SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_willis1260

Spare Walk In Closet Organization

Aimee Willis
4 years ago

So just let me preface with saying that so far every DIY I have engaged in has failed me miserably.

The goal was to buy a single Ikea PAX tower for our nursery reach in closet (completely different room) and put shelving beside it like in the picture shown. (One with the power drill). This was the initial plan.

The closest Ikea is 3.5 hours away and the shipping was going to be over $200. So I decided to drive there instead and make the most out of it.

I measured the reach in closet and figured that a 22” depth tower would work. Never mind the fact that I didn’t account for how it being that deep would mean we would lose the sides because we wouldn’t be able to reach in the closet.

SO...we called and we can take it back, but there’s absolutely no way to do that seeing as it’s already assembled and barely fit unassembled. The husband decided we could instead stick it in our spare walk in closet which he had moved into once we took away the reach in closet for the nursery for him to store his police officer equipment and uniforms.

Even moving it in this closet it’s still too deep. The space is 4’ wide and and 7’6” long with 8’ ceilings. I can’t flip it sideways and put it on the side wall because you’ll only have a 10” to stand to get things out of drawers.

I’m basically stuck. With the tower where it is, it allows me 18.5” left in the width, and 67” if I start measuring at the base of the tower. I asked the husband what he needs the most for his room and he said he said he needs the closet to handle tall and medium length hanging, and places for his duty belt and work boots.

He just moved his work stuff into the spare closet to make room for a nursery closet, so where we used to store like Christmas decorations and other stuff since we didn’t have an attic, we’re having to do some shifting. I just don’t know what to do since I have this predicament with the tower being the wrong depth to begin with. I feel stuck.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz