SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Coast to Coast to replace lazy Jimmy Crack Corn?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a 4 year old Jimmy Crack Corn that has never produced more than 3 leaves. Was a 2L pot when planted. Meanwhile, plants nearby have grown very well. This is my "Hosta Paradise" bed, where plants fight to get in. I've lost patience with Lazy Jimmy, who doesn't know when he's got it good. He can go out BACK! To the slope! Or the swamp!

Thinking about trading it for a Shadowland Coast to Coast I bought last fall and planted in a holding bed. Coast to Coast was very big, many eyes, when I bought it. So far it's only put out a few leaves. But based on what it was when planted, I am expecting a pretty full plant. The holding bed is rather shady so I think that may slow emergence.

Can anyone compare these 2? Some good height in that spot would be good. It's backed by a Blue Angel. Coast To Coast is supposed to get tall, 30". Jimmy was supposed to get to 24" . The reality was more like 6".

I am also wondering if either of these is exceptionally slow. Or is they have unusual requirements like shallow planting, need more sun, etc.

(sorry about the fuzzy pic, it was almost dark and that's how my phone compensates)

Comments (6)