SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What are you doing over the Memorial Day weekend?

3katz4me
4 years ago

We are at our lake cabin. Kind of warming up - 60s. Enjoying things finally getting green and the sounds of spring outdoors. I’m doing spring cleanup outside, screen porch, etc. and planting some flower pots. I bought a new Stilhl piece of equipmeant for keeping the woods at bay - brush cutting, pruning, etc. Will try that out. May have some friends over for dinner - grilling some chicken and steak. Probably go to the range for golf practice.

Comments (65)

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

I myself don't plan on anything except for sitting pretty with a lovely warm smile, cleaning discreetly, and making myself sparce-my DD brought two her besties from uni, drove yesterday to get them in LA-one works there, another one flew in from Arizona. will be hosting them until Monday. I can predict my DD be relentlessly cooking as far as I know her. She loves to cook. Not my genes.

So the house if full of girlish giggles and laughter and all sorts of merry sounds like that. It's actually very enjoyable..at least now when my migraine medication started kicking in.

One friend is engaged (my DD will be a bridesmaid. to me, it's all like a movie) and I was called to admire the ring. I think I never saw diamonds so close. I'm evolving.

I love Laguna for its art scene, and my favorite restaurants with mojito, and general atmosphere. We always start with Laguna Beach and Mission of San Juan Capistrano when we have long-term guests. So they can easy into their very packed schedule lol. California is vast and beautiful beyond words.

We actually plan to go to Paso Robles(one of our favorite destinations) next weekend-we'll have an annual get-together there , that's another forum I participate in. Russian speaking. We've been meeting for...12, 13 years already? We would meet pretty often..fly from different states, sometimes even countries..different folks would host, including us sometimes , or we'd rent a place if it's far away..now everybody's getting older, and things change for many. Things change. We change. Or not. Hard to say. But in any case, we do keep this tradition of getting together in early summer.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Helping our son move around the corner to a new apartment. The challenge? City. Alley. 3rd floor walk-up 3-bedroom, LR, Kitchen on a thoroughfare with good parking to studio on a neighborhood street with less parking. There is an alley, but you can't block it for long. I don't which of the current furniture and kitchen stuff is his, or his roommates, who are also moving to new places.

Also continuing to empty cabinets at my parents' house to get ready to sell. Yesterday did a cabinet full of 1970s magazines on economics and home decorating. Tells you a lot. I'm going to share some pictures from the home mags along the way in another thread.

• Related Discussions

Memorial Day Weekend, eating from your garden yet?

Q

Comments (42)
    SlimeyOkra, your weather sounds much like ours. It's been a VERY dry spring - only had 4/10 of rain so far - which has been very welcome given all the flooding we've had here for the past four years. Some of the farmers around us are finally reclaiming some of their land. :) We don't really grow greens most years, but have been eating asparagus and rhubarb for over a week now. I'm still putting out transplants, which isn't unusual for early June for us. Tomatoes and peppers and pole beans are the last to go out. I don't do much fussing to get early crops. The peas are up nicely, though. This year was the earliest I've ever gotten them planted!
    ...See More

Are you quilting this weekend? US Memorial Day

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, Linda - I'm making miniature tops for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. Last weekend I made the first 4 blocks of Nancy Rink's Civil War BOM and it had a squillion stitch & flip flying geese and square-in-a-square pieces. I sewed the corners into HSTs as I was going, so yesterday I made 4 little tops from those HSTs, and I still have enough for 2 or 3 more. I also have a bunch of blue & yellow HSTs from a previous project. I'm going to work with those today. DH may be putting up track lighting in my sewing room this weekend, too, so I'll probably help with that. And I may help with the yard work if he wants me to. He's been under the weather for a couple of weeks. Donna
    ...See More

