SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Your favorite/best Kordes roses

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago

Which ones are your favorite/best Kordes roses? The majority I have do so good for me, but considering how many there are, I don’t really have that many, and when looking at the ones I don’t have, there are quite a few that I’m sure I would love.

My established ones are Poseidon, Beverly, Zaide, Plum Perfect, Crazy Love, and Out of Rosenheim. I’ve added Savannah, Quicksilver, Bliss and Solero this year.

Summer Romance failed for me, but I would give it another try.

I didn’t include any of the older Kordes, I have several. they‘ve mostly been good ones.

Comments (98)

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you vapor. Bordeaux seems to be a very nice little rose so far. I am hopping it will stay on the smaller side here. The blooms are charming and the color can be similar to DD. It also seems very healthy ( I have not been spraying it)

Deborah I Loveee your Rosarium Uetersen. It seems to be blooming very well for such a new plant. Please keep us updated on rebloom this year, my only problem with Kordes so far has been slow rebloom.

thank you Sara Fiji has been slower than the others to get going but otherwise is very nice. It was slow to rebloom last year so I am keeping an eye on it this year. I don’t want roses in my garden that don’t rebloom well.

Pat your dark desire is freaking amazing. I love monster roses. At this point I am laughing aloud at my level of stupidity. I am in trouble with the placement as I planted 3 in a small area in front of the house. It almost smothered Desdémona on its first year so I cut them down this winter. I might have to get brave enough to move at least 2 but those thorns are killer. Maybe at some point I will learn to plan better and I could stop having to dig everything up. Fiji has no scent whatsoever but it’s petals are thick and almost look plastic. It seems like it would be a good cut rose, tho I haven’t tested it.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pat, the stems on your Dark Desire look so long, it looks amazing! Is your DD grafted or own root?

Most of my older Kordes roses are good performers too and for the most part disease resistant.

BEROLINA HT has been blooming non stop since late April and is still putting on new growth.

LIEBESZAUBER HT is probably my best red Hybrid Tea, I have two that bloom all season long.

BRIDE’S DREAM HT

ROYAL WILLIAM HT - I’ve had this one the longest

SUNSPRITE FLORIBUNDA- A favorite because of its fragrance

I planted BLUE GIRL, even though I’ve read mixed reviews about it, thought I’d give it a try. I believe I saw a picture of BenT’s that’s about the prettiest I’ve seen of that rose, mine probably won’t look like that, but I can dream!

• Related Discussions

Your favorite Kordes roses...

Q

Comments (67)
    Living in cold Sweden I ought to have more hardy Kordes roses but I have very few. But then I have few modern roses at all. My favourites are Frühlingsduft, Raubritter and my newest favourite, Rotkäppchen (Red Riding Hood) introduced in 2007. I managed to catch three of my Kordes roses in one photo (a bad one I'm afraid, as my camera doesn't like red). The climber Flammentanz (Flame Dance) came with the house, there is a glimpse of Iceberg to the left behind the box hedge and three Rotkäppchen, in front, red with oldfashioned form. The distances are all wrong, the house is at least 10 metres away.
    ...See More

Opinions on your KORDES roses

Q

Comments (109)
    Kate, I saw the exact thing on Pomponella at the Columbus Garden of roses which led me to search for another in that color. I'll see how much time I have 4 up keeping such a rose, but I'm getting quite a collection and would like to have only a few that require so much care. Valerie, I found my own route Florentina took a long time to bloom. And its first year last year I didn't get a one, but this year it's bursting in bloom and is sending out huge mature canes now that I finally put it in the ground. It needs a bit of time but as well worth it. Mine is in a Southern Exposure with some light dappling from a redbud tree. I think I'm going to get another one this year so it can actually Bloom by next summer! LOL I have a large garage wall and I'm mixing them in with Phyllis Bide. If those two aren't a theft deterrent I don't know what is!
    ...See More

My best red rose is a Kordes

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you Kristine, Darcey is a wonderful rose. I have munstead woods also but it is younger and I have gotten some isolated pretty blooms so far. City scape has been wonderful. I don’t hesitate to recommend her. Just note it isn’t as small as advertised. Sorry here is a full area view even tho I have a bunch of funky weeds I haven’t cleaned. The smaller pinks on the foreground left are Alnwicks that were planted 2 months before cityscape.
    ...See More

Favorite German roses (Kordes, Tantau)?

