SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pink_peony

New AC unit Question

pink_peony
4 years ago

Here goes. Brand new home. Has Trane A.C. units. Two units . We’ve been in the home 10 months . Shortly after move in our downstairs A.C. wasn’t working and we had to call for service. They put freon in it and said that when there are new units sometimes the freon needs to be bumped up after initial use. Today after ten months we went into the attic to get something and saw that there was water standing in the A.C. pan. Noticed it was hot upstairs. Called A.C. company. They came out and said upstairs unit was low on freon. They also said that they changed our air filter and that because we had a thick air filter in the upstairs intake vent it was putting strain on the unit. He said we need to use the cheap thin filters and change them every 30 days vs using the allergen filter that are changed every 90 days. I , in all my years have never once heard of this. It just doesn’t seem like anything but a made up scenario to me.

Is this legitimate? Is it normal to have to have freon put in units that are new and less than a year old? What about the filter thing? I’m just not buying it!

Comments (39)

• dan1888
    4 years ago

I use a 4" Purolator Merv 14 filter. I'd kick that guy out the door. Call Trane.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Actually, my HVAC guy did mention that the better filters DO cause there to be a strain on the system because they are so thick.....they have to work harder to suck the air through the filter. That being said though, I have no problem with my system and I use the ridiculously expensive thicker filters.

• Related Discussions

I need a new heater/AC unit

Q

Comments (19)
    "If I did have a warranty that I was unaware of, would they pay for a new unit?" - No. If you had a warranty on the heat exchanger, they would only pay for the heat exchanger part. You would pay labor. "I plan on getting at least 6 quotes and let me get this right.... I need to get each one in writing and it must include all warranty info and model number and I should ask about ductwork. Ductwork is part of the installation cost..right? so when they qive me a quote for installation I need to make sure that they are actually checking the ducts and they need to show me diagrams? If they act wishy washy and not spend time explaining things to a woman then they could be taking advantage and be careful." - Yes, yes, yes, yes. You need no ductwork diagrams. You need to know the condition of your ducts that tie into the new unit (one supply duct and one return duct), if any repairs need to be made to the tie-in, and the cost is to be included and written on the quote (there should be no issue with the tie in, you are just covering all bases). Remember, that quote is the only thing that you have that states what the contractor says he will do for what you are paying. It doesn't matter what he says, it matters what is written on the quote. I don't understand what you mean by a hybrid. A "gas-pack" is a gas furnace, a/c system, and blower in one outdoor box. There is no indoor unit with a gas-pack. If it had an indoor component, it would be called a "split-system". If the unit is on the ground outside the house, I would go out to the unit with each contractor and have them show you the ductwork tie-in and any other issues. Take care.
    ...See More

AC unit quote questions

Q

Comments (1)
    What is location? Need furnace model numbers, size, eff for Vendor A and Vendor B quotes. All 3 ton AC condensers quoted? What size condenser are you replacing and what size and eff furnace are you replacing? Post back. IMO
    ...See More

new a/c unit needed

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm unsure of what you mean by variable-speed A/C. The XL15i runs at one speed, but it's hard to get high efficiencies (typically over 14) without a variable-speed blower. What is the current make of the furnace you have now? Some furnaces can run for a while if you take good care of them as you seem to be doing. You don't have to match brands with the air conditioner and furnace (though you do for the air conditioner and coil), but it is nice to do so. What's nice about replacing everything at nice is that you can get an ARI-approved match-up and save some money (in most cases). But, being 15 years old and in fine condition, it may not be necessary, so in this case, I'd just go with a 13 SEER outdoor unit if you plan on keeping the furnace another 5 years or so (until it needs replacing). If you elect to switch everything at once, I'd go with the 15 SEER Trane--it is a nice unit. Did these companies examine your ductwork and provide improvement suggestions (air filtration, etc.)? I recommend Trane's XL800 or XL900 (preferably) thermostat. I'll let others comment on your situation; it's ultimately up to you--I can only make suggestions. : )
    ...See More

Getting a New A/C - Heating Unit

Q

Comments (3)
    Get at least 3 quotes. The more quotes you get, the more cost spread you will see among the quotes and you can question why. Manufacturers include Trane/American Standard, Carrier/Bryant, Lennox, Rheem, and Goodman. Get a 10 year parts and labor warranty included.
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Some of those allergen filters that have a high particle rating can be excessively restrictive if the return size is marginal for the capacity of the system. I use 3M Filtrete Allergen Defense 800, which is the lowest level for that product line (800, 1000, 1085, 1200). I have one system with two 20"x25" returns. No problem has yet been evidenced.

Refrigerant addition is not (should not) be needed if the system was properly charged at the start unless there's a leak. That being said, proper charge typically requires warm weather ... so it could have been initially undercharged if the installation was done during cold weather.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

No. Need for Freon is due to leak somewhere in system. Call Trane. Get model and serial number off the compressor. It is their warranty. Get your warranty manual handy too when you call. Take photos in attic of any issues you can see. If this us newer unit, it might even have different cooling medium! Trane has gotten our units and thermostats working despite our horrible technician. Just had to go around original installer. Good luck.

• gthigpen
    4 years ago

Agree with Flo. Freon should not be low on new units. There is a leak somewhere, likely in the coils. Call Trane.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Agree. I use a MERV 11 filter in my Trane unit with no problems.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Any time you put something in the path of moving air it impedes the airflow to a certain extent. For filters, the more they filter out, the denser they are and the more they restrict air flow. And if you don't change them often enough, the airflow gets worse.

If the airflow gets restricted enough, the evaporator can freeze into a block of ice (this can also happen if your condenser is too big). That may be where the water was coming from--the block of ice melts in an area that is outside the condensate collector and drips on the floor.

My HVAC company also recommends the cheap spun glass filters. They say that unless you have dogs or cats shedding or bad allergies, that the cheap filters are fine. Better airflow is more efficient too.

In reality, the filters are there primarily to protect the HVAC unit--the fans and the heat exchanger--from getting clogged with dust.

I switched back to the spun glass type.

• PRO
    Servigon Construction Group
    4 years ago

Agree, sounds like a leaky system. Either at the coil or in the line-set inside the house

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

TaTTS we have always used the allergen types of air filters as we have a dog and four asthmatics with severe allergies living in the home. We’ve never had an issue with this type of filter in any of our 3 previous homes which were significantly larger homes than this one too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

A thoughtful and knowledgeable technician would want to test to find the leaks before refilling it.

• tigerdunes
    4 years ago

I am not disagreeing with what's been said here. Is this the first time your AC has been in use? How much freon was added to system? if system was not working at all, this indicates a serious leak. Leaks can rarely be repaired. Obviously the system should be under warranty. Doubtful labor is covered unless you had extended warranty. You can not find a leak without a profsssional leak test, a recharge of refrigerant with added dye. That comes with a cost. Discuss options and their cost with your dealer so you can make an informed decision. Sorry for your trouble.

IMO

pink_peony thanked tigerdunes
  • David Cary
    4 years ago

Units can be designed for 4 inch filters near the unit or thin filters. People describing 4 inch filters do not have the same situation you do.

Whether a system can handle the allergen type filters (1 inch) has nothing to do with the brand of the unit. It has to do with the design of the install. Generally, there is not excess filter area so units are more efficient and have less strain with the cheap 30 day filters.

Do not take anecdotal advice on filters from the internet. I have had houses that did fine with the allergen type filters also but it is always less strain and more efficient with cheap filters. It just doesn't matter much in some installs.

pink_peony thanked David Cary
  • BT
    4 years ago

It is a leaky system. Filter is a totally different issue.

Average system has 5# of refrigerant and comes pre charged. You do have to add some refrigerant to compensate for the extra length of the suction and liquid lines but this is done during the install. System should not be losing the refrigerant presumably 410a. When installed I demand from the Installer to pressurise the system and show that vacuum holds or pressurize it with Nitro. The company I worked for had a leak sensor, and we would quickly go and check for leaks after the install because callbacks cost money and time. With nearly everyone in HVAC C/R using digital manifold/gauges today the process should be idiot proof. It is not.

Many times losing even .1 oz/year makes a difference. It sounds like your system is leaking and leaking a lot. Leaking systems absorbs moisture, that quickly turns into acid - bad for your system and addition to H410a has 2088 Global Warming Potential.

=

Tell the installer to pull out leak sensor and get checking.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

pink-peony,

This is the problem with new homes and HVAC (installation) contractors that service them. They are builders not true service providers.

They install a unit or two here, then move onto the next build somewhere else.