Rockybird et al.....driving from Phx to So Cal Memorial Day weekend

Q

Comments (14)
    No, from Phx to Long beach you want to take the 10 to the 91. You do NOT want to take the 10 in and then go south (there is no going over and up when you're coming in from AZ. The Green River/ Yorba Linda area (by Corona) is always backed up- any time if day, any day if the week so you'll have to resign yourself to it slowing through there or somewhere else if you pick another route. It's just traffic. ;) I'm from Phx and live in SoCal, I've done the drive a million times. i would leave Phx early Sat morning and plan on 6 1/2 hours. I personally love the drive through the desert, the AZ desert is beautiful.
    ...See More

Memorial Day Weekend 2017 Severe Weather Check-In Thread

Q

Comments (9)
    It was a dark and stormy night and our weather radio went off for at least 4 hours nonstop as tornadic circulations danced through the skies near us, but not many made it to the ground. A tornado touched down near Ringling in the county adjacent to us and headed towards Wilson, Healdton and Lone Grove. After spotters confirmed power flashes and a tornado on the ground near Ringling, they got a Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Warning and that got everyone in our county stirred up. And, that was the way it should been because all those communities at risk are right along the Carter-Love county line, so folks living near there should have been watching and even heading for shelter. We had spotters out, lots of traffic on our GroupMe app and radios, etc. but all we got out of this was hail, rain and wind as far as I know. Our final tornado warning, for the one seemingly headed towards us, was abruptly cancelled when that supercell abruptly jumped the river and headed away from us. Then we got pounded by a severe thunderstorm that dropped 1.25" of rain (more than we'd had the whole month of May so far) and, in some parts of our neighhborhood but not here, hail. I was more worried about hail than tornadoes because I have some huge onions bulbed up above ground but not yet developing soft necks. I had to resist the urge around midnight to run yank them out of the ground for their own good as big hail approached parts of our county. I found no damage in the garden except for 1 onion with a snapped neck (it wasn't at the soft neck stage so the wind merely broke its neck early), a rain gauge blown over and lying on the ground and another rain gauge totally missing. Ok, I'm out for the day. Y'all have a good time and let's be thankful that the wicked weather seemingly did little damage and missed most all of us. I hope the folks who haven't checked in are okay. I haven't watched the news yet to hear how folks outside of OK fared. I hope the damage across the country isn't as bad as they feared it would be. From watching TWC last night, I suspect there is a lot of wind damage in some areas across the country.
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    4 years ago

Memorial Day weekend is usually pretty low key for us because my father died on May 27th 20 years ago. My 2nd DD's birthday is 5/30 and we had Dad's funeral on her 14th birthday.

Then 7 years ago my MIL died on 5/28.

5/30 is also my eldest DD's DH's birthday-so we usually celebrate the two kids birthday on their actual birthday and not on the holiday weekend-unless it falls on the weekend.

That being said, this weekend I'm crossing off a lot of little honey-do list items. I went to a couple hardware stores to pick up items needed and I'm anxious to get out the power tools to get things done. Also hoping to convince DH to get up on the step ladder to change out lightbulbs and put up the smoke detectors instead of them setting on tables.

Our weather is chilly and we're expecting rain. You never, ever know what it will be like on Memorial Day weekend here. But we usually expect it to be chilly-most people don't even plan to put out the sunshades till after July 4! lol

• maddielee
    4 years ago

We are at our lake cabin. Pulled some weeds while my husband mowed earlier. Here is what we are doing until Monday when friends and family join us.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Maddie, that is heaven.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Happy to be home and go to to the Y after being away last weekend and then to NYC :)

We are making pork BBQ. I leave for my conference on Monday. Going to be 95 degrees for the next week--ugh--both here and where I'm going. I will pack my bathing suit, but not really wanting to appear among professional colleagues in my bathing suit! Last time the conference was in this location, I stayed at a different hotel.

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Running.....we were where you are a year ago. Lived in our modest tract house for 33 years and, like you, I touched every inch of that place in a true love/hate relationship. It was never my dream home, but when the reality of moving set in I "saw" the years and memories of raising the kids there everywhere I looked.....where they used to swing, the playhouse/sandbox DH made, all the kids' bedroom changes---colors, bedspreads, wallpaper, etc..... throughout the years. I still get teary when I think about it and am not yet able to drive by when we go back to visit two of the kids. I guess it's odd, I miss the memories we made in the house but not necessarily the neighborhood or the area.

But in in many ways the move has been good. DH is all-in, loves our new area and has never looked back. I am not quite there yet, but have made some friends and am having fun decorating a new house.

We are low low key here this weekend as most of our friends are out of town. There's a community get together Monday which we may do if it isn't too hot. Other than that, I have some house projects....reorganizing my closet and am attempting making a window seat cushion. Also online shopping for patio furniture, fabric, garage storage cabinets and a new lamp....whoopee!

• blue bayou
    4 years ago

Preparing my outdoor shower area for the season, then a barbecue with friends and lots of cold sangria. Getting into the low 90's here tomorrow (NJ). (We don't do "Spring" anymore.)

• czarinalex
    4 years ago

Just got back from driving my son to look at(and buy) a used car. 3.5 hours round trip. Off to a neighbors house for a low key BBQ. Tomorrow we're headed to a family BBQ. Monday is my MIL's 94th birthday. We are taking her to lunch. She thinks it's just DH and I, but 6 of her grandchildren are meeting us there. I know she will be thrilled. It's been a busy week... looking forward to relaxing next week!

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

No party plans for us this year. DD is spending the weekend up at her place packing, as she starts her new job on Tuesday and is moving to her new apartment (in the same complex) on Thursday. DS &DIL are in Augusta. We’ll be flying out to see them next month. Our best friends are out of town, sooooo it’s just DH & I.

We hit Costco right after it opened this morning and then a big plant nursery for some Red Yuccas, yellow yarrow and a few other good size specimen bushes to fill in where things died over the Winter. We now have a part time gardener who will be helping us plant them this weekend. This evening we’re meeting good friends for dinner at our favorite New Mexican restaurant. The rest of the weekend we’re just planning on gardening, grilling out in the evenings and relaxing.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Joanie, I think we miss those years when everything was ahead of us and anything seemed possible.

• lisaam
    4 years ago

It's been a working weekend but I'm free now. My business catered a wedding at a local vineyard last night and this morning we did the day-after brunch.

I also delivered cakes and cupcakes for 2 different weddings this afternoon--completely different vibes at each place. One was in a church hall, casual, self catered by friends and family. The second was small and elegant in a lovely home. The flowers for the cake were the most heart-breakingly beautiful ranunculas and roses.

Tomorrow is my first day off in 10 days and I get to go to yoga. My back needs it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

Mtn, I think that plant may be one of the variegated sedums. Hard to tell without a close-up.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

My parents are here! Usually I spend Memorial Day weekend opening up my cottage, but this year my parents came to visit. We spent much of the day at Longwood Gardens. It was beautifuL (and packed!) and I was so happy to share it with my folks.

Running, I moved in August from my adopted home town of 15 years. It was hard to leave, but I was also itching to start my new life in a new state. In retrospect, it has been so much easier than I imagined.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

I'm retired, but.

This morning a local friend and I sprayed down many of my chickens with Blue-kote, to keep other chickens from picking at them. Then I went to the local community center to drop off a dozen eggs, and get an upper body / chair massage. And find out about local town activities for Sunday.

Sunday I'll get the dump trash ready, and, well, DUMP it. Then, there's a trip around town where we replace the flags and plant geraniums by veterans' graves. I'll stay as long as I can, but then I'm driving down to CT to attend a talk on Native American stone artifacts in New England, including any spiritual practices that might be ascertained.

After, I drive back up here. I think there'll be a pizza slice somewhere along the way.

Monday is open. I think I will attempt to make vegetarian burgers for my blog, if they work out. Also yard and gardening necessities.

EDIT, if I could be at two places at the same time, I'd also be at the Cummington Sheep and Wool Festival. Alas, no can do! And alas, not open on Monday...

• pennydesign
    4 years ago

Nothing. Working on a 20's dress for my daughter :-/

April and Lars, my daughters live in Mission Viejo, and when we go visit we end up in Laguna Beach...I love the Sawdust Festival and Pageant of the Masters...and that little French restaurant overlooking the ocean that has Macarons...We've been to the Mission a couple of times and absolutely love having tea at the shop in the Historic District...