Q

Comments (45)
    Thank you Rosecanadian and Flowers and all. I lost that Alchymist plant to cold! At least I think that's what did it. Maybe it was voles. It's supposed to be very hardy...Botanica's Roses rates it as hardy in zone 3. Kitty, Alchymist has a lot of different looks to it but often has a lot stronger coloring and can have some orange. Since it's a Kordes rose I'll add a picture or two. It is a very thorny rose with fat , beefy canes that can look ugly on the lower part. It would be good to grow something else to cover that . Blooms are large but have no fragrance.
    ...See More
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, Kordes should let you trial their roses and they ought to use your photos in their promotion ads. I also bought a bareroot Blue Girl and a Blue Moon, which may or may not be the same rose, this year. I know I'm just dreaming, too, but you don't know until you try. Back when I bought Colette, it was rated z7, and I believe it has been changed to z5 or 6 now. So, even the experts aren't always right.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • R pnwz8a
    4 years ago

I have 2 year olds savannah, summer romanceand moonlight. They are gorgeous when in bloom. Brand new fire opal and plum perfect. i liked both of them. The plum perfect color is very juicy kind;) and fire opal is a tiny bush but has already given me 6 blooms . They are both 1 month old in pots

sara_ann-z6bok thanked R pnwz8a
  • dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Flowers while at work I think my internet or phone doesn’t work very well. I always check the forum while I drink coffee or have the slightest break. I just saw your previous message. That is indeed me (not a very tall Cuban girl). I am leaning forward for the picture, but I am only 5’3 and 32 years old. Fiji was a large probably 2 to 3 gallon rose when I got her from my local Lowe’s a couple of years ago. That year I got Madame A, dark desire and Fiji. Since then the local supply of Kordes has been very limited and I wonder why they didn’t keep bringing all those awesome roses. Roses do seem to like our humid “Alabamian’ weather to grow and grow and also to black spot a lot. I thank you for the compliments to my garden and myself. No secrets around here. I add a well balanced fertilizer and water a lot on the weekends and try to add lots of manure like Diane does in the winter if posible. Last year I accidentally bought a pallet of manure with not so composted chicken poop in it. At some point my husband refused me entrance to the house until I was hosed down outside :) but the roses loved it. Thank you for sharing the link to your Bonny, there is something special about it. It makes me think of fantasy castles or Romeo and Juliet.

Savannah at the Birmingham botanical garden. I don’t think they spray and I did see some black spot, but even as a young plant it was beautiful.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

All 40 of my roses were planted this April, and I only have 1 Kordes.

It’s foliage is by far the best of the bunch though.

Caramella Fairy Tale looks so great that I'm extremely interested in the fairy tale and romantica series they have now.

This is its first bloom today. Attractive orange/red buds too.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flowers, thank you, I would go for that! Colette is a gorgeous rose, I love the pictures I’ve seen. R, I planted Savannah this spring and I’m very anxious to see its first blooms, I love the fragrance of that one. jc, your Caramella Fairytale is gorgeous!

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

I live in blackspot central in GA, but have some great Kordes roses in my no spray garden.

Earth Angel, Bliss, Poseidon, Dark Desires, Wedding Bells, Fiji, and Summer Romance (year 2, hoping it blooms more) are all disease resistant for me. Love them.

Plum Perfect, Quicksilver, and Honeymoon all get blackspot for me.

Soul Sister and Summer Memories have been removed due to powdery mildew (recurrent infections and spreading it to neighboring roses).

About to plant Cinderella Fairy Tale, Gypsy Soul, Florentina, Beverly, and First Crush.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
  • Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Forgot to mention Cream Veranda! It gets some blackspot, but blooms well. First year it had semi double blooms, but this year it's really wowed me with it's full blooms. Glad I didn't shovel prune it!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Rose Apothecary, I noticed you have Bliss, I planted one this year, hasn’t bloomed yet, but looks so healthy, anxious to see the blooms! How do you like Wedding Bells? I love Beverly, There are just so many great Kordes roses, but I know they’re not all perfect all the time, just trying to figure it all out, I sure love learning which ones are everyone’s favorites.and do the best for each of you.

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, Bliss is amazing, I love it and will get multiples of it one day. Wedding Bells is new from last fall. I had 2 blooms that I really liked, then rabbits ate it to the ground! It's bounced back well but still small. I think it'll be a winner though. Very healthy so far.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Rose Apothecary! Happy to know that about Bliss. I’ve been back and forth on Wedding Bells, wondering if it would be too similar to Beverly, even though it does look different in the pictures. I think Beverly is a beautiful color, but sometimes almost looks neon pink for me. Like the bloom here, which is near,ly perfect, but the color is almost too much! Still love it though.

I can’t wait for my Savannah to bloom, it is looking very good, and has about 15 buds on it.

Berolina just keeps blooming, love it when roses do that!

