SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosiewells7b

Best climbing rose options for house

rosiewells7b
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello all!

I am heading to Roses Unlimited tomorrow and was hoping to pick y'all’s brain on what rose would be best suited for my spot.

The area it is going in is North facing and measures 12.5 feet long by three feet deep. Height ranges from 9.5-11 feet.

I am really hoping to find find something that has great blackspot resistance, great rebloom, and an amazing scent. This area is very visible and a highly trafficked area so I am really hoping for something that will provide a wow factor for both my husband and myself as well as any guests/people driving by.

Color wise: I tend to avoid yellow. I do have a Peggy Martin down the path on one of our decks so am not sure a similar pink would be the best fit? I have been eyeballing The Generous Gardener and would love to hear your thoughts. My fear is that it might be too much pink?

Look forward to hearing your ideas!

Rosie

Adding in my first full year Peggy Martin for some eye candy :)

Comments (47)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Madame Alfred Carriere. It should climb in your zone, is fragrant, gorgeous and would blend well with almost anything.

rosiewells7b thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Great idea, vapor. North facing, hybrid musks could be second choice options.

rosiewells7b thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

The best climbing roses

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you Seil I see what you mean about being cane hardy! My grandmother had in the 60's a climber that went up to the second floor of the 2 family house, also in NY not far from me now. But I know that's far few and in between but it was a beautiful red climber. Here I don't have that sort of room. I was considering John Cabot because that's the color I'm looking for and Heirloom has it, but it seems it can get very wide. I guess I would need something more compact. If that doesn't work for my area I'm considering a shrub rose rather than a climber. Thanks for sharing, Seil I have learned something new!
    ...See More

Best Climbing Rose for an Arbor

Q

Comments (24)
    FD is new this year and I have her on her own root. No scent that I can detect yet, but truly, I have not bent these old bones down to where she is currently blooming to check and see. Plus, due to our heat and sun, fragrance is a fleeting thing here. The breeder, Burling stated she would get to be about 7 feet. I think she will exceed that. She has just taken off in our surface of the sun heat and she is in full, direct sunlight all day. Burling who bred this rose is about 60 miles south of me and is about 5--10 degrees cooler in the summertime than I am. I am about 5--10 degrees cooler than Las Vegas in the summer, generally, but for most of the summer, we have about the same temps and it doesn't cool off here at night very much, just like where you live. She is healthy and vigorous and I was a bit concerned that her flowers were starting to look a little ugly, (she is still very much a baby). Then today, I saw a Blue Jay attack the flower and eat it! No wonder they are looking a bit scrappy! I have never seen a bird eat flowers before. With this drought, they must be really hungry. Burling breeds her roses for health first and then beauty. I love FD. She is beautiful!
    ...See More

best white climbing rose for zone 8a

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Deidre, Here is a link to an older discussion about climbing roses. New Dawn and Clotilde Soupert climbing rose are good choices according to this thread. http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2144699/what-are-good-climbing-roses-for-beginners
    ...See More

Ever-blooming cottage style arch rose recs?

Q

Comments (26)
    So do you mean two types total, one of each on each side? That's a tough one. Can't you just have a double arch and then we won't have to make such hard decisions? FWIW, I've tried to alternate thorny with not-so-thorny, fragrant with less fragrant. I'll let others in your locale advise on choices, but you have some good ones. P.S, Here's another one that I have as a cutting. I believe Jeri said it will grow large in CA. Climbing Jackie.
    ...See More
  • rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor, I looked up Madame Alfred Carrriere and she looks gorgeous. Do you think she might be too big for that spot? And what would you say the difference might be between her and TGG? I think one of my biggest checks that I need to have checked is blackspot resistance so that is definitely going to play a large part in my decision.

Sheila, what hybrid musks might you be thinking of?

I wrote to Pat at RU and she came back with these options as well:

The nearest to color and all the other request might be Kiss Me Kate. It is not as high as what you wanted but all the rest is good. Helpmefind has a picture. I grow this one. In my years of trying to attach to brick is that the brick is very hot. A trellis or arch might be best.

Cloud Ten is a good white and the height meets your expectations.

