SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom3kids

tiny backyard privacy jeopardized by neighbor’s second story addition

mom3kids
4 years ago

My next door neighbor has a house up a long driveway which sits right behind and above our small property. They are building a second story including a large deck which now destroys the privacy of our small back yard, including our master bedroom and family room. Our single story ranch home is located in the hills of the San Fernando Valley/ California. I am open to planting some tall, fast growing trees, but I have a very small hillside property. The green you see at the middle of the picture are trees planted on my neighbor’s side of the fence. The top of the brown fence is the top of our back fence, so what other ideas are possible???

1. please suggest fast growing trees which grow tall/ not too wide which would grow in clay soil with some amendment/ on the top our hill up against our back fence (fence pictured).
  2. maybe add some lattice fencing to the top of our existing fencing and some tall trees???
  3. we have a very small yard with limited soil and flat areas that I wish i could make it a nice focal point or landscape addition. Considering buying tall, large planters and planting maybe Japanese maples or citrus trees or another tree that will tolerate being out in a large planter with drip lines attached.
    Thank you for some suggestions!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area