• witchygirrl6bwv
    4 years ago

The Earth Angel I planted last year from RU. Only a year old.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked witchygirrl6bwv
  • Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Sara Ann my Beverly is brand new so I can't say how similar they are yet. I think if you have space, Wedding Bells is still worth getting. How big does your Beverly grow?

I am thinking about s/p Savannah... healthy but awkward bush and the flowers do nothing for me. Strange bc I know a lot of people love her. Space is so limited... hmmmm...

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Witchygirl, your Earth Angel is looking good.

RA, I’m sure I’ll end up getting a Wedding Bells at some point. I love the fragrance of Savannah, the grafted bush I just planted looks so healthy and has about 15 buds on it. I planted another Beverly too. My established Beverly is about 6 ft tall I think. I think I’ve had it since 2014.

• R pnwz8a
    4 years ago

Moonlight
    Plum perfect

sara_ann-z6bok thanked R pnwz8a
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you R, love the uniquely beautiful color of your Moonlight and I really do like Plum Perfect!

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    4 years ago

Someone asked about Queen of hearts fairy tale

It does get some black spots in my climate

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    4 years ago

Queen of hearts fairy tale

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    4 years ago

I asked about queen of hearts. I was intrigued by the colouring. Considering you said it gets some black spot; your's looks pretty good to me!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I would love to hear more about Harlequin and Antique 89. I consider them every year, but don't know enough them to order.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

My new favourite is Bordeaux Citiscape Pretty fragrant flower and always in bloom.

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    4 years ago

Queen of hearts is clean til July. I have a super humid climate.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

This thread has been a wonderful tutorial in Kordes roses. I had no idea of the scope of this group, and how many very pretty roses are included. As a lover of old roses I must admit that I'm not fond of the growth habit and the large leathery leaves of the Kordes roses, but there's always a trade-off, and these qualities no doubt make these roses more disease-resistant. My only Kordes rose is Plum Perfect, and it has put on very little growth, which I think is due to rose replant disease, but the one bloom I've had recently lasted for days in the heat, and that makes it a winner in my book. Of the many roses discussed here I'm most attracted to Poseidon, Quicksilver, Bonny and Bliss.

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    4 years ago

Update: Poisedon and Fiji now have some blackspot (less than 50%).

• User
    4 years ago

The top one for me has to be Golden Fairy Tale. Tall HT/Grandiflora? Disease resistant and winter hardy. Truly plant and forget, my type of rose

• User
    4 years ago

Another photo

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    4 years ago

farmerduck:

Were those Golden FT photos taken today (July 26) here in NJ?

• Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

I think my favorite Kordes rose I’ve grown so far has been First Crush. The fragrance of fruit salad and the irregular/substantial blooms are wonderful. Earth Angel has a similar fragrance and was healthier but I didn’t care for the way the blooms looked like a dirty cream - I don’t know if it is my moist/humid environment or what. I lost it during it’s first winter and I almost want to try it again to see if that improves with age.

I received Quicksilver last year and it was a bit slow to get going but blooming well now and I was surprised that it has had a moderate fragrance. The color is amazing!

4 years ago

Dave, do you do anything special for your First Crush? I would love to grow it, but out of 3, I only have 1 left and it's a pitiful looking little thing. One was grafted and 2 were own root, but none did well here and dwindled down to a few inches. My zone might even be the same as yours by now, but that rose just wanted something I didn't have or didn't know to give it. The last one is coming out this year unless I figure out how to help it.

• Dave5bWY
    4 years ago

I’m sorry yours have been dwindling, flowers. Mine has stayed compact at about 3 feet but hasn’t been weak. I could only guess your zone/climate being the major factor. I purchased mine from Lowes in the 2 (or 3?) gallon containers a few years ago. They only carried FC for a couple of years and, sadly, none of the Parfuma collection was sold this year. Heirloom clearanced their stock and Palatine did not carry it this year and will not carry it next year. (I’m looking for more) I wonder if others have problems with this rose - weak grower, less disease resistant than would be expected from Kordes, etc. I wonder if it is going to be discontinued. I hope not. Do you have yours in the ground or pot? Mine was a decent size when I purchased it but I grew it in a 15 gallon pot for a season to put on even more growth before it went in the ground.

4 years ago

Dave, all of mine were in the ground. One came from Northland as an own root and two came from big box stores, probably grafted - don't remember. I don't believe Northland sells it anymore, so it may just not be the rose for this climate. I am surprised to hear neither Heirloom or Palatine will carry it anymore. A lot of people have had great success with it. I love looking at those blooms, and might try again someday.