The David Austin, The Generous Gardener might also work. I just have not grown it but the literature says good in what you are wanting.

Florentina is a great, great red but not the color you specified. No fragrance.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Realized I had forgotten to add a picture of the spot this will be going. We will be taking out the three bushes.

4 years ago

MAC experienced die-back in the crappy spot I had her so that would be a check on her growth here. I think she'd look fabulous on that fence in front of your charming house! I don't grow TGG so can't comment. Another one to consider is Renae. Take a look at some of Lilyfinch's pictures for a vision of what it can be. Sally Holmes would also be gorgeous with a large flower. Of course, you are one zone warmer, so YMMV, but my best HMs that are in the ground are Bubble Bath, Belinda and Felicia.I love climbers and have quite a few, but many are still in pots so I can't rightly judge their health or size.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor, I really appreciate your help! I do want to clarify that i am planning on putting the rose where the current bushes are. The bed they are in is on the other side is the fence. We plan on redoing all of our decking and rails so I can’t put too much stuff there just quite yet. I tried to find Lilyfinch’s pictures of Renae and was unable to find them. I think Sally Holmes is charming and will have to check if RU carries her.

Bubble Bath looks gorgeous. I love her sweet flowers. Do you think she would blend in too much since I have my Peggy Martin right down the fence line.

This home is our our forever home so we are trying to do things the right way. Even if it means it takes longer. It has been such a dream come true to finally be able to plant roses and other plants and know that I never have to leave them. My husband and I are doing all the renovation work ourselves too so that adds on to the time it takes. I find myself staring out all my windows a lot and just pinching myself that we have this house and place for all my plants.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Felicia and Cornelia are wonderfully fragrant. So are Penelope and Sombreuil. I love the idea of MAC or another light color to contrast on the dark fence. A creamy colored rose would echo the cream doors and create a balance of color on that side.

:-)

rosiewells7b thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perma,

I looked up Sombreill and while beautiful I do see that she is quite thorny. This will be in an area where people walk by her all the time so that might be a bit worrisome? Will definitely keep her in mind for another area though! The pictures I found online are quite spectacular. And I do agree that a creamy rose could be really special in the spot. Let me know if you have any other options in that color range, please.

Although, I am thinking MAC might just fit that bill. Will have to see if RU has any tomorrow when I go.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

A north-facing wall won't get much direct sunlight, so I second what Sheila and Vaporvac suggested: MAC or a hybrid musk. I know of a very old MAC growing in just such a situation -- you may not get many blooms on something that needs more sun, and blackspot susceptibility will be increased in the shade.

• Rosefolly
    4 years ago

Disease in general will be worse on the north of a house since the rose is under stress. I have two Leander roses climbing on supports. One is on the north side of my house. It starts getting powdery mildew every year right around this time, getting worse as the summer advances. The other one is in full sun on the chain link fence in the back. It gets hardly any PM at all.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

K S and Rosefolly,

Good points about the sun exposure. I will definitely keep that in mind and also one of the reasons the rose health needs to be on the higher side. To hopefully lesson and stress/issues it might have.

4 years ago

OK. Confession. HMs are about my favourite class in addition to polyanthas. A beautiful creamy white to consider is Prosperity. I'll post some pics in a second. Bubble Bath has thorns, but more prickly than skin tearing.I would also take a look at Kathleen Harrop, the paler pink version of Zephrine Drouhin. She's meant to be healthier and more prolific. There was a recent post (by Sara-Ann I think). If I remember I'll try to find it and some pics of Lf's Renae. However, I'm not sure how the latter would do on a north facing wall. If I knew for sure about repeat bloom, I'd suggest Ghislaine de Feligonde. Rock solid health regarding BS and thriving in a spot that practically killed three other roses.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor,

What a confession. Prosperity looks magical. Checking her out right now and loving what I’m reading/seeing. I would love to see your pictures of this one. Ugh, these kinds of decisions are so hard! Each rose has qualities that you can’t help but love and want.

I‘m also really drawn to Ghislaine de Feligonde. I love roses that are smaller and bloom in clusters. They seem to last longer as well, if I am not mistaken? And for you to comment that it is a rock solid rose makes it even more appealing. I really don’t want to have such a focal point location be one where I am fighting disease. That would be so disheartening.