• satine_gw
    4 years ago

This morning I helped at a community bike parade helping the kids decorate their bikes, wagons and scooters. We had a pretty good turnout-about 25 kids. This is the first year we have done this and we got such good feedback we will probably do it again next year. Tomorrow my middle daughter and her family are coming here for a cookout. We'll have hotdogs, ribs, baked beans, pasta salad and strawberry shortcake. Monday I will just hang out at home and may play some maj jong.

• suero
    4 years ago

We have the grands for a sleepover so their parents can really celebrate their anniversary.

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

Penny..I live in Mission Viejo..

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

We've spent the last few days working on replacing mulch with stone. Last fall had the house exterior repainted because 1- last paint did not hold up well and 2- had artillery fungus from the mulch explode over the siding. Ran out of time last fall to switch to stone, so the project finally took off a few days ago. Backbreaking work and will be glad when it's done. A little family gathering tomorrow but no other plans.

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I went to a very nice wedding a couple of hours drive away yesterday, with some yard work before. Today is yard work and laundry. Tomorrow may be a Netflix day.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

How enjoyable it is to read about everyone's activities this weekend.

Mtn - it does look like a variegated sedum -or euonymus. If the leaves are thick like a succulent it might be variegated sedum makinoi.

We harvested the last of the lettuce yesterday before it bolted and finished planting most of our seasonal beds around the house - red crape myrtle, 150 Sunpatiens (our new favorite annual) , geraniums, autumn daisies, a couple hanging baskets. In the shaded woods behind the house we added several varieties of ferns, astilbe and more hellebores - things the deer don't eat.

As soon as DS #1 gets his act together we'll go to his house for a cook out - which may be today or tomorrow. But with a 6 week old baby it doesn't really matter as long as I get to practice my incipient grandmothering.

DS#2 has a new girlfriend and went to visit her so we have Willis, his dog for the weekend.

And DD is probably doing nothing except enjoying her holiday and catching up on home chores.

We're heading to our place in upstate PA in a few days. We haven't been there in several months so DH had the windows washed, the house cleaned and the landscaper freshened the beds and mulched.

• cran
    4 years ago

Love reading about everyone and their busy lives. Running I feel the same way about our home as you so beautifully described. We been here for over 30 years and know the time is coming to leave our beloved home. Memorial day is full of celebrations in my area. Yesterday my garden club had a plant and bake sale on the library lawn which is on a quaint Main Street. Tomorrow is the big parade. One fire engine, lots of flag decorated bikes, boy and Girl Scouts and the Veterans marching. Directly in front of our house is a small memorial park where a short ceremony is held along with a gun/musket

salute. The parade continues 1/2 mile to the cemetery with prayers,poems, and God Bless America. Then hot dogs and games at yet another park. Fingers crossed the weather looks perfect.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Running, I find it interesting that the couple that bought your home that seem to be close in age to you.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Yesterday and tomorrow morning will be spending my time similar to bpath, working on getting my mom’s house ready for an estate sale and to sell. She recently moved into Assisted Living. The house is a packed 5 bedroom home, that for the most part has not been updated since originally purchased in the 1960’s. Overwhelming project. Today we are going to a family brunch to celebrate my husband’s aunt’s 79th birthday. She requested brunch at a Mexican restaurant, looking forward to a yummy margarita. Then some time working around my home and relaxing tonight.

Barbecue with family tomorrow evening.

• alex9179
    4 years ago

Our neighbors are having a hotdog cookout this evening. I'll spend the day in the kitchen making bacon jam and a slaw to top the dogs. Juicing fruit for a non-alcoholic mixed drink to make for the kids, and a stiffer one for 21 and over.

I might make sandwich bread for the kids. Unpack a box from our move...last January. I'd like to check out a consignment store for dressers. It's been hard to find storage pieces that I like, at a price I want to pay ;)

• misforminkGW
    4 years ago

Alex- Bacon jam is amazing!