• hugogurll
    4 years ago

Hands down....South Africa. In my mild climate, many of the rest of them just grow too big.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

I didn't realize so many kordes roses I have until I started seeing some of you naming what you have in your yards.

I love out of rosenheim I love the color of Fiji Earth angel is growing on me and Beverly is a champ.

Apparently I have no pictures of Fiji

I had Savannah but found her to have huge foliage and few blooms. So she got the shovel.

4 years ago

I forgot Plum perfect and Quicksilver. They are both babies so hopefully next year I will be able to give a positive review

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    4 years ago

A few Kordes are bulletproof of bs in my 90+ F and 67% humidity weather this summer:

Summer Romance

Earth Angel

Kiss me Kate

Honeymoon

Florentina

The rest did well in the spring but have bs more or less right now:

Savannah

First Crush

Mislabeled Cream Veranda

Fiji

Plum Perfect

Soul Sisters

Quicksilver

Needless to say, the ones stayed clean from bs performed well and became my favorites this year.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Which Kordes roses have the best scents? Thank you.

I put up with Savannah's huge bush but few blooms (in 4 hrs. of morning sun) since its scent is wonderful. I love Poseidon's health and continuous blooming (10 time smore blooms than Savannah), but Poseidon has a faint clove/grassy scent. Below is Savannah next to Twilight Zone bloom:

Poseidon is loaded with blooms even during July 4th hot and dry at 90 F:

Thank you for any info. on Kordes' scents, I hope to find another Kordes with good scent. Saw Cream Veranda at HomeDepot for only $5 many years ago, but I didn't like its weird fruity scent, so I didn't buy. No regret.

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Straw, for me Savannah turned. in to a behemoth of greenery with few blooms . She met Mr Shovel

2 years ago

Fiji

Bliss

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

Beverly fits the bill.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    2 years ago

Wow!! Beautiful. Poseidon doesn’t bloom much for me. I love the scent of madame anisette and Earth Angel is quickly becoming a favorite!!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    last year

Please share your updates on how the Kordes roses are performing for you! Have you had good luck?

I’ve added a few new ones this year. Some have been planted and some are still in pots.

These are the newbies:

Bliss

Dark Desire

Florentina

Heaven on Earth

Honeymoon on fort

Kiss Me Kate

Plum Perfect on fort

Poseidon on fort

Do you have any experience with these? How do they perform for you? Which have the best fragrance to you? thanks!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    last year

I also might try to grab a Laguna and a Quicksilver tomorrow from a local nursery. How do these perform no-spray?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Laguna is spotless here and Quicksilver was pretty dang good until late fall. Kiss Me Kate is slooooooow. Bliss is excellent and Heaven on Earth has stunning flowers but the plant shape itself is a bit wonky-nothing that would deter me from recommending it though

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

My Kordes roses all only have one season under their belt, I'm really looking forward to this year! Laguna, Alchemist, and Raubritter are entering year 2 this year, and Morgengruss will be new for me.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Poseidon matured iinto a very nice bush for me, mine was on Fort, too

Pardon the electrical equipment, I know it does’t complement the pale lavender blue, but I plant the rose whereever I can!

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    last year

Wow!! I can only dream….

• Ken Wilkinson
    last year

I have a couple of roses from the Kords family. In my garden, they are great roses.

Kiss Kordana---A beautiful red mini that you can buy at the local grocery store.

Hannah Gordon---A big, strong floribunda. White blooms tipped in bright red.

Folklore---A big HT that produces large, soft orange blooms that have a great fragrance.

Folkmagic---Just received this year. A sport of Folklore. A soft cream color bloom on a bush that is identical to Folklore.

Photo's to come this growing season.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

I only have two on your list, Sunny; Kiss Me Kate and Plum Perfect. In my Arizona climate, KMK throws thick, stiff canes straight for the sky, 8 to 10 feet tall. There is no way to do much training or bending of any kind. They aren’t flexible even when the canes are young and fresh. They snap off with very little pressure, so a gentle fanning of the canes is all I can accomplish on mine. She is very vigorous, breaking new basal canes all during the growing season. Her spring flush is delectable, big fat cup cupcake booms with a fragrance that I love. Unfortunately, I don’t get very much rebloom, but this will be my 4th summer with her and I keep hoping for improvement in that area. I pruned her back pretty hard this spring and am hoping that kickstarts her blooming into overdrive.
    Plum Perfect is only starting her second year in my garden and the first summer in the ground as I kept her in a pot the first season. She has been maintenance free and beautiful and I have no complaints except for her lack of fragrance, but I don’t think PP ever has much fragrance and in my arid climate, not much can be expected.