I just wrote Pat at RU to see if she happens to have any Ghislaine de Feligonde in stock. Otherwise, not sure where I would get one? She is the only place I have ordered from in the past.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor, they are all exquisite. Thank you again for all your help! And for the lovely pictures :)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

I got Excellenz von Schubert from Burlington. I asked Burling for her favorite thornless rose. I had never heard of it before that. HMF says it has thorns but Burling’s EvS is smooth. I planted it last fall against a NE facing wall so full sun for maybe 5 hours each day. It is so healthy and happy just started sending out long canes. The only rose, planted last fall that is more vigorous is Peggy Martin, which gets a few hours less sun than EvS, maybe 3 hours of sun. Both PM and EvS have spotless glossy beautiful foliage. EvS is a lovely Mauve color with small 1-2 inch blooms. The bush picture is before EvS started shooting up 2 canes that are 3 feet tall now and growing.
    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.1758&tab=1

rosiewells7b thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Oh and I forgot to mention that many nurseries are apparently selling Gartendirektor Otto Linne as EvS. GOL is the same except pink, not mauve, blooms and quite thorny. Burlington has the real deal!

rosiewells7b thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Stephanie, thank you for your lovely suggestions as well. I was already at RU and ended up going with The Generous Gardener for another spot and also picked up a Rouge Royale. Funny enough, right down the side of the fence on the other side of the opening is my Peggy Martin. She’s definitely been an easy one to love!

Vapor,

I am so smitten with GdF that I am going to try to order her by mail. Not sure if everyone will be sold out now so might just have to wait til spring or so, unfortunately. I kept looking at pictures and have fallen in love so even though I couldn’t get her today I am going to save the spot for her. Some roses resonate with you at first glance and she definitely has done that for me!

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

I have prosperity.... I think it is TERRIBLY thorny.... It is very hard for me to weed around her because if I just look at her she ATTACKS!!!!!

rosiewells7b thanked sharon2079
  • rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good to know Sharon! Thorny roses that attack are definitely destined for less-travelled spots in gardens. Or in keeping neighbors out ha. Btw, our neighbors are pregnant with their 9th child currently. and no plans on stopping!!!!!

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor,

I just took a look at Antique Rose Emporium and they are indeed sold out of GdF, sadly :(

4 years ago

You should call. Sometimes they have things listed as OoS. If not get it during the Fall sale for Spring delivery. Their plants are 2 gallons and the roots fill every inch of the pot.

• jerijen
    4 years ago

While you're considering various climbers, allow me to toss in another plug for 'Mel's Heritage' -- if it's not TOO big. It has prickle, but not huge ones, and the fragrance (and in my conditions) disease-resistance are to die for. Burlington offers it.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor,

Thank you for the great suggestion and will do!

Jeri,

Your pictures of Mel are absolutely stunning but I fear it just might be too big? I’m hoping for one that I won’t have to mess with too much in keeping it contained in the spot I am currently working on. I will definitely keep an eye out for another place to put Mel. Is that just one bush in your shots? You do have some spectacular roses!

What about growing her up and over our storage shed? Or would that cause the roof to rot you think?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

I know you have lots of great choices made .. but just in case here is Renea . I got mine from burling . She is a nice grower , not rampant . She blooms all summer and has that sugar sweet fragrance I absolutely loved !! I need to find a close up photo somewhere. She is easy to clean with the brush of your hand or just shake the branches and the old petals fall off . She is thornless too so easy to weave however you like . She was wonderful to me !!

rosiewells7b thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lily,

Just wow!! She looks so amazing. Especially on your white arbor. Ugh, I just don’t know how people decide. I have become such a rose obsessed person haha.

4 years ago

Rosie, they don't decide! That's why we all end up with so many roses and spend endless hours figuring out where we can plant a few more! ; ))

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

How about Colette? Gorgeous peach blend color. She will bloom in almost complete shade. Also fragrant, lax canes (so the roses will nod down at you unlike my Mme Anisette) and not too thorny.

