SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt98svt

shed roof style homes

matt98svt
4 years ago

I am looking to build a very simple and energy efficient design of approx 1300-1600 sq ft. I have been drawn to many of the shed style roof plans that have a modern look but would also seem to cost less than a gable roof. The flat slanted surface would seem to be perfect as solar is a must for this home. I worked construction for a few years but have never actually seen the inner workings of a shed roof construction. Anyone here live in or have build a shed roof home? I’m guessing it’s just a series or trusses that span the width of the house with one end of the on the taller wall and one on the lower wall. Any real downside to this type of design? I live in upstate SC where we have very little cold and our challenge is mainly the summer heat. With this design it would seem you could face the main wall of windows away from the summer sun which would it right over the solar panels most of the day. I’m not worried about an attic and plan to use mini split ac/heat so will not have to run any duct work. The house would be constructed on a slab. Here is a plan I found below that’s the general idea of what I’m talking about. Any input welcome on the pros and cons and cost to build a design like this is welcome
Thanks

Comments (7)