SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Last year for decorating graves on Mem.Day?

schoolhouse_gw
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My age is showing. A week and a half ago I planted geraniums and Dusty Miller on the six family graves. It always looks so nice afterwards, but boy oh boy this year I was so tired for like two days. It's not that much work, dig up the ground, add and mix peat moss, plant, mulch. Except our headstones are not all together, so I have to drive around the cemetery and haul everything to different areas. And it was hot! Thank goodness I do clean up in the Fall so it makes May's job much easier. Plus I have a fold-up wagon that is great.

I just went up to check to see if the cemetery had been mowed. When I was there last, they had mowed but not between the stones so I had taken my cordless grass shears along. Well, the place was neat and tidy. Still some people doing some last minute plantings, the rain has made it hard going for many. Mom and I used to go to the 9am. Memorial Day services, but after she passed in 2016 I haven't made it there.

Just talked to my 89yr.old aunt who still tries to do her family plots. She has two different cemeteries to visit - our small town cemetery and one in the nearby city. She said she was spent by the time she got to the city, but an "angel" appeared. Some guy in a pick up came up to her and started a conversation and before long, he got a rake and cleaned off all the stones and helped my aunt to decorate. She said "It was a miracle!" : ) She still drives to the town's memorial service.

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!