Your house is so charming. Getting rid of those bushes is a good call. Obstructs the house's great structure.

rosiewells7b thanked totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

What are the bushes you are removing?Where do you live again. I couldn't find it in the post although I thought you said so somewhere. You can add a location to your name. Mine shows in the GW site only, so maybe you already tried that.

4 years ago

I agree with what vapor says .. you end up spending your clothing budget on roses and wearing jeans with a hair tie to keep them closed instead of getting new ones .. I mean that happened to a friend not me of course!! :)

Totoro , is your Colette low on thorns ? Mine was really thorny I thought.. manageable but thorny . An absolute favorite though!

rosiewells7b thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    4 years ago

Hair ties sound like a good solution, although my friend has been know to favor binder clips! : )

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor and Lily,

It is like you guys know me so well haha! my husband knows for any gifts to just let me gets plants! I haven’t bought clothes in forever and don’t like when I have to. I always say I’m wasting money I could have used for plants; especially roses! Plus I live in yoga plants or workout shorts and old T-shirt’s since I spend every free moment in the yard babying my plants. Not much need for nice clothes!

Vapor,

I live in SC and the bushes that are coming out are two camellias and a sweet tea olive (which I am rooting so I can plant them somewhere else. As they are right now, we fight them every year to keep them in check and they get way overgrown really fast.

Lily,

I have Colette in my mind too but my husband has to clear the other half of our land before I can put more climbers. I spend so much of my thinking time shifting my garden and plants so I can make room for more but still keep cohesion.

4 years ago

Oh yes! I can see that they are ill placed. Sorry you have to go through the trouble of replanting them,but. glad to see you are just moving them to a more suitable location rather than just getting rid of them. I adore camellias and couldn't even imagine having one in my yard, so the idea of destroying one is too much! This is why I can't read the PNW forums with everyone complaining about Rhodies and azaleas!

I think we all spend are time thinking about roses. I often think there's something seriously wrong with me! : )) My DH says he knows there is! LOL! ;0

4 years ago

Vapor, you know we all think you are normal.

• rosiewells7b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor,

We actually have two glorious tree size camellias on the other side of the driveway. One is a pure white and the other is a deep crimson. They are the true specimens. I’ll try to remember to order ale pictures next year when they bloom. The ground become littered with hundreds dog blooms and is quite a sight. The lady who loved here before me had a love for camellias and azaleas. No roses, though! That is where I have come in haha. I can’t stop buying more. My husband is thankfully appreciative that I want to help make our yard beautiful and is so tolerant and supportive which I am thankful for. Although he owns me quite the side eye sometimes when I’m being a little overboard.

Lily, you are so right. No one is weird here!!!!!!!! It truly is nice to have like-minded rose lovers to talk to!

• Joseph Stegeman
    4 years ago

Hi! I recently purchased a Peggy Martin Rose from my local nursery. It had very few pink blooms already (3-4) and I live in Houston, Texas. We planted it in a sunny spot up against our 7 foot iron fence. It has since looked very "droopy" and does have some yellowing leaves which I pruned off. Any recommendations? Once I took it off the trellis is when it started to look not so good. I used a rose fertilizer and organic soil to plant it in the ground. Should I leave it alone and let it do it's thing?

• jacqueline9CA
    4 years ago

We do seem to be getting a LOT of old threads (some way older than this one) revived, sometimes without the last poster being aware that they were commenting on an old thread. Is this something HOUZZ has caused by their recent changes? The above comment appears to just be a question, and not a comment on this thread at all (I know sometimes people might revive a thread to ask, for instance, what was actually planted there, but I have seen several like this one which appear unrelated.).

Joseph - not criticizing your question at all - it just seems out of place. How long ago did you plant it? How big was it when you planted it? You say you "took if off the trellis" - was it al tall plant already growing on a trellis when you bought it? Newly planted roses frequently have damaged roots, so I try to prune them back a bit, NEVER feed them when planting, and make sure they get PLENTY of water (because their roots are damaged, and the plant needs to grow new roots before it will grow new anything). That is why I prune them back at least 1/3rd - the damaged roots might not be able to support the same size of top growth at first. Only feed them when they have recovered from transplanting (which you will be able to tell because they will start putting out new growth).

