SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

Dry kishu fruits on tree -- any use for 'em?

shebabee
4 years ago

Hi, all,

Long time since I've been here, but as always, I have a question. My @3-yr-old container kishu tree put out a gazillion fruits this year . . . and sadly, for months I wasn't keeping on top of things in the garden and I assume I under-watered and underfed my tree. The upshot is that the fruits are small (calamansi size) and dry -- no juice. I've left them on the tree and now flower buds are forming, but I am sure it's important to harvest those old fruits. I hate to waste -- do you think they might possibly make a passable jam or marmalade--using the whole fruit with peel? They still look good and haven't begun to brown or shrivel up.

Last year, the tree put forth a good number of fruits and on the day I found that they were finally ready for harvest, I tasted two and they were AMAZING. So off I happily went to work for the day and when I returned that evening I found that the scrub jays had stripped the tree literally bare. There was not ONE fruit left. Wouldn't you know--this year, the birds are not at all interested!

Regards to all you citrus mavens, and thanks for your suggestions.

Sheba

Comments (3)