If I understand your original post you moved in and within 10 months of taking ownership of this home you found a unit to not be working. The HVAC installer came back and recharges it?

Why would he do that? His labor is 12 months long on this new build. Recharging it gets another 10 months and gets him over the labor warranty part of the arrangement in buying a new home.

By your post I am thinking it's now been 20 months since you took possession of this home. So the 1 year home warranty provided by the builder is now up, so you called a different company and they are telling you something else like a filter problem, but yet again recharged the system?

Am I right?

I service the Katy, Texas area.

pink_peony thanked Austin Air Companie
  • mike_home
    4 years ago

Is this legitimate? Is it normal to have to have freon put in units that are new and less than a year old? What about the filter thing? I’m just not buying it!

If you closed on your house 10 months ago, then you have two months left on your labor warranty. This company is waiting for the labor warranty to expire so they can charge you for both labor and additional refrigerant. They know there is a leak but they don't want to fix it. They are using the band aid approach of adding more refrigerant.

To answer your question it is not normal to have to add refrigerant to any new system. You have a leak that needs to be repaired. If you don't repair it then you will be adding refrigerant for the life of the system.

What you could do is call the company back a week before the one year anniversary and tell them the upstairs unit is not cooling well. Hopefully they will measure the refrigerant and see it has dropped. This is where you demand the leak be found and fixed. It will be a fight, but I don't think you any other option other than hiring someone else to find and fix the leak.

As far as the filter goes, I suggest using a MERV 8 filter and changing it when it is dirty. I suspect you any have a one inch media filter installed at the return grille. It is not an ideal set up but it works. The return is probably too small and that is why they told you not to be in an allergen type filter which restricts the air flow.

Home builders hire the cheapest HVAC contractor they can find. You may have good equipment but if it was not properly installed then you are will have long term problems. Are you able to discuss this with the builder? Get this documented as on ongoing problem that has not been resolved.

pink_peony thanked mike_home
  • chiflipper
    4 years ago

Call Trane and get their rep on-site. Calculating the size of unit / size of ducts / placement & size of returns is a SKILL - not a guessing game. Sadly, most new builds are done as cheaply & as fast as possible.

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your informative replies. Some of you know that this build and been long and arduous. I have to start by correcting myself. Our units are NOT TRANE. They are LENNOX. Initially way back when we first contracted to build we were told Trane so hence my assumption that is what we got. I want to answer a few questions

1. the home is 2700 square feet and is what they call a story and a half

2. We are in a hot humid climate , North Carolina

3. We have 3 intake vents and 2 units one up and one down.

4. Yesterday they replaced a 1/2# of freon into the upstairs unit. Previously they had replaced freon in the down stairs unit shortly after we moved in last summer

5. We closed in this home in July 2018. We moved in August 2018 so we have lived here roughly 10 months.

6. Our one year warranty expires July 12, 2018 all submissions must be made by June 12, 2019.

I have taken some photos to help answer questions as well. First here are the units as they sit outside our home

New Build · More Info

and inside our home

New Build · More Info

Here is the upstairs floorpan with the units marked by the red boxes and the intake vent marked with the X

New Build · More Info

Here is a picture of the intake vent

New Build · More Info

and here is a picture of the filter we were using in the intake vent with size appearing on bottom

New Build · More Info

Here is the downstairs floor plan with intake vents marked by red X's and the outside units location shown by red boxes

New Build · More Info

photos of downstairs intake vents

first master bedroom

New Build · More Info

second great room

New Build · More Info

and these are the filters we use in them

master

New Build · More Info

great room

New Build · More Info

last here is a picture of each individual unit in the attic space. I am not sure which is upstairs and which is downstairs.

New Build · More Info

New Build · More Info

Thanks again for the informative responses.

• tigerdunes
    4 years ago

what size are upstairs and downstairs AC condensers? What size are your return(s) upstairs and downstairs? 3M filters are generally frowned upon as being too restrictive. I am not certain you are going to get the help you need from your installer with the expiration of their full warranty pending. I fear they want to run out the clock. I assume up until now you have not been out of pocket for their visits/repairs. Yes/no? The leaks are more of a concern than the filter. I assume you have already replaced the 3M types. I would like to see another return downstairs. your problems may be install related. I would give thought to a second opinion but the clock is ticking.

