SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buttoni_8b

Ever seen a Calocephalus 'Bed Head'?

buttoni_8b
4 years ago

I just came across a photo (posted on Reddit) that had the most unusual, striking WHITE bush. I just had to ask what it was. Here's a link to the photo. It's the white stuff in the bottom pic: old.reddit.com/r/landscaping/comments/brt6go/labor_of_love_corner_lot/.  It's called Calocephalus "Bed Head". Loks almost like a giant moss, doesn't it? Man, I'm so taken with this plant for my yard I just ordered a packet of seeds from a place in Rochester NY. The Master Gardener that lived here before me planted mostly Heavenly Bamboo Nandina, dark green Liriope and scads of Aspidistra "Cast Iron" plants around the trees. Green, green, green, in other words, kind of monotonous visually. I have added colorful bougainvillia, periwinkle, verbena and Coleus. Have a few variegated plants for some CONTRAST with all the dark green out back!

I have never heard of this white plant and just have to have some in my beds out front for some contrast. Given her photo, it would put even Dusty Miller to shame for contrast POP! Hope I can get the seeds going when they arrive. She said they like heat, dry and will tolerate frost. I'm going to plant mine in pots when the seedlings take off so I can bring inside to my semi-outdoor atrium in winter. I cover those items with blankets also.

Aren't these just the most unusual specimens? Poster says it is very soft, so I think it will look nice in front of some of my liriopes and between my aspidistra clumps.

Comments (18)