Mostly outside playing and relaxing. I was going to say garden and landscaping but that was all DH and the boys. :)

Getting together later with family for dinner.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Alex- bacon jam? I had to google it - and it sounds delicious. Do you use it as a topping for the hot dogs? It looks like there are lots of ways to serve it - as a side dish, on bread, an appetizer, on a grilled cheese, on BLT, stuffed chicken.......

where I have been that I haven't tried it?

Maire

• pudgeder
    4 years ago

#1 Grandson spent the night Saturday and he & Papa are out on adventures today. Today I am cleaning & tidying. Will do come freezer cooking later.

Tomorrow we may take the elder grands to lunch & a movie. After that, I'll be getting ready for hip replacement on Tuesday morning. Recovering was not exactly how I had planned to spend my 1st summer off from work.

Enjoy everyone!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Wishing you a speedy recovery, pudgeder!

• teeda
    4 years ago

Started the weekend opening our lake cabin in the Adirondacks. Got the dock in and water on, etc., but DH slipped on wet grass and tore a leg muscle. So back home to address that. Did a little annual container planting today, along with food prep for a casual lunch tomorrow with my elderly parents. If they're up to it we may attend the hometown parade--all of us offspring and many grandchildren marched in it over the years. If not, we'll have a simple lunch on their patio. Weather is beautiful here in New England.

• alex9179
    4 years ago

Alex- bacon jam? I had to google it - and it sounds delicious. Do you use it as a topping for the hot dogs? It looks like there are lots of ways to serve it - as a side dish, on bread, an appetizer, on a grilled cheese, on BLT, stuffed chicken.......

It's delicious on so many things! We first used it for sliders/hamburgers. It's fantastic on waffles/pancakes and biscuits. Just an all-round wonderful condiment. I use Meathead Goldwyn's recipe in his book, not the one on the website. I can paraphrase if anyone wants it.

I don't love hotdogs, but I do love bacon jam and any slaw so those will be my toppings :D

• chispa
    4 years ago

Not much going on in our house. Our town has lots of outdoor activities for the weekend, but it is raining and "freezing" ... by So. CA standards! Only in the 50s today. At least there will be no fire risk if they do go ahead with fireworks tonight.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

We have had a busy week, so today has been a day of rest and tomorrow we will go to the lake. We returned from a little vacation on Wednesday, went to DGD#2’s high school graduation Thursday night, back to a grad party with the rest of the family on Friday night. Our son and his family live 2 hours away and we couldn’t get a hotel room due to the NCAA baseball games being played nearby so had to drive back. It was ok since I really needed to do laundry and catch up at home.

Then yesterday we went to a cookout with friends and celebrated DH’s birthday. We were pretty much worn out and didn’t do much today except grill out. It is way too hot. Tomorrow we will do pretty much the same at the lake.

edited to add, Pudgeder, hope your surgery goes well. DH had hip replacement in November and he did great. Only used a walker a couple of times and same with a cane. Message me if you want a few tips.

• nini804
    4 years ago

Nothing major....we are really enjoying having ds home from college. His camp counselor job doesn‘t start until next week, so we’ve been doing a lot of family things. Dd just finished 10th grade, and she and I have been busy this weekend making sure we have everything on her packing list for her big trip to Slovenia at the end of June. REI is having a big sale, thank goodnes!

Having a little cookout tonight and playing in our yard today.

My little side hydrangea garden is making my heart sing right now:

The bushes are so full they are spilling over the walk. Dh is threatening to prune them. I told him over my dead body!! :)

One more...taken from the other direction. The arbor is covered in Confederate Jasmine which just finished blooming. The scent was intoxicating the past few weeks.

• pennydesign
    4 years ago

nini, your hydrangea (your whole garden, really) makes my heart sing, too :)

• misforminkGW
    4 years ago

Alex yes please for the recipe!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago

Pudgeder, I hope you have a speedy recovery as well!! I can imagine it's a bit unsettling having this on the horizon. The worst should be over soon and you'll be better than before.

I am unexpectedly considering buying a new house. I have spent the weekend tweaking it in my mind.

nini, what a glorious profusion of hydrangeas! They are incredibly cheerful looking.

