SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendy_calle

converting a bedroom into a master bath/walk in closet - layout help

Wendy Callendar
4 years ago

I'm converting a 10.5' x 12.5' room into a combination master bathroom and walk in closet. I've come up with some layout ideas, and would love some opinions or suggestions for things I may have not thought of.

In all of my drawings 1 square = 6".

Requirements/wish list:

*The bathroom needs to be on the hallway side for water/sewer access.

*Ideally, space should be saved for a closet for the neighbouring bedroom. It is currently used as a spare room, but that won't always be the case. The opposite side of the spare room is the furnace room and we can steal space for a 3 foot closet from there, so we don't need to create a huge closet here, and if we're super stingy, we could skip the closet all together.

*A 5' dresser needs to fit in the closet; there's no room in the bedroom space for it. (If necessary I will sell it and get a 4' dresser, but would prefer not to)

*I don't want to have to worry about the steam from my shower affecting my clothes, so some barrier between the closet and the bathroom (even if it's just a pocket door that's only ever closed while the shower is on)

*Walk in shower (ideally 5' x 3'), no tub.

*Water closet

*I can't take any space from the master bedroom - the master bedroom is the result of an addition that was put on the house and the foundation wasn't cut all the way through to separate the two rooms, so there's a concrete wall that extends from the exterior wall 21" into the room and 5'8" into the room from the hallway wall (this is represented by the wall that is 1' wide between the bedroom and the bathroom/closet). This obviously also restricts the area where we can enter this space from the bedroom.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3 (note that there are two options for the dresser here. not sure either is ideal)

Comments (11)