lol 90's WOW !!! Incredibly sunny here today the sky and the pool is an intense blue lol. 80's here Friday, Saturday, Sunday Yippee. You and lightning lol no no no . Mikey the leaves are really starting to turn color now lots of reds and oranges on the maples . The shadows are so long now , how fast we loose the daylight . Enjoy the gorgeous afternoon my friend going to go sit at the bar now .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian buddy, make a Long Island Ice Tea for me will you? I could use one. I know, you are at the bar before it gets dark withing the 7 o'clock hour now. Crazy how fast we are loosing the sun buddy. You notice even more when your plants depend on it, right? Both that and the cold.lol It is cooling off fast here. Only 60's tomorrow and possible 38 tonight! Then summar agin for a few days starting Thursday. Up and down, up and down my weather. I can only imagine the trees up there. I think your peak foliage is a good two weeks before mine, and yet I am already seeing dabs of color on the maple. I was just thinking that about the shadows on the beach last Friday. It seemed just a couple weeks ago you could barely see your shadwo at noon, now it's a good ten feet in front of me at the same time. My greenhouse now does not see the sun until afte10 a.m once it clears the trees and it goes away withing a few hours after hiding behind the other trees. So fast buddy. Well, have fun in the warmth, and enjoy it while we have it. We will be shoveling before we know it and using the space heaters, which I HATE to fire up! I try to hold off on those as long as I can. Stay safe buddy and until we chat again, nite.

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mikey great afternoon a couple of drinks then a great barbecue. The sun went down about 40 minutes ago and the temperature probably dropped 10 degrees in that period of time , it cooled so fast . We had the 60's in the day and upper 30's at night for a few days and the trees didn't mind it . It's hard though not to worry when the temperature gets that low . For piece of mind we should place our temperature alarm thermometer outdoors , even at 35 you can get a very light frost but not a killing one . Looked at the long range no frost here until maybe second week of October Yippee. Mikey I hear you my backyard is in the dark now at 5.30 , in July the sun is in the backyard till 8.20 pm . My greenhouse looses the sun now at 1.00 pm . Next week lots of cleaning I will have to remove the pepper & tomato plants from the greenhouse so I can clean up in there . I hate doing that they are growing and producing like crazy but it has to be done . Squirrels I think were helping themselves to fruit again lol . Chipmunks go in the greenhouse and help themselves to tomatoes lol oh well there's plenty. Tomorrow is another day maybe the strawberries . Nite my friend

Brian

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Gorgeous day today a couple of pics from this afternoon. Var Calamondin coated with 100's of fruit. When it flowered I don't know. I have to many.

Gold nugget growing incredibly rapid with fruit

. I have two Gold Nuggets both same size and both were grafted 2016.

Brian

• nanzjade z5 MA
    4 years ago

Hey all! The little tree frog just loves my mini pond. Can you spot him? Today, he was funny. I placed him on the land while I did a water change. I noticed a red lady bug on one of the plants in the pond. He was tilting his head and then splash, he jumped into the water but also had ate the lady bug! LOL! At least I know he's well fed for now.

Mike, that worm is ick ick ewwwwwwwy lol too much like a tape worm. A good way to get a girl to run away, haha. Zoom zoom. If it were an earth worm, no problem I often help them when they get stranded on pavement. Yeah so going to be so cold tonight ~40F, I'll place some light blankets over some plants and probably bring in a few too. Ugg hate the change of seasons. I've seem some maple trees that have start turning orange and yellow, at least they are pretty.

Brian your Var Calamondin is beyond gorgeous. My brother had one and I loved the pattern and size of the leaves, it got too dry and died. All this drink and bbq talk makes me want pulled pork or sticky ribs, and a tropical drink. I have some mango juice to finish, and some mango rum to add to it, maybe later when I watch TV.

Sunshine, wow you are so talented! I love your drawings, especially the fish, he's so darn cute :)

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Nancy beautiful pond . I see the frog poor lady bug lol. Love the fish they have nice color . Ribs and tropical drinks is on the menu tonight thanks for the great idea !!!!!!! 40 thats nothing Nancy your plants will do just fine . 75 here today what a beautiful September so far .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian, I swear to God you and I mostly get the same weather! It was 39 this morning and now 75. What a beautiful late summer day. 90's by Sunda. I will have the top down cruising the beach for sure. I think I can still hold on to the tan if I sit on the beach for an hour or two, at noon that is.lol All this talk of food, are you sure you don't have the round belly? I swore you were working on the 6 pack buddy.

Brian now I also need the Gold gugget! lol. It seems these trees are very vigorous. That is what I need. I know nothing of root stocks and I can only pray I get good one like yours. So nice. I love them buddy. You sure have a lot of cutting bacl to do, ouch!! Brian, since your trees always seem to be in bloom and fruit, do you cut them back anyways even if they are full of fruit buddy?

By the way, I have been doing the put a little of fertilizer on the top of my pots and water in. Wow, do my trees like that! Thanks for youor lttle secrets you so kindly share my friend. Thank you and hugs.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy. I see the frog.lol I don't understand, I wrote a nice message for you and it never posted! Anyways, keep up the good work. THink we might hit the beach soon.lol Don't forget about the Orchid show. I wish they has a Citrus Show because I would be there every time!

• nulesm
    4 years ago

Mikey buddy I must sound like a broken record but the weather this week has been incredible. Today it hit 80 degrees Yippee. 80's all weekend double Yippee. Mikey take a trip to the beach it might be the last chance for getting a nice tan. The sun right now is about the same strength as mid March so you might have to stay all day in the sun to get that tan. Looks like the second week of October everything will have to be in not to bad and that would be the latest ever. Mikey I am soooo happy the fertilizing is working out for you isn't it so much easier. Mikey I hate when I have to cut my tree's back when there full of fruit and every year I have to do it. Tried a Kishu yesterday so close to being ready much juicier then last year and they had a nice taste but still a bit to tart. My friend enjoy your weekend at the beach, this weekend we will be closing the pool. Hugs Buddy

Brian

4 years ago

Mike and Brian, you both are so funny :) I did a lot of spraying today on my trees, preparing them for the "move" in to the sunroom. The weather is cooperating so far. I want to keep them outside as long as possible, but the cold weather will come fast, end of September is when usually frosts hit in our area.

Mike, my dad was a good artist and carpenter, I learned the basics from him and other things in art I learned by myself later on. It is a fun and relaxing hobby, no need to watch the weather closely to do it :)

Nancy, your post made me smile:) I thought I was the only one saving stranded earthworms on pavement :)

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • nulesm
    4 years ago

Sunshine looks like second week of October might be the first frost. Halloween they are calling for snow lol. I have lots of spraying and trimming next week while the temperature is cooler. Enjoy the last hot weekend this year my friend.

Brian

4 years ago

It has been lovely weather for few days now, Brian, my figs are not going to ripen on time!

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
  • nulesm
    4 years ago

Sunshine the warmth came to late this year . Hopefully in the next 2.weeks they will ripen up for you .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brian, have you been ok? You are retired so it is hoped that you are. Please check in or e-mail me ok