IMO

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Where would i find the size information on the units? The intake vent size is listed on the photos i have provided of the filters , no?

• gthigpen
    4 years ago

pink - look for the model numbers on the units. Those usually have a specific nomenclature that will indicate how many tons they are.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Yikes pink! Sounds like a leak unless they didn't fill them all the way up to begin with. Ours did not come precharged. And PITA to go in attic once a month or even every three months.

• tigerdunes
    4 years ago

nameplates with model info will be on the back of the outside condensers. I would get rid of the 1" filters and add pleated filter media cabinets at the furnaces.

IMO

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

PINK- just noticed you listed: Our one year warranty expires July 12, 2018 all submissions must be made by June 12, 2019.

pretty sure you meant July 12, 2019>>>

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suzy it’s amazing how you sell your large custom home and downsize with a newly constructed home with the goal being lower Mainenance to free up more time and money and instead this home has taken up about 75% of our time and energy since conception. To say I’m over it is an understatement and yet i realize that right there and in itself is the builders goal. For me to be so over it that i give up. The thing is I’m an American mut Comprised of all the nationalities known for their stubbornness and persistence!

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Cheryl, thank you! Closed 2018

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

You are talking about the builder warranty. Stay on them pink. Lennox warranty is at least 5 years.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would demand the builder fix this since the condition existed from the beginning. I'm guessing your "Team" messed it up somehow, and you need to get a new unit(s). I'd start there! Your builder warranty is for one year I'm sure, but they fall back on the manufacturer warranty. That's what they usually do. So, you definitely need the manufacturer's rep to come out and inspect in a professional way and then make them get with the builder.

• pink_peony
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the info off the outside units

New Build · More Info

New Build · More Info

• tigerdunes
    4 years ago

for OP

put your concerns in writing to your installer with date...

it appears you have low end Lennox AC condensers....downstairs 3 ton, upstairs 1 1/2 ton sizes...

IMO

• BT
    4 years ago

" Yesterday they replaced a 1/2# of freon into the upstairs unit. Previously they had replaced freon in the down stairs unit shortly after we moved in last summer "

If it work when you moved in Your system lost 1/2# in 10 month, that is like 10oz a year!.

I hunt down 0.1 oz /year leaks. The 0.3oz/year - are medium leaks, 1 oz large leaks.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Tigerdunes.....can you please educate me. Where does it show the tonnage of each unit?

• BT
    4 years ago

036 3 tons and 18 is 1.5

12 is a ton.

• kevinande
    4 years ago

nidnay it is embedded in the model number. Put he model number into a search engine and it will give you the results.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Nidnay - Weirdly I look at these labels (and water heaters) a lot when I'm looking for investment properties and at inspections. See the model # before the dash. The top one ends 36. The bottom one ends 18. This is divided by 12 (12,000 BTUs) to get the tons. Tons is how fast it can remove 12,000 BTUs of heat. And I believe the 3-ton was manufactured in 2018 and 1.5 in 2017 from the serial #s. Those size units seem appropriate for pink's house sq ft but there are other factors to determine the appropriate size. In CA with sky high electric rates people also look at the SEER rating to compare how much it will cost to run the units. Its like MPG in a car, but the more "miles per gallon" you get, the more the unit costs to buy, but less to operate. Huh?

Pink - If you are losing freon you have a leak because those units were factory charged. You will have been paying more to run them too the lower it got. I'd contact the manufacturer directly to see what they say about them being defective.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Thanks guys.

I found this..

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

We had two 5 tons when we lived in Poway. Summer months were $1200.

• North Texan
    4 years ago

I've successfully used 3M filters, but nothing as restrictive as a 2200 rating. I stick with the 1500/1550 units and have little issue, and in fact the 800 and 1200 value units are rated as more restrictive on airflow in testing.

What I don't see on your units is tigerdunes favorite bit of kit, a media cabinet. The 3 2200 1" filters are probably quite a bit more restictive than a pair of 2200 4" filters at the units would be, so they may not be entirely wrong about loading the system. I'd drop down to 1500/1550 or 1200 rated filters.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Dear Pink, after your initial issue is corrected please be sure to do a yearly "check for level" on the condenser unit. The plastic pad that the unit sits upon can shift due to vibration and weather issues. If the condenser is out of level the bearings will burn out much faster. A poured concrete pad is much preferred.