SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_southworth

Please help me decide on a paint color!

Meredith Southworth
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm having a hard time deciding on paint colors for my formal dining room and would really appreciate your help.

It's a new construction, but we are doing everything we can to make the house look like it's been there for a hundred years. We have gorgeous chunky crown moldings and Craftsman trim on all the doors and windows. I love bright, airy spaces, so all our interior paint colors so far are very neutral. We're using Sherwin Williams White Heron or Alabaster on almost every wall in the house. It's a big farmhouse with a wraparound porch in the middle of mostly-open farmland. I am not a fan of the forced-farmhouse look (i.e., shabby chic everything and metal stuff hanging from walls). I would describe my style as a mix of eclectic and classical. The only room that is keeping me up at night is the dining room. That's because, in addition to my love for neutral colors, I LOVE bold, eclectic spaces that spark creativity and fun.

Here is what I mean:

(source: Pinterest/Apartment Therapy)

(source: Young House Love)

I love both of these spaces. I love the boldness of the blue, especially the contrast with the white trim. But I also love the the neutral room. It feels fresh and relaxed.

The room faces east, and our floors will be made of recycled wood from a barn on my family's property. Here's a photo of an approximate color of our floors from our flooring folks' Facebook page:

We will have mixed wood furniture, including a stained french door and a pretty cherry china cabinet with our navy blue and white china. The room is approximately 9x15.

Our light fixture is a huge Anthropologie chandelier made of white shells.

There will be a large entryway to the foyer from the dining room, and I've planned for SW Alabaster in there (although I'm flexible with that decision). We have no rug yet for the dining room, but the foyer will contain a mostly blue Turkish rug and a navy and beige herringbone runner up the stairs.

Since we will be only using that room for entertaining guests, it's important to me that the room feel inviting, fun, and intimate. Also, as most of our entertainment will take place at night, I need it to look nice in the absence of natural light.

Here are some photos of colors we have tried. The lightest white is Alabaster, the next shade darker is White Heron. The beige (which I really don't like in that room) is called Accessible Beige, and the blue is Charcoal Blue (which I think may be slightly too dark).

I realize the dark blue is just so different from the whites and it will ultimately come down to whether I prefer dark or light, but I love them both and can't decide! What are your thoughts?

BTW, here's our house in its current state. My husband and I designed everything about it ourselves, and we are so excited to see our dream coming to fruition.

Comments (13)