While the house we are considering is better than our current one in practically every way- the exception is the garden- it lacks charm and cheerfulness- and planning gardens is not my string suit.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Oh, Nini, those are breathtaking! How beautiful. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Alex, I've made bacon jam, too. I'm not one for sweet/savory combos, but it was really very good. I've served it over sliced brie on crackers as an appetizer, and like it with any cheese (blue cheese esp). My family will eat it on burgers and sandwiches, too. I don't have a specific recipe--I just google it and find the general specs.

We had parties and festivities this weekend, and this afternoon, I'm supposed to be doing yard work. But it's raining so I'm wasting time on the internet.

Running, we will be selling our home where we raised our children in the next year or so. It will break my heart, and I'm mentally preparing for it already. Thanks for your thoughtful post.

ETA, Mtn, that does look like a variegated sedum ground cover.

4 years ago

Yikes, status change. We are buying the new house. Our offer was accepted. I am pretty excited!

• pudgeder
    4 years ago

Congrats Rita!! Can't wait to see some photos!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Congratulations, Rita!

I've been keeping a secret for 6 weeks, but DD2 and her DH announced to the rest of the family today they are having a baby! This is our 3rd grandchild, and we already have one of each, so healthy and happy plus the same for DD2 is my wish. I'm so EXCITED!! DD2 already has a boy, so she's hoping for a girl to be different. LOL

4 years ago

Thank you so much pudgeder. I will post some photos soon.

What wonderful news, allison! There is nothing better than a new baby in the family- pure joy and happiness straight from heaven.

PS Keeping the news to yourself for six weeks must have been difficult.

• cran
    4 years ago

nini I just love your hydrangeas, in this area they are just starting to get buds. My new neighbor just planted 15 blue ones out front and down the side of his yard. Beautiful ! Congratulations Allison on your wonderful news. Ten year’s ago DD1 was expecting twins and asked me not to say anything boy that was a hard secret to keep. I did tell a women behind me in the grocery store check out line.I was so excited had to tell someone.

• cran
    4 years ago

Congratulations Rita on your new home. What Exciting news!!

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Nini, your hydrangeas are stunning.

Thank you, cran and Rita. Yes, it was hard to keep! Especially this last week. I was given permission to tell one of my out of state friends, so at least I got to tell someone (or I would have been telling the person in the check out line too! LOL)

• alex9179
    4 years ago

What wonderful news, Allison!

Rita, I can't wait to see your new house.

Bacon Jam from Meathead, makes ~2 cups, takes 2-3 hrs (mostly reducing the liquid)

1 lb bacon

2 onions, thinly sliced

4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 cup water

1/4 c inexpensive balsamic vinegar

1/4 c maple syrup

3 T packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp dried thyme or rosemary

1/4 tsp ground pepper

splash of hot sauce optional

Cut bacon into 1/4 inch slices and cook over medium heat until golden. Drain on paper towels. Pour off most of the grease, add the onion, cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and cook until the sauce is thick. This takes quite a while, though hands off except for occasionally stirring, and works best if you use your widest skillet or sauté. Once it looks like jam, remove from heat and cool. Best at room temp or warmed.

I usually double it and freeze jars for future use and/or presents. It was a huge hit last night. Nobody had ever heard of it!

• DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

New baby, new house, bacon jam - OH, MY!

• bpath
    4 years ago

Great day!

We helped DS move some of his stuff around the corner to his new place, pretty well done before the rains opened up. And we brought a couple of things home; going from 5 rooms to a studio means everything doesn't fit...like the dining table.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Alex - thanks for the recipe. I know what I'll be making next week when we're up the mountains and the kids come for a visit.

Nini - beautiful hydrangeas. I left 6 behind when we moved and I only have limelight and oak leaf here. I'm eyeing a spot for some Blue Billow and Endless Summer.

Rita - that's wonderful news.

Running - hope the move goes smoothly.

Rita - that was fast. But as long as you love the house the yard and garden will take shape.

Good luck tomorrow Pudgeder.