SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

May 2019, Week 5, More Rain in the Forecast For Most

Honestly, are there any words left to describe the flooding occurring in many portions of our state? Every day I think to myself 'maybe today it won't rain anywhere, especially in the flooded regions', and then I look at the forecast and see that rain is there yet again. If the NWS hasn't yet set a record for the most flash flooding watches and warnings, flood watches and warnings, and flood advisories issued here in Oklahoma in one month, then I think they certainly will before the end of the month. It has been non-stop. I looked at various outlooks today looking for a glimmer of hope---the 6 to 10 day, the 8 to 14 day, the one month, the three month, etc. and I just couldn't find any big bright shining ray of hope.

I hope the start of the final week of May finds everyone here still above water. I know that even those of us who aren't flooding still have a lot of soil moisture and rain-related issues. It is just one of those years.

I usually plant succession crops like crazy, which often then results in me spending hours and hours in the garden harvesting all those in the hot summer months. This year, I am dreading the heat/humidity and high heat indices that I know will plague us for months because our soils here can hold all that excess moisture for so long. I really don't want to succession plant. Nor do I want bare soil. So, I've started 80 gazillion little flower and herb seeds in little paper cups and plastic cups and, when I take out a crop at harvest time. I'm just going to succession plant flowers and herbs. Obviously I'll have to spend time plugging those little plants into the ground after harvesting a vegetable crop, but they'll be pretty easy to take care of after that. I've completely given up on planting the back garden. It is just mud and quicksand-like silty-sandy soil infested with weeds at this point, and I don't want to deal with it. By the time it dries out enough to plant, it probably won't be raining enough here and then I'd have to water it all the time, so I'm skipping it. I might use the string trimmer to cut all the weeds down to the ground and then tarp it and let it solarize this summer. I wonder how the voles back there would like that? I hope it makes them crazy, but I also hope it doesn't send them fleeing to the front garden.

The lettuce is bolting, and I am not surprised. We've been much warmer than it likes the last few days. The Swiss Chard looks a little heat stressed, but I have it at the west end of the garden in the shade of the pecan tree, so I imagine it will be fine. I think the problem it is having is that we were so cool and so wet until finally, all of a sudden, we were hot. It will adjust. The tomatoes are producing really well now and we are starting to get a lot of other varieties ripening, not just the SunSugars and Earl Girls. The short day onions are starting to fall over. I planted them extra late because our soil was so wet, and still have an occasional one just start rotting out of the blue, which means the soil still is too wet. Still, we'll get a reasonable harvest from them. They won't be big. It is a struggle to refer to them as medium sized. They're really on the small side, but they're a crop and are edible, so I am glad I planted them. Perhaps the intermediate day-length types will do better since they have a bit longer to grow in presumably better conditions. The sugar snap pea plants look pathetic. Obviously they have been too wet all along and now they are getting too hot, so I expect they'll start looking really bad soon. We'll just enjoy them as long as they last. The green beans have just begun blooming. The pepper plants are pretty happy and are doing well, so at least there's that. The potato plants look fine. I actually am surprised by how good they look (and I probably just jinxed them by saying that so tomorrow I'll probably walk out to the garden and find them covered in CPBs or disease or something).

Our lawn looks pathetic, and mowing is at the top of the list of things which must be done. We have a lot of tree pruning to do---the heavy foliage really is making limbs hang down low to the ground, so there's quite a few trees in the front yard and side yards that need to be limbed up a bit. The wildflowers in the fields look great, so there's that.

One of our neighbors was out spraying herbicide on Saturday morning and the wind was not in our favor, but he knows what he is doing and I'm not really worried about his herbicide drifting to our garden. Anyway, I have no control over whether or not it drifts. If it does, it does, and that's that.

There's a ton of stuff in bloom in the garden, perhaps the most we've ever had in bloom at one time in the month of May. I cannot take credit for that---it is just one of the benefits of heavy rainfall. I have deadheaded like crazy every time I'm out there---poppies really need to be deadheaded daily and I don't always stay that caught up on that task. I have a lot more deadheading that needs to be done. I have a lot of weeding to do too. No matter how much I weed at this time of the year (literally every single time I step foot in the garden, I weed), it never is enough and I feel like I never catch up on all the weeding that needs to be done. The daylilies have just begun to bloom. I wish I had more of them, but the mixed perennial/annual/herb border is so jam-packed that there really isn't room for more.

Getting the mowing done is hard--you have to mow around the big puddles and squishy spots (it is not funny when you get the riding mower stuck in the mud either), and everything is growing so fast that as soon as you mow, it seems like you need to mow again. Who has time for all that mowing?

All my cilantro is bolting now, but I just leave the flowers for the little pollinators and, sure enough, they are buzzing around those plants all day long.

Today a new stray cat showed up to be fed, just screaming its head off. I fed it. I don't know if it belongs to a neighbor, is a barn cat, or was dumped out here or what, but I cannot ignore a hungry cat. I fed it some dry food, which it just devoured. Then the dogs saw it, barked at it, and it ran up a tree in fear just before sunset. Nothing Tim and I said or did could get it to come down, though we finally got it to come down a bit so that it wasn't up in the tree's very tip top. I hope it comes down tonight while everything is still and quiet and, if it has a home to go home to, then I hope it goes there.

We have a ton of coons around here right now---the most we've had in years, perhaps sent fleeing from the river bottom lands nearby as the river rises. Raccoons will prey on cats, so I do hope that little cat stays safe from them tonight. Lucky, the last stray we adopted, stayed out all night quite defiantly the other night and then a coon came up on the porch and she went running to hide instead of coming in with me after I chased off the coon. She must have had a rough night out there, and I'm pretty sure she didn't sleep at all, because she slept almost nonstop for 36 hours after she finally came in.

For as much as it is raining, we haven't seen very many snakes lately. I hate to say that for fear of jinxing us in that area. Other than one too-close-for-comfort encounter with a water moccasin in my big hugelkultur/compost bed, I haven't had anything to scream and holler about. The fire ants are horrible and so are the mosquitoes, but that is typical in a very wet year.

All the forecasts and outlooks still look bad for us, rain-wise, and who knows when the rain will finally end. As long as it goes on, so does the flooding. I've been hearing some whispers about some El Nino signs fading, making it less likely that it will persist beyond summer, but even if that is true, it only partially affects how much rain we get and we might still continue in this very rainy pattern even after El Nino ends. And, if El Nino persists all summer, then will the flooding persist as well? These communities that are under water--with schools and stores and manufacturing facilities and churches all standing in water and with water standing inside them----how does the recovery start when it won't stop raining? Flooded water systems cannot really recover until the water recedes from them. It all is so interconnected. How many roadways will be undercut, torn up and destroyed after the flood water recedes? On my garden's worst day, when I look at sad plants suffering from wet roots or too much moisture on the leaves or whatever, I remind myself that we, our home, our animals and our community are in such good shape, comparatively speaking, and relatively untouched by the flooding that it seems silly to worry about a handful of plants. May we all be grateful for whatever state our gardens are in right now because things certainly could be much worse.

Have a great week everyone, and I hope y'all get a sunny day. We had one Saturday and it was glorious!

Dawn

Comments (32)