SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bastet984

Warm solutions for concrete basement floor with mild water issues

bastet984
4 years ago

We have a 1978 house with a walkout basement that is poured concrete. We are located in MN, so we get all the seasons - very cold, very wet, and very humid. There is a living room and an office for a total of 380 square feet. I need to figure out a flooring solution, but the requirements are: it needs to be as WARM as reasonably possible (again, this is MN and these rooms will be my office 5 days a week and a playroom for our kids) and it needs to hold up against possible moisture.

We have a sump pump in the laundry room that runs frequently during the rainy months but we have not historically had many water issues. However, we recently discovered water in the office when I pulled up the (5 year) old vinyl click tile. We figured out it was primarily an issue with the sump pump, which we have fixed and has kept the water from accumulating as much. I also painted two coats of Drylock masonry waterproofer.

However, the flooring contractor came by and won't install the either the Dricore or the flooring because his concrete moisture meter is reading a "10" in some areas of that office floor. He wants to see it 6 or below. I bought a dehumidifier and after 8 hours the floor is now reading an 8-9 in those areas, but because I know the issue is coming from under the slab, I do not believe this is much of a solution. It is not coming from the walls -- the water is only in the middle of the floor and clearly was coming from some cracks and general hydrostatic pressure.

I also do not want to just lay the vinyl tile directly on the concrete, because we had that in the office and I had a space heater on my feet even in the summer when it was 90 degrees outside - COLD and hard. And it traps water because it doesn't breathe. I refuse to do carpet (or carpet squares) because we have a cat with urine issues and two office chairs that roll around and I think carpet squares are ugly. I have read a lot about how Dricore causes mold issues if you don't have the moisture issues under wraps, so I get that it's not as popular with some flooring contractors. But logically it seems like the option that should work the most.... an underlayment raised off the floor and a hard base to lay the LVT on?

Does anyone have advice on a good sealer that will prevent moisture from coming up in our slab and that could go over the sealer I already tried? Or a flooring solution that can live with the moisture but still be reasonably warm? I'm trying to avoid having to do drainage tile or other high-labor and cost solutions and wondering if there are things I am not finding in online searches.

Thank you!

Comments (5)