Jackie

4 years ago

I often comment on old posts to try and keep info on a particular rose in one place. Upon re-reading this one, I did want to mention that AntiqueRoseEmporium no longer carries Ghislaine de Feligonde (nor Phyllis Bide). I'm very sad about it this. HighCountry Roses still stocks GdF.

4 years ago

Jacqueline, I of course don’t know Joseph but I’ll hazard a guess that he is new and searched the boards for a topic similar to his needs and added on there. This happens often on my pregnancy forum I was a part of . A woman would bump up a thread rather than asking a new question and usually that person was new and didn’t realize all the pregnant ladies now had babies a year old or more !

I do bump up old threads too , just did in fact on the perfume breeze climber.

And of course could be a houzz mystery too :)

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Hi Joseph,

You might want to start a new thread with your question, and pictures of the rose in question if possible. If you start a fresh thread people from your area will be able to comment. There could be a lot of reasons why your rose is struggling. Too much fertilizer (as Jackie notes, over-fertilizing young roses can be a problem), too much or too little water, and even too much heat from your metal fence (but it seems a bit early in the year for that, no?). If the pH of the soil is off, that can also cause roses to be unhappy. They tend to like it on the acidic side of neutral (so between 6 and 7). Too acidic or too basic and certain nutrients become unavailable. Does any of this sound like it might be what is happening?

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

Ah - now I do see what you were referring to on your other thread, Jackie!

Houzz's practice of putting up suggested (supposedly) related threads on the side-bar may have something to do with this too, i think.. People seem often to click on them and add a comment, not realising the thread may be many years old...

Yes,I agree that a new thread, with photos if possible, would be a better spot for this question, Joseph, if you don't mind - I think you'll find more people will find and click on it if they have something relevant to contribute to your issue than with it tacked onto the end of this old thread. :-)

• Joseph Stegeman
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am new here and yes, commented on an older thread without realizing! I started a new question thread though so apologies on the confusion. I believe the PH of the soil may be off now that you mentioned that. I appreciate all of your help and we can close this now :)

4 years ago

I like the old threads and can learn from and enjoy them. I do comment on purpose sometimes on old threads.

4 years ago

I'm with you Sheila. Unless it's a very specific problem, I find most of what is written has universal rose to someone, so it's not much different to writing about a rose that can only be grown in TX, for example. I learn so much from old posts as many of those folks no longer comment and were expert. Some of the full garden pictures are an epiphany such as the tours Marlorena did of some stately homes near her a few years ago. It's just a shame that pictures don't always show up.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

No worries, Joseph - and my apologies, Sheila and Vac; just to clarify - I certainly didn't mean to imply that ANY posting on an old thread was 'bad'!!

I agree wholeheartedly about threads being invaluable as an information resource, with no time limit. That's always been the way on GardenWeb forums as far as I know. You used to be able to search for topics and find decades-worth of excellent advice and knowledge, on growing a particular rose for example - a fantastic resource. Not sure if we can still do this though, and my brain is too tired to think about it at the moment.

It can just get a bit muddled, sometimes, I think, when people don't realise it's an old thread because they've just seen it on Houzz's more recent introduction of 'helpful' suggestions of (usually UN-) 'Related' posts and go ahead and respond to the OP, thinking it's a current question they're seeking answers to - like Lily's good example of the lady who isn't in fact still pregnant 5 years later(!) - when it really only relates to a long-ago sorted garden issue. Then more people see it and start trying to help, and we're away...!

Not really a major problem, as problems go... :-) But I think maybe with all the recent blurring of the content of this specialised forum with the Modern/General Roses forum through too much indiscriminate cross-posting, it's as good a time as any to raise awareness of this other, somewhat annoying for some, muddling-up issue.

I really do think keeping the forum working well and more clearly on-topic (bar the occasional mention of a more modern rose or two, and those always welcome OT posts of regular posters) will make for it being a more enjoyable and useful resource in the long-term, for all of us.

4 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more on so many of these subjects!

3 years ago

Wondering what @rosiewells finally chose.