SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_24300

Can you switch cabinet colors in adjoining rooms?

We're renovating a house with a large living room that is open to a dining room (the whole thing is L-shaped with the short part of the L being the dining room.) The dining room has a large (double-door width) arched open entry into the kitchen. We're planning on using the dining room as an office/library space with a desk and wraparound shelves on all three walls. The living room/office will have wood floors; the kitchen tile. All the walls will be the same beige color--we like earthy tones, with the same color ceiling beams throughout. My issue is that I don't know what to do for cabinet colors. We wanted to do provincial brown cabinets in the kitchen with light tan granite countertops. But we also wanted to do economical ikea shelving for the most part in the office space with added trim to make them look built in, which means we have to paint them all. We really don't want to paint the bookshelves any non-neutral color or make the room too dark so that basically that leaves white. And we like the look of white closed shelving on the bottom with a wood countertop between that and open white shelving above to make the desk area. So then we thought we could do white cabinets in the kitchen with butcher block countertops. We really want the warmth of the wood in both rooms somehow. But you wouldn't put butcher block in the office so would I just need to pick a similar tone wood for the office? Or could we just do brown cabinets in the kitchen and granite and then white cabinets and the wood countertop/top of desk in the office? Or would that looks so disjointed transitioning between the two since they are fairly open to each other? I like having smooth transitions and or just keeping eveything the same, but I'm not sure how to manage this one and stay on budget.

Comments (2)